All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Decorative pattern is that of the Osgiliath Ruins I think...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Decorative pattern is that of the Osgiliath Ruins I think...

You are right I see the top one inch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Actually I think we may have had a glimpse of crazy thrain in the AUJ trailer, those scenes with Gandalf fighting, the enemy doesn't look like at orc and has a crazy beard
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Actually I think I know how I'm going to set out my Mirkwood army. I will have 3 boxes of mirkwood rangers
Legolas will lead the male elves and tauriel will lead the female elves. The third box will add to make the warbands complete and substitute models poses I don't like (two daggers feel out of place to me and so are the waltzing elves) the captain's I will buy for smaller point games. Thranduil will lead 12 guard and I may get a second unit led by a captain. But thranduils position depend on how much defence he has. I also well have to adjust this depending on the army lists bow rule.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Imladris96 wrote:
Actually I think I know how I'm going to set out my Mirkwood army. I will have 3 boxes of mirkwood rangers
Legolas will lead the male elves and tauriel will lead the female elves. The third box will add to make the warbands complete and substitute models poses I don't like (two daggers feel out of place to me and so are the waltzing elves) the captain's I will buy for smaller point games. Thranduil will lead 12 guard and I may get a second unit led by a captain. But thranduils position depend on how much defence he has. I also well have to adjust this depending on the army lists bow rule.

We're thinking along similar lines. 24 Elf Rangers made from 3 box sets, led by Leggy and Tauriel, and a combination of the Guard Captains and Guard set (counting all as standard Palace Guards, no heroes) led by Thranduil. I could even convert some leftover ranger poses into Banners and Horns (if they have the option) and buy the ranger captains to lead them, if i need more points. Throw in Beorn and Radagast if I fancy some more Heroes.

Sounds fun. I'm hoping for a very relaxed (or non existent) bow limit. That feels right for Mirkwood, really, so fingers crossed. I'd like to keep Palace Guard to a minimum, as they look a bit elite to form the rank and file.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If the LOTR era Mirkwood elves have a 1/3rd bow limit why would Hobbit era Mirkwood elves have a different bow limit? They are the same elves and given how long they live the passage of time from Hobbit to LOTR is nothing to them.

Of cause I'm thinking logically which GW won't do so it is sure to be different...

Perhaps Smaug burns most of their bows leaving them to a 1 in 3 limit after the hobbit?

Either way I'm getting those rangers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Even though you are right rumtap, I love when armies have a lot more variety like that. Woodland Creature is kind of a lame ability for elves anyways, so I feel letting them take more bows is nice.

And Imladris, that is a really good idea. It might be cool to convert Sentinels or Stormcallers out of the extra 6 elves as well.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

rumtap wrote:
If the LOTR era Mirkwood elves have a 1/3rd bow limit why would Hobbit era Mirkwood elves have a different bow limit? They are the same elves and given how long they live the passage of time from Hobbit to LOTR is nothing to them.

Of cause I'm thinking logically which GW won't do so it is sure to be different...

Perhaps Smaug burns most of their bows leaving them to a 1 in 3 limit after the hobbit?

Either way I'm getting those rangers!

Rivendell was 1/3 bow limit but then they just created an entirely new list for them. I expect the same for the Mirkwood army list. Maybe we'll see another 100% bow limit rule put in considering all the minis are armed with bows. Even though the hunter orcs only had 1/3 of the box as bow armed the option to include bows in their war gear through the extra pieces was to allow their 1/2 bow rule and be represented in game.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Instead of the increased bow limit, I would much more prefer if they had a rule that would let them ignore the -1 penalty for having moved.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Imladris96 wrote:
Actually I think we may have had a glimpse of crazy thrain in the AUJ trailer, those scenes with Gandalf fighting, the enemy doesn't look like at orc and has a crazy beard

We did see him in the trailer, you're correct.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

THESE SCULPTS ARE RIDICULOUS WHAT THE HELL! Amazing.

Terrible money-grabbing with 10 models a box though. Ridiculous, how can you justify that?

I can't find any Barrels out of Bond pics though!

VG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Games Workshop need to make up for the loss of interest in the Hobbit. The less people interested in buying the nice new models , the more they have to bump the price up to cover the cost of the license. ( They make way more profit in finecast than they do in plastic ) This price rise is not too significant really considering this a very small "Niche Market".
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

RefluentMonk wrote:
Games Workshop need to make up for the loss of interest in the Hobbit. The less people interested in buying the nice new models , the more they have to bump the price up to cover the cost of the license. ( They make way more profit in finecast than they do in plastic ) This price rise is not too significant really considering this a very small "Niche Market".

