All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm definitely picking up those elves day one.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
Barrels ot of bond is different colour than the other hobbit stuff...I think it's 40k oder Fantasy!

Barrels Out of Bond is the ninth chapter of J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit:
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Barrels_Out_Of_Bond

(I'm reading this at this moment ;-))

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think we'll see model leaks any day now...

I mostly just want to see the Dol Guldur orcs (to use in my Mordor) or the palace guard (to use as allies for my Erebor). Smaug can wait til I actually have some dosh!

VG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just a thought. What if Barrels out of Bond was only about 4 actual pieces. Each "Model" consisting of 3 or 4 barrels cast together. Like a kind of showpiece.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I presume it's made specifically for a story scenario, possibly of the same name.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Creaky wrote:
Mirkwood was really the essential element in these films, at least from a wargaming perspective, I feel.

I completely agree, I was desperate for a Tauriel and new Thranduil mini and some new spiders to match the film. We're going to get those at the very least. Obviously Smaug, the Necromancer, Orcs, men of laketown etc. will all be great to see but I think they're slightly easier to proxy and for my modelling/army building/painting needs are less important.

Incidentally I'm still really hoping they go with this promo shot for the Tauriel sculpt, it would make an incredible mini!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... auriel.jpg

Bilbo wrote:
Remember that this list though plausible is still unproven! It may well be a form of customer manipulation to mould our expectations!

Whilst that's possible I'm 99% sure this is legit. It appeared at the right time (Monday for when independents place their orders), matches last year's timescale completely (have a look at the first post, we got the release/price list on Monday last year too) and contains an entirely predictable range of figures (those that have been seen in trailers and those which should have been produced last year).

VictoryGin wrote:
I think we'll see model leaks any day now...

Yep, no doubt, traditionally Hobbit leaks tend to appear a day or two after the 40K ones as there's less interest but last year we finally got leaked WD pics on the Wednesday before release so hopefully we'll see something by tomorrow night.

Gene Parmesan wrote:
Just a thought. What if Barrels out of Bond was only about 4 actual pieces. Each "Model" consisting of 3 or 4 barrels cast together. Like a kind of showpiece.

That's a really nice idea, not sure how likely it is as they'd then only be useful as a diorama project but it's certainly possible. I still reckon they're releasing them for use in one of the new scenarios so it will be 13 dwarves in barrels, the price doesn't really fit that idea though and I'm not sure how popular a £40 set that can only be used in one scenario would be. Hmmmm, we'll see, it's nice to have a mystery set to discuss!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dr Grant wrote:
Creaky wrote:

I'm not sure how popular a £40 set that can only be used in one scenario would be.

*Cough*BillTom&Bert*cough* :D.

Actually…. i think that proves rather than contradicts your point!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Kevin from Mitril wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:
Very interesting find regardless, how did you come by it?

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/de ... ealed.html

From what I've seen on Dakka Dakka, Natfka is considered to be highly unreliable. Best take everything from his blog with a bucket of salt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
They bought the license for the whole trilogy, I doubt they would waste that money by not releasing anything else. They're just saving the rest of the movie for the rest of the year, just like they did this year.

Well, its more likely they bought the rights for two films, constructed a business plan around two films and then renegotiated it when the third film comes out.

Honestly, I suspect the change from two to three films probably mucked things up for GW a bit, and the ongoing (anecdotal) lack of a mass sales bump for Hobbit figures means GW has little interest in changing things.

I predicted years ago that there would not be a huge host of new miniatures for the Hobbit line. They actually managed to squeeze out new figures I didn't really predict (men of Dale AND assumably men of Laketown, later, not to mention various flavours of Dwarves).

The narrative of the middle section of the Hobbit book goes something like: Dwarves head to Beorn, Gandalf leaves, Mirkwood, spiders, Elves, escape, laketown and off to the mountain. In miniature (merchandising) terms, that's...Beorn, Beorn in bear form, giant spiders, elves, Laketown characters. Let's assume some flashbacks in there too, so, something else. They may or may not release figures for the Dol Guldor bit. But I suspect we've just seen about 60% of the Desolation miniatures range, right there.

This is likely going to be a slow year. There may be a bump in 2015. Not sure if we could count on it. They may just go for a low rate of production business model to ensure costs are covered. This probably means price rises.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Who knows? I'm barely sure what my point is myself! :-)

Don't forget that as much as the trolls seem expensive they're actually comparatively good value:

Isengard Troll - £25
3 Mountain Trolls - £50

It's not to say they're 'worth' it but compared to what was out at the time they were reasonably priced.

Also, maybe I wasn't clear when I said 'scenario' - Whilst the trolls might only appear in one narrative scenario they can be chosen for normal points match games and are in fact pretty popular from what I've seen; they can be taken in any points match game alongside any evil army you might choose. Lots of options for army building and getting use out of your minis.

The dwarves in barrels could literally ONLY be used in a river chase scenario, you're hardly going to use them instead of the models on foot in your normal points match games.

