All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bartelomeus wrote:
It's too enjoyable here to wage a war in the name of freedom of speech. :-D

Well, on that note…I believe you meant it in jest, but it's a common misconception in this ungrateful internet age.

So just so that there is no misunderstanding: there is no freedom of speech. You're a guest on private property.

Everyone is, of course, free to create their own website, come up with an awesome design, pay for all the hosting fees, and do all the maintenance and moderating themselves. That's as free a speech as anyone could ask for, it just takes work.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I actually liked the palace guard, more for the suggestion of "rich wood" than the style. But I might hold off on those until next year, I want to see how they'll fit into the BoFA force.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I really like the Guard as well. They look very wood-elf heavy troopish. I think they'll be D6 w shields

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dr Grant wrote:
Captains - packs of 2 £15.
Thranduil/Thrain - £12/each
Leg/Tau/Beorn - £15/each
Plastic boxes - £25 each/boxes of 10
Barrel of laughs - £40
Spiders - packs of 2 £22
Book- £20

That looks about what I’d worked out translating the US prices (not by conversion, by comparing prices).

I’m still not quite sure what to get, I’ve got my birthday and Christmas approaching. I was going to spend all my budget on pre-ordering.

I think at the moment I might get the book, Tauriel and Yazneg (I know he isn’t new but should have proper rules in the book) for my birthday before reading the book to see what I’d like to spend my Christmas budget on.

I really like the Mirkwood Rangers but I don’t like the Palace Guard, so it depends if I can use the Mirkwood Rangers without needing Palace Guard whether I get them.

I hope we see the whole film in scenarios and not just the ones cut from the first book before the film changes. If there are only 5 then that may be the case as I think I remember being told the Hobbit rulebook originally had either 12 or 13 scenarios before the films switched from 2 to 3.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Farmer Maggot wrote:
I think I remember being told the Hobbit rulebook originally had either 12 or 13 scenarios before the films switched from 2 to 3.

That's exactly what I'm worried about....

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm really looking forward to the new plastic Legolas and Tauriel, having assembled a few of the Warhammer individual plastic kits they are really good, crisp detail and nice assembly with hidden joins. The detail on them was also incredible for plastic.

Personally I am really pleased with the new releases, GW are in an position that they really can only release limited models until the film is out, but remember White Dwarf January comes out early if I cast my mind back, just before Christmas and after the film release. So, here's hoping for some more great releases.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The captains are a decent price for the pair, I think. Two for the price of one of the characters makes them fairly tempting buys, actually.

I'm most keen to get some info on the book. I wonder if we can expect someone to get hold of it prior to it's official release (this happened last year, I think). We might get pictures of new models, which would be exciting. Very excited for anything Dol Guldur related - especially The Necromancer.

Interested to see exactly how the battle might play out, too, if it is the three part scenario. Considering that it would be, presumably, mostly Lothlorien/Rivendell elves responding to the white council (and considering also that it's referred to as a Siege, and as having similarities to Helms Deep), and we have the Galadhrim already... I wonder if foot Rivendell Elves might become a possibility in this film, or the next. Dol Guldur isn't going to besiege itself, now.

Dr Grant & Farmer Maggot: I'm forcing myself to not worry about that possibility. I'd be devastated if it were so. I shall continue to labour under the assumption that it's simply that DOS is light on action, as the most action in film 2 during the 2 movie period would presumably have been in the second half (what is now movie 3). Therefore we get the climax of the original movie 1, and perhaps some expanded content elsewhere. Fingers crossed, and I'll try not to cry. :sad:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I hope they also include bard in the new book (I guess he'll get a model in wave 2) and the stats and more lore for the warriors of dale/lake-city (now we know they are the same, it's released in the trailer).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, not really stunning release. I am especially disappointed by the number of finecast releases. I doubt I will buy any of them. As several people mentioned, the Palace Guard seem to be kind of odd and un-Middle-Earth-ish. Beorn reminds me Wolwerine, but there are plenty of other barbarian looking miniatures around the internet fortunately.

On the other hand, Mirkwood Rangers seem much more promising - definitely a better option than the ugly plastic wood elves we have now. I hope they will fit to much less dramatic poses of the sentinels and current commanders. Pity the barrel riders are so expensive, as the sculpting looks top-notch :o

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Paboook wrote:
Well, not really stunning release. I am especially disappointed by the number of finecast releases. I doubt I will buy any of them. As several people mentioned, the Palace Guard seem to be kind of odd and un-Middle-Earth-ish. Beorn reminds me Wolwerine, but there are plenty of other barbarian looking miniatures around the internet fortunately.