Please don't let this get into a bash games workshop - we should have a post for that as I feel we need a forum to vent our frustration, but also don't justify GWS price rises - you could easily argue lower the prices more people would buy - i know that if the sets were 1/2 the price I would have bought loads of hobbit figures... I haven't for that very reason!
Let's stay on track people!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The spiders looks so bad. I mean, the sculpt quality is there but they're boring as buggery.

Legolas seems a bit off. Not quite as slender as you might hope for.

Thranduil........he will be mine.

Also It looks like GW is going to force us to buy a box set AND a set of two elves in order to make one warband. For real? They make the new warband rules then make it twice as expensive to actually play them.

Ebay/Christmas/Birthday is my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

samoht wrote:
Also It looks like GW is going to force us to buy a box set AND a set of two elves in order to make one warband. For real? They make the new warband rules then make it twice as expensive to actually play them.

Yes, because clearly you're forced to take 12 models in your warband.

The amount of negativity over these cool new releases astounds me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Leonardis wrote:
RefluentMonk wrote:

Please don't let this get into a bash games workshop - we should have a post for that as I feel we need a forum to vent our frustration, but also don't justify GWS price rises - you could easily argue lower the prices more people would buy - i know that if the sets were 1/2 the price I would have bought loads of hobbit figures... I haven't for that very reason!

Not at all bashing or praising Games Workshop , just highlighting my opinion on the matter and the reasons behind that opinion in question. If the set's were 1/2 the price of what they cost now , then i believe the Hobbit range would need to be at the level of interest at the peak of the LOTR Range ( to make the extra demand warrant a cheaper cost due to increased sales and better cost/risk ratio ). This i would guess to be just after the The Two Tower's film came out . They could also possibly need a significantly cheaper deal on license , sadly this is unlikely to happen. I would appreciate it if you did not assume my impartial analysis of the prices to be "bashing" or "praising".

Thanks.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I didn't mean to quote you in particular, just saying my opinion and frustration, in particular the fact I haven't bought any is due to the price being high, if it were less I'd buy them and improve the number of people collecting the hobbit! - thanks

Last edited by Leonardis on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

RefluentMonk wrote:

Honestly, price rises have been going on for so long that I'm used to it. Do i like it? No, but it's what businesses do, and it is what it is. If I like the product enough I'll invest.

The 10 to a box thing is just dirty sales tactics though, and I don't think anyone should try to justify it.

crixalis wrote:
Yes, because clearly you're forced to take 12 models in your warband.

The amount of negativity over these cool new releases astounds me.
[/quote]

The natural maximum war band size is 12, as dictated by the rules. Therefore, the "kind" way to treat your customers is to sell the models in boxes of 6 or 12. I'd like enough models in my collection that if I want to field a war band of 12 I can.

Sometimes you just have those extra points and nowhere to spend them, so a few extra models are where they go. There really is nothing wrong with wanting to do that without having to spend £50 instead of £25.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The sculpts are ok, not mind blowing. Thranduil has a interesting paint job but the model looks like the porcelain Elf king we see in the film so that is good. I doubt we will see any orcs this year, BOFA is a better place for that and it makes business sense to hold on until then (just like elves are a great release for this year instead of staggered between films).

As for the price issue, it is underhanded and gimmicky way of ensuring a specific sales goal. I think it is needed for SBG to survive in GW. I would jump right on the boycott train is anyone could promise, PROMISE, that another company would make all the armies, make them in just as good quality, and have a better price... Nobody can. In fact, it is highly unlikely that a company would release any of the stuff already flooding the market so you would still have to buy the GW stuff which would go up as now OOP and rare. So, we have to suck it up those that want to keep buying and those that cannot save up for what they want due to other pressing bills, GW will not be the last that you pass on, it is part of life to not be able to afford everything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GW seem to blatantly be trying to squeeze every possible penny out of us.

They are the modelling equivalent of EA Games!

Imagine how much more dosh they'd make selling boxes of 6/12/24? Boxes of 6 would also allow people to pick up models they like just to paint or for the sculpts rather than buying an entire warband (or 5/6ths of a warband as it looks now...)

On a more related note, I will definitely picking up some of those cursed, overpriced but GORGEOUS elves. I don't even play elves.

VG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 51  Next