And whilst Natfka is deeply unreliable (the site basically just aggregates rumours from the rest of the web), this has come from elsewhere and just been reposted by him. The timing's right and everything that the smart money says has been rumoured to come out for all 3 systems is on the list, I'm sure it's legit.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:

Gene Parmesan wrote:

That's a really nice idea, not sure how likely it is as they'd then only be useful as a diorama project but it's certainly possible. I still reckon they're releasing them for use in one of the new scenarios so it will be 13 dwarves in barrels, the price doesn't really fit that idea though and I'm not sure how popular a £40 set that can only be used in one scenario would be. Hmmmm, we'll see, it's nice to have a mystery set to discuss!

Just a shot in the dark. Seeing as how I'm on a roll predicting things - I challenge anyone to find someone who said "no starter set" before I did :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Not sure if you were the first, but I know I agreed with someone about 10 months ago about there being no starter set lol. Natfka is usually accurate when it comes to general releases about 2 months out, and he usually posts reliably about new stuff the week or 2 before release.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mertaal wrote:
Dr Grant wrote:
Creaky wrote:

I'm not sure how popular a £40 set that can only be used in one scenario would be.

*Cough*BillTom&Bert*cough* :D.

Actually…. i think that proves rather than contradicts your point!

Nonsense, I am with Dr Grant here, Dwarves in barrels are only going to be usable in a scenario involving a journey down a fast flowing river, whereas the three trolls can be included in only one "Historical" scenario, they will fit in as well as any other models released into the six regular points match battles "To the Death" etc, as well as any points match battle along the suggested guidelines set out in "creating your own scenarios" in the Hobbit hard back book.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just a shot in the dark. Seeing as how I'm on a roll predicting things - I challenge anyone to find someone who said "no starter set" before I did :P[/quote]

Wow there! This list may well be correct, but it has not been confirmed yet by G.W. and I personally think that there will be a starter set, after all they have had more time to release less miniatures, and a year to produce very little! Don't count your chickens till the fat lady sings! And that's first thing on Saturday A.M!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bilbo wrote:

Wow there! This list may well be correct, but it has not been confirmed yet by G.W. and I personally think that there will be a starter set, after all they have had more time to release less miniatures, and a year to produce very little! Don't count your chickens till the fat lady sings! And that's first thing on Saturday A.M!

Considering the limited edition EFGT sets are still available, I really doubt any new starter sets will be forthcoming, sadly.

I suppose the real pity with the Hobbit in the long run is that GW isn't in all likelihood going to go back and expand on it when it's done. What's in the films is likely to be it (and even then it's far less expansive in scope than LotR) whereas GW went and did citadel guard, Dol Amroth, and other stuff for LotR, there isn't the financial impetus to do that here. Which is a shame, because i should have liked to see 'official' representations of the rest of Dale's army, for instance. Elites, scouts, cavalry... Not going to happen, i think. I'm surprised we got what we did. I suppose the flip side to this is that so long as the community endures, so to does the game. Conversions, fan supplements and the like can keep the game expanding for a good long while.

Hopefully pics any day now. Got the Easterlings ordered (God bless credit cards) so I'll be all set for a Mirkwood christmas. :D
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Considering the limited edition EFGT sets are still available, I really doubt any new starter sets will be forthcoming, sadly.

A good point creaky, but I suspect they have a contractual agreement to re-brand (no character pun intended!) and literally must release a boxed set with rules in support of the DoS cinema release.

I also would be massively surprised if we didn't see plastic spiders and Mirkwood Elves!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would never pretend to assume anything about what is in a contract for right to use. Many a film has been release with no models at all and I bet someone still had 'rights' for those IP's (batman only got models after the film and game releases were popular). I don't think GW has any obligation to produce anything that will not make money, nor to produce anything at all if they don't want to. Action figure companies drop out of IP's all the time without ever releasing what they already prototyped and advertised (some of those become highly sought).
I don't think we will see another starter set, there is no need for one. A scenario piece is normal (like the trolls fire, Like gimli on a dead troll). I think this list is legit. As a Action figure collector for a lifetime now, I know that often the 'spoiler' stuff is released with DVD's or after the theater sales drop off. As for a wargame release, they are releasing a full useable army in one go (like Goblin Town, and how WHF and 40K are done). Looks like a great start for them and Elves are popular with SBG players so this army will do better sales than most.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I bet the majority of the AUJ miniatures will get the 4 week notice label once the DoS miniatures roll out. :rofl:

It's a joke of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the above situation occurred based on GW's current treatment of their LOTR range.

(Quick! Pick up the White Council box set while it lasts!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lets not forget like some of the predicted AUJ minis may have been pushed back for the DOS, some DOS minis may also have been pushed back until TABA. So yes I think the majority of minis will be released end of or beginning of TABA.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Early WD pics posted over on Dakka. :D

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 65131.page

Wood elf rangers look amazing, palace guard not nearly as good as I hoped (but 6 spears in a box!) I'll skip the generic captains, but plastic Tauriel and Legolas look good enough to get, and Thranduil is simply stunning.
Barrels out of bond is indeed a full set of dwarves in barrels, and looks very well sculpted.
Beorn is ok, not a load of detail, Thrain the broken looks really good, totally insane. Spiders still look flat, not like they appear in the movies, though they have grown to a larger base size.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 51  Next