All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Quote:
Also I wonder if Gollum in his coracle can be used in the "Barrels out of Bond" scenario? Though I suspect that this is highly unlikely!

That would be quite cool actually haha!

Yes, I think that it would really add something to the game. Also as the Company's "Barrels out of Bond" scenario is likely to ware a little thin after a while, and frankly they are not going to be usable on the majority of gaming tables or scenarios, I think a positive step needs to be taken and some tailor made scenarios produced by us! I am going to start a thread for this as the present "The Desolation of Smaug release thread" will run and run!

Please find thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26914&p=342262#p342262
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I seriously expected better from the guard´s for those mirkwood elves, If they were something like this.

I would like it more since they look elfish after all, not those that kinda look like barbarians from the north helm type in elfish bodies....

I like the rangers and im quite curious to know their rules, as they stand as rangers class as gondor rangers are for minas tirith bowmen I suppose.

Top models I like the most of this release goes for

1- tauriel and thranduil, of all those ressemble pretty well
2- mirkwood rangers along with their captains, very dynamic poses and gender for army wide which is quite unique for lotr standarts core since people can now make an all girl army if you wish (girls gonna love this) including female characters, adding more specialized all out girl armies like eowyn with some rohan bodyguard (melee medium armour class/cavalry), same with arwen (heavy armoured elves/good shooting) and now tauriel with rangers (light armoured class, excel at range)
3- dwarves in the barrels, more of the same but unique posing, who would like to play with dwarves in a barrel anyway? would be fun to watch lol
4- spiders... lovely things to have :P
5- beorn, although I do get a bit suspicious about the model face I do recognize when I like to see a BIG man with a BIG axe
5- legolas... looks a bit fat in the face but good pose (could be the painting though)
6- thranduil´s guard,pose looks awesome, bodies and shields looks awesome, they downgrade to me with the head details :(
7- thranduil´s guard captains, 1 look as weird as the rest, other looks like haldir´s twin or close relative really with lack of dynamic pose with that sword *sad face*
8- Thrain.. I just cant really like this guy :/
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="Galanur"]I seriously expected better from the guard´s for those mirkwood elves, If they were something like this.

I so WANT a figure of this! It looks cool and could do some serious damage as a heavy form of cavalry!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, the fact they are "palace guards" suggests exactly that and who knows, should we all dig deep enough into our pockets for all the new elves, they may release these armoured elves from this shot!

Hope so, they look very cool :)

Lots to look forward to community!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Indeed there is Thermo, great work on the recent vids by the way, been catching up over the last couple of evenings whilst I've been doing some painting. Nice to hear your views on the new figs and the Speak Friend and Question vids are a very easy listen.

Something that never ceases to amaze me is how a group of people can see EXACTLY the same pictures of EXACTLY the same models and have such incredibly different reactions. I love the Mirkwood Rangers whilst some people hate them. I adore the new spider sculpts, they were everything I was hoping for and, to me, are a wonderful improvement over those flat metal ones and yet a whole lot of people are disappointed with the new spiders because they're too flat! :roll:

I think it just goes to show how subjective all of this stuff is, maybe there's no such thing as a good miniature as everyone seems to see each miniature differently. it's a really wonderful aspect of the hobby and it's really interesting hearing other people's reactions to the figures.

Counting down the days to release now, Defo getting the book, Thranduil and Tauriel and I'm currently tossing up between Beorn and Thrain or the Spiders. Can't wait to dump myself on a sofa with a cuppa on Saturday afternoon and devour that book!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Me too. Christmas comes three times this year. The 7th, the 13th and the 25th. The first two dates are what have me excited.

Definitely got to try and pace myself, though. The urge just to buy three of each plastic set, half a dozen spiders and each single mini is slightly overwhelming. I think a safe start is the Rangers, the Elf heroes, Beorn and the book. That way I can probably do a 250 points game easily enough and build towards the scenarios - instead of ending up with 12 spiders just to realise i only need 4. Then of course i can blitz it when I have something to work off.

