All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:33 am

Post subject: First clear image of Smaug
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

NZ Airline has a giant Smaug decal on their planes, and it looks pretty good. Obvious spoilers: http://news.yahoo.com/zealand-airline-r ... 36818.html

Post subject: Re: First clear image of Smaug
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks great! But I was hoping for a red dragon.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Exactly what I was thinking- the design doesn't disappoint, but the the colour isn't what I was expecting.

Luckily, in the modelling hobby we can paint whatever colour we like!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

From the images we have previously seen, I thought the colour would have been a very dark, brownish red, which I was ok with. However, a lot of references to his colour say "Smaug the Golden", or that he was coloured "reddish-gold" (from http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Smaug ).

For me, his colouring passes for a very realistic, reddish-gold, muted with browns and greys. I am thoroughly pleased with him, and I think that PJ and Weta have done an excellent job keeping Smaug realistic. From these images, I very much look forward to getting the model when/if it comes out, regardless of the price. :)

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks awesome! Way better than I expected based on the footage that has been released thus far. I was kinda scared that Smaug was going to be too 'pretty'/cartoonish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks pretty good. Would have like a slightly redder hue like the cover art on my edition of The Hobbit (not sure which one).

VG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The pieces of gold stuck in his scales seem to be present in the pic. Very cool!

MOLON LABE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Blue Dragon wrote:
From these images, I very much look forward to getting the model when/if it comes out, regardless of the price. :)

I recently bought the metal moria dragon just in case I don't like the mini or there isn't one.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bartelomeus wrote:
Looks awesome! Way better than I expected based on the footage that has been released thus far. I was kinda scared that Smaug was going to be too 'pretty'/cartoonish.

Completely agree, looks really good. I just hope that GW really do a model of him, totally brilliant. 11 days to go, have my ticket reserved in the local Odeon, 3D in 48 FPS, bring it on :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Something you guys have to know about lotr dragons...

Unlike msot fantasy dragons that comes with green, blue, red, purple type of dragons, lotr dragons are in most grey/whitish and black and they do change colour of a sort like chameleons, not to mix with the enviroment, but they do change colour of a sort depending on their mood.

As you see on the first movie, smaug on his original self hes grey but when a dragon is sleeping he reverts to like bears.

The concept is literally like this:

"Hibernation (from Latin: hībernus, of winter) is a suppressed metabolic state that falls under the umbrella-term of torpor or dormancy.
It is but one of many forms of metabolic suppression. Hibernation is a widespread and common survival strategy expressed under
the threat of a metabolic energy crisis. Conversely and considering that some animals exist in this state for the greater part of the year,
it could just as easily be considered the default metabolic state and up-regulation of metabolism merely a response
to the availability of energy. As the name suggests, hibernation has a seasonal connotation that points
to triggering by the threat of lowered ambient temperatures, famine, and darkness, e.g., autumn and winter;
hibernation during the summer months is called aestivation.

Often associated with lowered ambient temperatures, the central function of hibernation
is to ensure survival by conserving energy in anticipation of a period of food shortage.
The down-regulation of metabolism lowers metabolic needs and enhances tolerance of cold.
To achieve this energy saving state, endotherms entrain a series of energy-conserving physiologic response,
like peripheral vasoconstriction, bradycardia, lowered respiratory needs, core-body cooling, etc.
This has the concurrent effect of lowering whole-body metabolic rate, by effectively isolating and letting cool peripheral tissues
from central and more `vital´ tissues. In this stage, core (visceral) temperature may remains stable;
it remains undetermined whether visceral temperature reflects brain temperature.

As explained above hibernation in this case of dragons they just keep body heat low except the vital parts,
what happen to a human when its dead? dont he turn out purple and even more whitish with the cold affecting those parts?
We can assimilate dragon´s hibernation to something like that, the cells stop running to maintain all body and just keep
the vitals turning most of the body colour less healthy (white or darker.. or purple like dead thing... )

And same happens to smaug, hes grey as standart colour and when blood stop flowing through his body to let him hibernate
its a normal responce to get the body left to care for heath = skin of grey turns darkeropal kinda like polished blackbluish..

Now why you see the dragon red you wonder?
Like I mentioned above, dragons act like chameleons what matters to his mood, its pretty nature like when
some animal like snake or insect looks red to warn "its dangerous". Same Applies to Smaug, the red coloured skin
is something like BBC documentary about stegossaurus flowing blood into his plates to turn red as a sign of warning to the predator hes armed and dangerous.

watch this movie and you´ll see... keep attencion to the plating turning red and the documentary explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdcrYvhJr8

JUst in this case red dragon means, and a very very very angry dragon... which reveals the lacks of patience
he had about bilbo talking and when he got utterly angry at the lake men...

In the end you turn up just like this...

Also look the detail of the eyes... more blood flowing means more bright eyes, he turns from a yellow/golden eyes from sleeping into bright orange fiery eyes when hes angry..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hahahaha yeeeeesssss can't wait

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Check out the video of them putting Smaug on the plane:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11165776

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Awesome! Still can't accept him having only two legs...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

With his wings forward like that suggests that he is of a Wyvern form with claw terminals on his wings (in a bat like manner.)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The wyvern style will definitely look very sinister crawling about plus it will require a more 'powerful' pose to take flight. It should translate to the visual characterisation of Smaug quite well.

The redesign will also expose his chest more-so than having front legs.

MOLON LABE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He looks fantastic!

@ Galanur, I really enjoyed your post about them changing colours!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

apart from smaug interesting info and more related to miniature wise, I doubt they gonna release an actual smaug model for a couple reasons.

1- Smaug size would be 2 huge to even trying to make a worthy cast unless he would be limited edition.
This is a chaos dragon from forgeworld and its almost as scaled as the movie´s smaug size
(as we see well on the previous pics, bilbo is the size of smaug´s canine teeths)

the chaos dragon in relation to a chaos warrior
(chaos warrior is literally the size of an high elf with sword from the last alliance box)

Unless Gw would reduce the size to 30% to be like this size you can imagine the right size.

2- rules, his profile would be bettewn common dragons and the balrog, not sure how GW would fit that, suddently seeing all evil armies with a smaug in it.
3- he got no random dragon´s weaknesses I guess unless the rules would give hima limited amount of turns to be played.
4- its a model in 2 scenarios
5- he holds no alliance to watever´s size so I dunno....

what you guys think? btw FW chaos dragon cost around 190£ or least used to cost... there somesort limited editions now even from FW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't forget that the Mumak was scaled down by 50% and so was are the fell beasts. 4 haradrim fit in the top section of the Howdah, that only fits 1 miniature in the GW model.Personally I am not worried about Smaug being scaled (definitely a pun intended) down for a usable gaming miniature. I am expecting it to be the gem of the collection!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bilbo wrote:
Don't forget that the Mumak was scaled down by 50% and so was are the fell beasts.

That's a very good point!

So perhaps all this rumour about the model being shelved/rejected because it didn't follow proper scale is good old fashioned internet guff...

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mertaal wrote:
Bilbo wrote:
Don't forget that the Mumak was scaled down by 50% and so was are the fell beasts.

That's a very good point!

So perhaps all this rumour about the model being shelved/rejected because it didn't follow proper scale is good old fashioned internet guff...

Quite possibly Mertaal,

I also like you expression "good old fashioned internet guff" and wish to nab it for general conversatio!