On the other hand, Mirkwood Rangers seem much more promising - definitely a better option than the ugly plastic wood elves we have now. I hope they will fit to much less dramatic poses of the sentinels and current commanders. Pity the barrel riders are so expensive, as the sculpting looks top-notch :o

I just think that's funny I think the exact opposite. I think the rangers look entirely too Warhammer fantasy overly angular faces, too skinny. They just don't fit in with the others from the original movie elves.
I think the Palace Guard look more dwarfish or like the Fountain Guard of Gondor to me but decidedly more LOTR

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If I get any of those rangers, I'll have to use green stuff top make them nice and plump, and also make sure they're not too different in scale from the old wood elves.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I Like the new releases but the range does lack the wow factor of a boxed set. I was hoping for a some groovy scenery trees, an army of spiders and wood elves.

I am also hoping that the rules for Yazneg which I have assumed to be printed in the new book give him a special ability? I painted him months ago and have yet to use him on the table top, which I frankly can't wait to do.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am thankful that we have not had another fine cats version of Gandalf and Bilbo with sting (the barrel rider is acceptable).
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Will be interesting to see AFTER the film , what people's reactions are to the Mirkwood Ranger's after they have watched all the acrobatic prancing and flying about ( elves are very light , fleet footed ) so they defy gravity a bit more. Still would be funny to see a dwarf flying and prancing around as if they were a feather elegantly leaping from one place to the next :lol: . The fact that the Mirkwood Ranger's in the trailer are always moving and shooting must mean something to the rules in the SBG surely. I am thinking something like a rule that negates all - shoot penalty and perhaps a 40-50% bow limit for " Army of Thranduil ".
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The rangers have grown on me, people are right, it will be interesting to see what thoughts are after the film is released ;-)
Of note though, elves are not humans, Tolkien had them as tall slim happy and gay (in the I'm happy and free sense), singing and dancing - I think the new figures fit this better than the last who were, let's face it humans with pointy ears! I have books and beastaries (sp?) from 70/80's which show elves as a race of tall slim almost mythical creatures... So I think they will grow on people, maybe ;-)

I like the palace guard, but will need to see them in person, the paint jobs and pictures online might not do them justice - we shall see.

Now the choice (1000 point Rivendel knights or 1000 point mirkwood army) - to buy it not to buy, that is the question!?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mirkwood all the way , new is fun and fresh.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Really liking Thranduil, Tauriel and the generic captains. Really nice sculpts. Legolas looks fat faced but theres so many Legolas miniatures thats not an issue.

Warming to the Mirkwood rangers and the palace guard, think they will look better in the flesh and a more muted palette will do wonders.

Beorn *looks* like hes made of plastic (i.e he looks shiny!) but I think as a sculpt its fantastic.

Spiders are going to need a hell of a ruleset. A large base like that will mean certain death to anything not really hard. I cant see how they can make them work.

I can see how you might not like the prices but in terms of quality its light years ahead of what was being put out in plastic for LotR (though I still love those models, they *are* inferior). Just check out the mines of moria fellowship compared to Thranduil. Also, I've got around 10 finecast boxes and never had an issue. I always found metal much more difficult to clean up then the actual use of them was always horrible with chips and breakages and so on. Horses for courses I guess :)

Really happy with the release.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Zarathustra Suicuine wrote:
I was really looking forward to the Palace guard, but they just seem... I don't know, the phrase that springs to mind is "un middle earth" which tbh comes entirely from those helmets? What on earth is happening with them? One of the nice things about the elf range was all the armour could be seen to be related, but those helmets seem to have more in keeping with uruk hai, and those collors? Galifrey falls no more sure, but time lord fashion should not be emulated. May pick up the captains, shame they are finecast though.

And you have just set the colour scheme for any Palace Guard I may buy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:06 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally I am a little troubled by the absence of Hobbitimages on the front of WD, is the range doing that badly, or are they just fed up with it?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bilbo wrote:
Personally I am a little troubled by the absence of Hobbitimages on the front of WD, is the range doing that badly, or are they just fed up with it?

Hmmm, also the lack of any mention of the Hobbit in GWs WD preview here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/b ... d=12000048

Is a bit worrying, hope there is some decent hobbit content in the WD and not just "oh by the way, here are the hobbit releases..."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 51  Next