All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

black1blade wrote:
Maybe it's just 3 members or something. Thorin gandalf and bilbo.

It's about the same price as the white council, so... assuming that each WC member accounts for 2 Dwarves, that's at least 8 of the company. We're getting five and a Hobbit pretty much FREE! Right? Guys? That's how it works, right? :wink:

The sad thing is... I need a Thorin with Orcrist, since I went and built the EFGT one with his normal sword. Then GW made the Young Thorin for that. So I'll probably be getting it.

Unless it's Thirteen Dwarves in Barrels. Move 0 (unless they deploy in water terrain), Fight 1, Evil player has to have priority in order to charge them. :D One can only hope.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is the list definite? I'm inclinded to believe it is, there's nothing there that we haven't seen an image for. It's hardly electrifying though, but I do intend to pick it all up at some stage, only perhaps not so soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gene Parmesan wrote:
Is the list definite?

Nope, certainly not. But based on other rumours (and the releases for other systems listed there), I'm reasonably convinced.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Goldman25 wrote:
Interesting ... what do the colours mean? Barrels out of Bond, is labelled in green. Bit disappointed to see Mirkwood Spiders being in Finecast rather than plastic, but I'm not too surprised.

I am going to speculate that green is direct only.
I am sad to see fine cast anything because I will not buy it. I am also not going to pay $25 for a plastic miniature. I will look at the book then decide if I buy anything else from GW. It does not seem likely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

All the red and green items at the bottom are listed as Route to market: D, which I assume means Direct Only.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nothing on the list to go wow about, (except Mirkwood Rangers) shame no Box set :-(
I wonder how long we will have to wait for Smaug, if they ever do him of course.
Being a sad completist I will have to eventually get it all :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GW already managed Radagast in plastic, they are doing the same for legolas and Tauriel and I would have preferred if the other heroes/commanders had also been plastic. No doubt there will be more in phased releases over the 4-6 months after the film comes out.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
They made a 2' long dragon model back in the 80s.. which was so heavy that the molds broke. Wings couldn't be cast, had to make a membrane yourself.
http://www.solegends.com/citdragon/thedragon/index.htm

The chicken dragon!! Its great I own one - a much better dragon is Nick Bibby's Great Spined dragon - I was lucky enough to pick one up last week, that would make a good Smaug.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The chicken dragon!! Its great I own one - a much better dragon is Nick Bibby's Great Spined dragon - I was lucky enough to pick one up last week, that would make a good Smaug.[/quote]
Did you get it when it came out or were you able to find one later?

GSD here http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/201 ... pined.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Its a long time since I have seen that an image of that model. I love the monsters of that period!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

this looks like more than I thought would be released, and only Spiders for the evil start (and fine cast leg snappers) (plus a sort of bad guy). The elves look good in the film, but they are still elves thus the pop stars of fantasy, I will eventually have to buy them and add them to the ever growing pile of elves I someday have to open up and paint. Not a bad release series though. I won't even tough dwarves in underwear inside barrels... the equipment I assume would be preloaded in a barrel by Bilbo before they make the escape.

someone mentioned that they hope the AUJ profiles are in the book because they are not in the mini rulebook. That is not a valid reasoning as the pdf with all the points and profiles for what is in the EFGT set is on the website. So they don't need to give anymore freebies to anyone and only need the new profiles in the bok to make it a normal supplement.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oldman Willow wrote:
The chicken dragon!! Its great I own one - a much better dragon is Nick Bibby's Great Spined dragon - I was lucky enough to pick one up last week, that would make a good Smaug.

Did you get it when it came out or were you able to find one later?

GSD here http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/201 ... pined.html[/quote]

I was lucky enough to snag one from Gumtree last week - couldn't believe it when I did a random search and it came up, been looking for the old set of Dragons for a while (Still had to pay a fair price since it was MIB) - got 7 others for a song tho, lucky week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Could 'barrels out of bond' be the new starter set?! That would awesome :) I always thought that would make a fantastic scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ouch, $40 for a plastic infantry set, now? Hopefully they're still 12 models per set, and the 10-man Dale set was a bit of an anomaly, but I won't hold my breath.

If I like the character designs and models enough, I guess I can see myself springing for some of the Mirkwood elves, probably not much else though. Being on a bit of a shoe-string budget, I'll probably be mostly holding off for the armed/armored Battle of Five Armies versions of most of these guys.

I would kind of guess that, with a price tag of only $65, being listed as finecast, and there being a separate book, Barrels Out of Bond is just a fun box, although if the sculpts in there are actually usable for gaming (outside of water scenarios...), then it might be a good deal in addition to just being fun models to paint up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:06 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

HURRAH!

I've been in Paris for a couple of days so it's great to come back to some ACTUAL news.

So firstly (and largely) the positive:

As far as I'm concerned this list is 100% legit, it's presented alongside the rumoured 40K stuff and it makes perfect sense in terms of releasing the characters shown in the trailers.

It looks like a good long list too (although I'm slightly surprised to not see some Dol Guldur orcs) and the suspected lack of a starter set is confirmed.

