All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:51 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A bigger model with less intricate detail and less skill required to model :) just my opinion though. Can see why they've made that move, tis all :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

At least we're getting Gundabad Orcs!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:59 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Farmer Maggot wrote:
@Dr Grant, is there enough Hobbit content to make it worth getting White Dwarf?

That would be a big fat no; there's lots of nice pictures for the new releases that have all been leaked online and a few pics of the book. There's a couple of pics of a nice dwarven Armies on Parade, a paint splatter for the elves and 3 pages (5min read max) of design notes with the Perry's about the models. No battle report and no designers notes about the rules/releases.

As of yet I'm still sceptical about the future releases, there's a shot of the Barrels out of Bond scenario and the evil combatants are all AUJ profiles, no new orcs or anything. Whilst that's not proof of the absence of other models/profiles for Smaug/Bard/Necromancer/Laketown etc. this certainly seems to be being pitched as a Mirkwood supplement, I guess we'll see next weekend. Just to reiterate I'm not being needlessly negative, just looking at the evidence so far presented.

Anyhoo, enough of my worries, I love the models, getting a close look at the Rangers I love 'em, absolutely gorgeous. Really the only thing I'm not keen on are the generic captains and I doubt I'll need them for games. I LOVE the spiders, I think they're gorgeous and exactly what I was hoping for, I don't really get the 'they're too flat' opinions, they look great to me. Even if your think the poses are a bit dull, for all its faults a great advantage of Finecast is how easy it is to model and it should be easy enough to put a couple in trees or similar.

WD confirms that Leggy and Tauriel are plastic, as does the web description, the Fiencast tab is obviously just a mistake.

Great spot on the Gundabad Orc General Farmer Maggot, as I feared over on my rambling Bolg/Azog thread it seems we're getting a new CGI Bolg and that character will forever remain that big orc that Dwalin kills in the prologue of AUJ

I'm excited to get hold of the book and despite only just having finished painting 10/13 dwarves I really can't see how I'm going to resist getting that Barrels out of Bond set, those models are absolutely stunning, some of the best in the SBG range.

There's no doubt this is a fantastic month of releases and I truly hope there's a few more to come, right, now where did I put my wallet...

Edit: Oh hang on a min, seeing as Bolg has now been renamed 'Gundabad Orc General' there must surely be a new profile for that title. Promising stuff for other new Dol Guldur profiles.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

HTTP Error 500 Internal server error , i get this when i try to finish my payment , the actual payment transaction company server basically crashed it seems.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dr Grant wrote:
Whilst that's not proof of the absence of other models/profiles for Smaug/Bard/Necromancer/Laketown etc. this certainly seems to be being pitched as a Mirkwood supplement, I guess we'll see next weekend. Just to reiterate I'm not being needlessly negative, just looking at the evidence so far presented.

I would imagine they're staggering some releases into next year…if they put out a Mirkwood sourcebook, I imagine they'll have a Laketown sourcebook as well.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:27 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

"Profiles and rules for the Good and Evil miniatures in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug™." Seems to imply that every DoS character will be getting rules. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest we won't be getting future releases or that this release only covers Mirkwood.

Last edited by Draugluin on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OMG Thranduil is cross-eyed!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
  "Profiles and rules for the Good and Evil miniatures in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug™." Seems to imply that every DoS character will be getting rules. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest we won't be getting future releases or that this release only covers Mirkwood.

One would definitely hope so!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:59 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Does anyone know the base size of the spiders.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

They look like they're on 60mm bases from the pictures.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am looking at the GW The Hobbit pre-orders site - nice pictures of what are largely very good looking minis.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... e=athletic

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:24 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

turwaitheon wrote:
At least we're getting Gundabad Orcs!

Not yet

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The painting on some of these models (mostly Legolas and his dad) is some of the worst I've seen in a long time. Legolas' face in particular is simply an abhorrent paint job, I have no idea why they thought a close up cropped shot would be a good idea... It's odd because some of the other paint jobs in this release are really quite good.

I think Beorn looks pretty silly to be honest, with all that hair. They seem to have gone a bit crazy with all the hair they're doing for these films... If I wanted a Beorn model I'd go for Dave's majestic bear any day...

It's a shame about the barrels out of bond set being finecast... If it were plastic it would trust it not to be misshapen/warped on the bases of the models...

The spiders I suppose have OK designs (it's a spider, what more could you want) but the poses are kinda dull =/

I don't mean to sound too negative (though I probably do), I do quite like the rest of the releases in some ways.

Anyways, just my opinion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Beorn is very interesting, a metal binding on his arm and ripped flesh on his back. i will paint his trousers a different colour to his boots as this looks a bit strange to me.

One thing these releases have in common is STRIPES. all the clothes have stripes!!! Is this the latest trend in painting?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I personaly think that the Elven warriors seen in AUJ will also, at some point, be released. I hope.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Harfoot wrote:
Beorn is very interesting, a metal binding on his arm and ripped flesh on his back.

Aye, that is interesting... perhaps some kind of backstory with him being captured and hurt by the orcs...?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

turwaitheon wrote:
I personaly think that the Elven warriors seen in AUJ will also, at some point, be released. I hope.

They've been spotted during filming for movie 3, so I presume they represent the bulk of the Mirkwood army that isn't shown in movie 2. So I guess you might be right here. :)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Has anyone noticed that on gw online that radagast the brown with Sebastian has gone to despatch within 4 weeks , is he going oop you think ?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

army-of-the-dom wrote:
Has anyone noticed that on gw online that radagast the brown with Sebastian has gone to despatch within 4 weeks , is he going oop you think ?

He's been like that for a while. I emailed GW about it and they said he's coming back in stock and the website should be updated 'soon'. That was a week ago so god knows what's happening.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

VictoryGin wrote:
Thermo wrote:
I think we've got lots to be happy about! Yup, the warriors boxes are an expensive jump up, but same as a new 40k space marine box of 10 so it's consistent (shouldn't feel too hard done by) and they look like fab models

While I do love all these sculpts, I don't think this is a fair comparison. A space marine is literally about twice the size of a LotR mode, not to mention it being a multi-part plastic kit with a load of options.

I'm extremely happy they decided to release DoS as a sourcebook rather than another huge book, but with the recent release of all the profiles from AUJ for free on the GW website, it leaves me wondering what else is in the Big AUJ Book? Just modelling and hobby stuff? Is it any good? If there's only going to be one big book for three films I can perhaps justify the price tag!

VG

Apologies for my ignorance, but could you post the link to where all the Auj profiles were released on GW's website please? Thanks!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 51  Next