All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sithious wrote:
I would jump right on the boycott train is anyone could promise, PROMISE, that another company would make all the armies, make them in just as good quality, and have a better price... Nobody can.

Indeed, and call me a luuuzer, but I sort of feel an obligation to support the hobby by purchasing… something. Those were the grounds under which I bought, this time last year, the EfGT set and the big rules book. I also bought a box of hunter orcs and hunter orcs on wild wargs, although they remain on their sprues for the moment.

With that in mind I will definitely buy Tauriel, in the hope that sales will encourage GW to move over entirely to plastic character models, and abandon finecast once and for all.

As i said earlier- price hike? Fine. I can live with it. I'll spend less money in truth, but I'll buy something. However, I refuse to reward them for "kick in the teeth" tactics by buying two boxes where by all reasonable terms, one should suffice. And I'll consider it an unwritten rule that proxying another two models to max out the squad is not just allowed, but encouraged.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Games Workshop need to make up for the loss of interest in the Hobbit. The less people interested in buying the nice new models , the more they have to bump the price up to cover the cost of the license. ( They make way more profit in finecast than they do in plastic ) This price rise is not too significant really considering this a very small "Niche Market".

No they don't. 40k seems to be doing fine and prices still rise for them, in fact it is far more expensive model for model than the Hobbit.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

On the 10/12 models a box issue: look at the armylists. Warbands are nearly always filled as far as points allow - armies generally either have to be all-hero or bring as many figures as possible (within certain limits). 3 full warbands or 5 heroes, each leading 5 warriors... Reminds me of people defending them when figures in a box were halved (and prices not so much): oh, but that's good, now you can just buy 12 figures and have fewer models spare! Really? Nobody minds having models spare, it only ensures you are generally models short, until you've spend twice as much as before.

On the price rise issue: broaden your horizon, and you'll quickly find that popularity has nothing to do with it. Warhammer plastic elites and characters have been steadily increasing with nearly each subsequent release. They keep increasing them, because the decrease in sales is apparantly (more than) ofset by the increase in profits per item.

Looking at these figures, I see definitely nice models, but also ones that are 4 times as expensive as the mid-early LotR releases. 11 times the price of the first Battle Games magazine. I can get 44 very fine plastic Vikings for the price of just Tauriel. I know what I will choose.
As I've said before on various occasions: don't feel forced to not-buy figures because of some strange boycot, but also please don't feel obliged to pay ridicilous prices to 'support the range'. It is very unlikely that it matters in any way. Buy what you like and are willing to pay those prices for, leave the rest. It's that simple...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I recognize the price and model counts are frustrating for some, but discussion of this and other opinions about GW business practices is just fuel for a fire this site has decided to ban. So please keep the discussion on topic and refrain from mentioning the issues above.

Thank you for your cooperation…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFH4wCLVXY
:twisted:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If those Spiders are only £20 for two, I think I'll be getting quite a few of them, if they're more, I'll not get as many. I still like them anyway. I like Thranduil and the Elf Guards too.

A local GW worker and I compared the mount of releases to the December AUJ releases and there's actually a pretty similar number, not less. Though the lack of figures that were not originally set to appear in Film 1 of 2 is troubling. He does think that Leggy and Tauriel are married though for some reason.

Why does Tauriel's face look like (Gemma Whelan's) YarAsha Greyjoy's from Game of Thrones?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:

A leaked WD photo
If I am not mistaken this is also a new ruin kit. I compared it to GW terrain kits I already have. It is new to me. Is it new?

I am afraid that its a chopped up Ruins of Osgiliath set!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Apparently this is what the desolation of smaug contains,
Quote:
Desolation of Smaug:
64 pages. 5 scenarios of the second movie including spiderweb escape and barrel escape and three part scenario of big battle. Includes rules for all new units, painting guide and lots of photos.

That 3 part battle is what I would assume to be the battle of dol guldur but then what about lake town? I guess we'll have to see when the book comes out. A week after my birthday :-X
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog wrote:
I recognize the price and model counts are frustrating for some, but discussion of this and other opinions about GW business practices is just fuel for a fire this site has decided to ban. So please keep the discussion on topic and refrain from mentioning the issues above.

Thank you for your cooperation…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFH4wCLVXY
:twisted:

Do you think it would be possible to have a post that allows people to vent their frustration - it will avoid the need to vent on other posts, and will also allow a forum to feedback to games workshop some of the issues or how people feel.
I know the site is trying to avoid GWS bashing, but surely it needs to be balanced and the above would allow for this.

Anyway - for your consideration (from an equally frustrated customer who has £1000's worth of LotR and only EfGT from the hobbit).

Many thanks

Leo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

black1blade wrote:
Quote:
Desolation of Smaug:
64 pages. 5 scenarios of the second movie including spiderweb escape and barrel escape and three part scenario of big battle. Includes rules for all new units, painting guide and lots of photos.

That 3 part battle is what I would assume to be the battle of dol guldur but then what about lake town? I guess we'll have to see when the book comes out. A week after my birthday :-X

Hmmm....

1) Gandalf VS Thrain, as a simple 'hero on hero' encounter
2) Company VS Spiders
3) Barrels out of Bond
4) Legolas and Tauriel in Laketown
5) Company VS Smaug

Three Part Dol Guldur? Gandalf alone, White Council outside the walls (elves and wizards and orcs, oh my), Full on siege? Pj mentions during the EE for AuJ that Dol Guldor is the end of DoS and the start of TABA, and has said elsewhere that it is like helms deep, but with the good guys outside and the bad guys inside.

