All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

They haven't mentioned it in today's WDD because it's not up for preordering until tomorrow, they never mention new models on WDD until they're available to preorder at least

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

crixalis wrote:
Bilbo wrote:
Personally I am a little troubled by the absence of Hobbitimages on the front of WD, is the range doing that badly, or are they just fed up with it?

Hmmm, also the lack of any mention of the Hobbit in GWs WD preview here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/b ... d=12000048

Is a bit worrying, hope there is some decent hobbit content in the WD and not just "oh by the way, here are the hobbit releases..."

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

GW know that 40K is FAR FAR more popular (although I'm at a loss as to why, though I suspect that age has something to do with it - not to say that 40K is for children, but that a higher proportion of children love tanks and aliens more than Hobbits and Wizards, and considering the average population of a GW store whenever I go in is well below 15... well...it adds up to a MASSIVE TANK on the cover of white dwarf and not a halfling). I've seen far too many posts dismissing our releases as "Oh, that thing. The one Hobbit fan out there is going to be happy, I guess."

And the WD Preview is a joke anyway - because of GW's tight leak policy forbidding any promotion of something that's not already available to pre-order, it never features anything that's actually the focus of the magazine, just taking the other articles instead.

I would like to think we would at least have a battle report. Certainly we'll have some Designer commentary, I'd have thought. Probably not worth buying it for, sadly.

Pre-orders tonight though. I'm tempted to actually brave stepping into a GW store to pick the book up in a weeks time, because I'm not in a million years going to be able to wait till Monday/Tuesday to find out what's actually getting profiles and what isn't.

Anyone know already if they're going to order anything tonight?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Goldman25 wrote:
They haven't mentioned it in today's WDD because it's not up for preordering until tomorrow, they never mention new models on WDD until they're available to preorder at least

Whilst it's true that they never mention the new models in the White Dwarf daily preview, it's worth pointing out that they haven't mentioned the Hobbit in ANY White Dwarf preview over the last 12 months. They can only mention other articles that are in the magazine and, hard as it may be to believe, there hasn't been ONE SBG article in WD this year beyond the odd Paint Splatter or two. I think that speaks volumes to how serious GW are about supporting the line and it's one of the things that's got me worried about the future.

I'd also hope for a Battle Report and some designer notes but I'm not holding my breath, I think curiosity will get the better of me though and I'll probably download the iPad version whenever it goes online tonight.

As for ordering, I've got £75 of vouchers ready to blow on the new toys, I reckon I'm getting the Book, Spider, Thranduil, Tauriel and mad Thrain in the first instance and stick both plastic box sets on my Christmas wish list! Whether I order them tonight will depend on logistics: can you advance order models, have them delivered to a store and then pay with GW vouchers on the day? If not, I guess I'll just be first in line next Saturday!

One thing's for sure, I'll be online at midnight tonight drooling over hi-res pics of the gorgeous new toys and trying to glean every tiny bit of information from the new book's description! Fingers crossed!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Creaky wrote:
Anyone know already if they're going to order anything tonight?

Yeah i have £350 , ready to blow at 12:01 can't wait :D
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Now that sadly Green Dragon are no longer trading, can anyone recommend another independent online seller who can offer that personal service with discounts that GD used to?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dark sphere are pretty good.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've heard Darksphere are excellent and have some great prices. One I would definitely avoid is Totalwargamer, though the prices are sometimes lower than Darksphere, i've currently been waiting 16 days for dispatch/refund with not even a reply from support. Not the first time either (more fool me).

VG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Don't use Total Wargamer unless you are willing to wait six months for your new releases. I usually go with JT now (MoriaMadness) if it is personal service you want at discounted prices.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Harfoot wrote:
Now that sadly Green Dragon are no longer trading, can anyone recommend another independent online seller who can offer that personal service with discounts that GD used to?

PM me, I can always give you a quote 8)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have managed to order some of the items from AUJ but only because the discount was good. I have used this supplier numerous times and have never had any issues - any delayed items (a small percentage overall) were down to wholesaler/manufacturer supply chain issues and these have always turned up within the 28 day period.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've had great success with Element Games, they tend to ship pretty fast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Element run their store out of the North-West Gaming Centre where GBHL channel is based and are incredibly fast and good value. You should see how much they get done in the time it takes us to film just a couple of videos!

JT in Huddersfield (Ork-Ward Battles) is also a good call for a friendly, personal service :) And some good deals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ukfreddybear wrote:
Don't use Total Wargamer unless you are willing to wait six months for your new releases. I usually go with JT now (MoriaMadness) if it is personal service you want at discounted prices.

I have heard about them, thanks for the advise

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

MoriaMadness wrote:
Harfoot wrote:

PM me, I can always give you a quote 8)

Thanks, will do

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
the Palace Guard seem to be kind of odd and un-Middle-Earth-ish.

What's your definition of Middle-earthish? The palace guards are simply a replica of what Peter Jackson has done on the screen. Unless of course you are critiquing Peter Jackson's version (which is fine) but I think the most 'warhammery' models are those completely made up by GW.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think there's a general idea that lots of robes, cloaks and chainmail are more middle - Earth-ish. Dark Ages style stuff. Which might be true for the books, but it's not really applicable to the movie setting, imo. The Palace Guard don't look too out of place amongst the Uruk Hai, Galadhrim, Swan Knights and Easterlings, to me, anyway.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

cough 1 hour 45 minutes to go cough :D :D

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Only 15mins now! It's surprising me how excited I am to simply see more photos of models I've already seen, ah well, can't help getting carried away with all the excitement!

Turns out you can't pre-order and then pay with vouchers so I'll be breaking the Kingston door down at 10am on the 7th to make sure I get my toys! :D

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You're telling me Dr G :D I'll be both pre-ordering and buying more (probably) from my local on the 7th :D

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sixty seconds guys!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 51  Next