Prices seem in line with current stuff which is nice, I'd place money on the fact that Beorn is only human form as he's the same price as Leggy and Tauriel. It's interesting to note that, like all the Hobbit releases before them, the elf troop types have different names (Hunter orcs, Fell Wargs), presumably for contractual reasons. I'd guess Palace Guard are the armoured elves we see in the trailer whilst Mirkwood Rangers are more like the lightly armoured Wood Elves we already have. The biggest disappointment for me, like many, is that the spiders are Finecast, can't imagine the horror of cleaning up mould lines on 8 spindly legs...They look pretty big in the trailers so realistically I'd guess we'd get 2 per box? Maybe 3 at a push. Great to see a Thrain the Broken model too, that was an unexpected bonus, should be a very cool mini.

The book being cheap is unsurprising, it's just going to be a list of profiles and scenarios. I would guess that the AUJ profiles will be included (at least some of them) as the FAQ hints at 'an upcoming publication' for Yazneg's profile and I'd imagine they'd want to place the Men of Dale stats in print somewhere. It's price is $5 more than the LOTR sourcebooks so likely to be £20 in the UK. That puts it at around the 70 page softcover mark I reckon which should comfortably be enough to hold all the new profiles and a bunch of DOS scenarios.

The Barrels out of Bond box intrigues me the most, as it's surely got to be the dwarves in barrels (can't imagine the finecast company from the rulebook being labelled as BOOB) but seems incredibly cheap for 14 Finecast models, perhaps it's because they're all half submerged so you're getting only the torsos and a barrel rim? I've got to admit I hadn't even thought about a kit like that and would be sorely tempted to pick them up, even if just for a diorama.

I reckon come release day I'll be picking up Tauriel, Thranduil, some spiders, the book and one of the boxes of elves, thoroughly happy with this amount as a first wave, IF that's what it is, which leads me to...

The potentially negative

Make no mistake about it, every model on this list was meant to be in the first film before two films became three. It is perfectly possible that the models we are seeing here have all been sitting in a warehouse for a year with GW having done no extra work whatsoever on the range. This is supported by the surprising amount of Finecast releases, after the last few months where GW have clearly been winding down Finecast in favour of plastic. Similarly, the book could simply be the profiles and scenarios that were removed from the end of the first film reprinted as a separate publication. From a more positive perspective this is also largely the models that feature in the trailer so the sort of models they would be likely to release first anyway. However, there's no getting around the fact that, based purely on movie marketing, Bard is conspicuous by his absence and Beorn is conspicuous by his presence. In addition, Lego have released mini-figs for the Master of Laetown, men of Laketown and the Necromancer so clearly WB have allowed them to be depicted in some forms.

I truly hope this isn't the case but there is no evidence yet that GW has done any more work on the Hobbit than it had done by around August 2012. There's still the outside possibility that GW aren't planning on releasing any more Hobbit figures after this wave (don't all jump on me at once, I'm not saying that's what will happen, just what could happen given the current evidence). Ultimately we'll all know for sure in 2 weeks time. When we pick up that DOS book and flick through it, if there aren't profiles for Smaug, men of Laketown, Bard, The Master, The Necromancer etc. then I doubt we'll ever get them.

This is perhaps best illustrated by the White Dwarf coverage, the December cover is rumoured to be a Baneblade and the teaser video posted today was for the 40K expansion coming out this month (last year the teaser video was for Goblin Town and the cover was Hobbit minis). This was the only year of the month we could expect decent WD coverage and it doesn't encourage the idea that GW are planning on a solid 6 month's worth of SBG support/releases like last year.

Sorry to end on a downer, I'm genuinely excited by the release list and I imagine I'll be getting most if not all of the figures but until I hold that book in 2 weeks time and see all the other profiles from the film the pessimistic part of me will still worry...

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:21 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They bought the license for the whole trilogy, I doubt they would waste that money by not releasing anything else. They're just saving the rest of the movie for the rest of the year, just like they did this year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr Grant wrote:
snip!

One possibility is that, as you say, these have been sitting around for some time, and GW is therefore just keen to get them the hell out of their warehouse. After all, it's a decent bundle of stuff - there can't be a massive amount left now. Five Armies isn't till next year, so we have... Bard, Laketown Guard, The Master, Alfrid, The Necromancer, maybe some Dol Guldur Orcs in plastic (but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't gett hem till TABA), a Bear and possibly a Dragon. Possibly some costume changes, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Frankly, if there was anything more here this month, they'd have very little to release later on, so I'm not seeing much cause to be doubtful here. At least not yet. After all, we could have two months for laketown characters and kits, two months for dol guldor stuff to trickle out one or two things at a time, and that leaves two months for some remnants and possibly a Dragon. So it about fits the schedule, more or less.

If they DO screw us, then i'll be slightly miffed, to put it mildly. But at least mirkwood will be out, so barring characters we can probably proxy the rest of the movies. Mirkwood was really the essential element in these films, at least from a wargaming perspective, I feel.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh my god just give me a Stephen Fry model please

VG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Remember that this list though plausible is still unproven! It may well be a form of customer manipulation to mould our expectations!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All of Natfka's lists like this have proven to be accurate, so I'm putting full faith in this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 51  Next