Still, a bit worryingly short on scenarios for the movie. But then again, TABA will have to try to get as much as possible out of Five Armies and the end of the Siege of Dol Guldur, so perhaps that one will be equally squeezed out. Hobbit is nothing like as full of war and opportunities as LotR, after all. Or maybe PJ just isn't spoiling the good stuff from Dol Guldur, and it's more massive than we have possibly believed.

Certainly hoping that the book IS complete. If it WERE just up to the barrels, then could we see a breakdown like: Gandalf vs Thrain, Company vs Spiders, Elf Rangers vs Spiders, Elves vs Azog, Barrels out of Bond. Not sure how the three part battle would fit into that, though - so i have hope. :)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good point Leo.

The bashing/pricing debate destroys topics but the fact that so many members cannot resist the urge to post about it surely says something about the importance of the matter. It would be better to give the discussion some space rather than just hope the issue doesn't pop up any more.

In a GW debate topic the bashing will at least be contained and the urge to spam other topics will be reduced :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Huh I'm a bit afraid to get spoilers from the movie, looks like I'll buy the DoS-book after I've watched the movie, or buy it and resist/hide it away (which will certainly fail).

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I Smell Mutiny! from Leonardis and Bartelomeus :O Dag will have your head on a spike for this he he , just as soon as his lieutenants carry out his order's :D

" Thou shall not discuss anything related to Games Workshop prices , model counts , business area " It is blasphemy to speak of such matter's :O

Funny moment i had to highlight , as im sure the mod's have a sense of humour... do they ... uh oh

Off with my head then :(

Last edited by RefluentMonk on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

black1blade wrote:
Quote:
Desolation of Smaug:

/quote]

Thanks for the info, any news on whether the book contains profiles for models that haven't been released yet or scenarios past the Barrel escape sequence?

Incidentally I've just seen these are the rumoured UK prices:

Captains - packs of 2 £15.
Thranduil/Thrain - £12/each
Leg/Tau/Beorn - £15/each
Plastic boxes - £25 each/boxes of 10
Barrel of laughs - £40
Spiders - packs of 2 £22
Book- £20

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bartelomeus wrote:
In a GW debate topic the bashing will at least be contained and the urge to spam other topics will be reduced :)

Well, I'm not sure a "GW bashing" thread is a productive idea necessarily. Perhaps if it were more along the lines of "discussion of GW business practice" it would encourage less out and out bashing, and more of a reasoned discussion of the issues.

I respect the right of people to vent, but am also interested to hear the other side.
I also think it's reasonable for people who are negative about GW to have their ideas challenged by people who are less critical of the company, for whatever reason.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you are upset about Games Workshop's current business practices then write them a letter. This isn't the place to vent as it just breeds negativity and brings down the happy vibe that should be associated with any new release. Is this hobby becoming more expensive? Yes. Do GW continue to give us less value for money by reducing the number of minis in a box? Yes. Do they hike up their prices at any opportunity? Yes. Is finecast rubbish? Yes. It sucks but that is unfortunately what we have. Buy the minis or don't buy them. It isn't compulsory. You do actually have a choice. There are lots of people here who are fed up seeing the same old criticism of GW over and over again every time there is a new release.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Which is exactly why it would be good to have post to stop it coming on these posts, although this is now turning into a GWS discussion, when it should be about the release.

I will leave it there as I don't want moaning on this post which is why I posted in the first place (sorry if anyone feels aggrieved!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was really looking forward to the Palace guard, but they just seem... I don't know, the phrase that springs to mind is "un middle earth" which tbh comes entirely from those helmets? What on earth is happening with them? One of the nice things about the elf range was all the armour could be seen to be related, but those helmets seem to have more in keeping with uruk hai, and those collors? Galifrey falls no more sure, but time lord fashion should not be emulated. May pick up the captains, shame they are finecast though.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Leonardis wrote:
Which is exactly why it would be good to have post to stop it coming on these posts,...

Nope, we already tried that. All it does is breed negativity and turn into a flame war, and it doesn't, in fact, stay confined. Worse, it puts people at odds with each other who would otherwise be happy to enjoy the hobby together. I refer you to this, top post on the home page:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26265

Any further discussion of this will result in deleted posts, regardless of the rest of the content.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I surrender myself to the ruling powers on this forum. :flower:
It's too enjoyable here to wage a war in the name of freedom of speech. :-D

Back on topic: I actually don't think the Palace Guards look much better than the Galadhrim, the Galadhrim Commanders look way better than their new counterparts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Leonardis wrote:
Which is exactly why it would be good to have post to stop it coming on these posts

We did have a moaning thread, but after a brief discussion by the management team it was eventually removed because One-ring prides itself on promoting the positive and fulfilling aspect of the hobby rather than focusing on the negatives. There are other places to do that on the internet. Negativity just turns newcomers away, and nobody wants that. Feel free to contact the management if you disagree with that decision. 8)

Now, back to the releases, the palace guard have grown on me since I saw a picture of them from the movie. I believe Fountain court guard also had face coverings so that's nothing new concept wise

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 51  Next