I wonder if anyone will get hold of the book early - I'm so desperate to know if it's just Sourcebook: Mirkwood or actually something more. I seem to recall the AUJ book ending up out early in some places, leading to sneak peeks at the Elf Knights, iirc.

Oh, and Galanur - those elves (or at least VERY similar) have been spotted in filming vlogs fighting in TABA, so we'll probably/hopefully see them then - they seem to represent the rank and file, as opposed to scouts and bodyguards, so it makes some sense that we might not see them until Mirkwood musters for full on war. They are certainly very, very cool.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Creaky wrote:
I wonder if anyone will get hold of the book early - I'm so desperate to know if it's just Sourcebook: Mirkwood or actually something more.

Judging by the bullet point "contents" on the GW website it's something more akin to a journey book I think.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, the last part of the text on the GW site says

· 8 brand new scenarios recreating the action-packed events in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug™.
· Rules for linking your games with Thorin’s Company into a dynamic narrative.
· Rules for fighting in the realm of Mirkwood, and 3 new Points Match Scenarios.
· A gallery showcasing several hobbyists’ collections of Citadel miniatures, inspired by the warriors of Middle-earth™ and the events of the movies.
· An ‘Eavy Metal masterclass of Gandalf™ the Grey.
· Profiles and rules for the Good and Evil miniatures in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug™.

Well, there are no evil models in pre-order atm so they better have to include those atleast :D I'm just hoping for the men of Dale to get some new stuff or being included in Laketown (and hope they get fancy stuff).

I guess the models we see now is a first wave of models and it's been a long time I've stood at my local GW at opening hour but now it's worth it just to get the nen (source)book

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just a thought do you think ‘mad’ Thrain will be a good or evil model?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@Dr Grant (Damian :)) Thanks matey, I'm glad people are using them for when they're getting painting done, I used to do the same with MWG videos but no LOTR/Hobbit. Now our hobby finally has some kind of daily content! :D

I agree, it's fab to see all the differing opinions. Ultimately, no opinion is right, the models are either for you, or they are not :)

How do you and Harrison fancy making a trip up after Christmas so we can film some batreps with you both? Itching at the bit to finally play you and both of your armies, plus will look great on the YouTube?

@Creaky, good effort pal! Look forward to seeing pics of your armies and hopefully get a game with you in the future! Mark out 12th/13th April next year for certain if you can!

Can't wait for this sourcebook/journey book either to check out what we can expect this year. it's all very exciting!

@Farmer Maggot - I suspect evil with a chance of going to good (so opposite to a Denethor for example :) What does everyone else think?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

belgiumfire wrote:
Well, there are no evil models in pre-order atm

I'd say Mirkwood Spiders are definitely evil! (And with a name and base size that's different from the current big spider models, a new profile too).
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Creaky wrote:
I wonder if anyone will get hold of the book early - I'm so desperate to know if it's just Sourcebook: Mirkwood or actually something more. I seem to recall the AUJ book ending up out early in some places, leading to sneak peeks at the Elf Knights, iirc.

Me too, I'll be running into the store and ripping through the pages before I even glance at the models. As for a leak, one user had the rulebook on the Thursday last year (2 days early) and was posting a Q&A about the rules changes for anyone interested. However, this wasn't particularly big news as the White Dwarf had contained designer notes and a Battle Report that revealed a lot of that info already. There certainly weren't any picture leaks from the rulebook, I think the first pics of the pre-release models (Rivendell Knights, Eagles, Grimhammers etc.) started appearing online the following week. I doubt there'll be a leak now, sadly SBG just isn't big enough news, I think we'll all be finding out exactly what that book contains Saturday morning.

Farmer Maggot wrote:
Just a thought do you think ‘mad’ Thrain will be a good or evil model?

Great question and I really don't know, Thermo's idea of a Denethor-alike seems good - essentially a Good model with a 'broken mind' kind of rule. I imagine he must appear in a scenario in the book (there's a pic of him about to jump on Gandalf like he does in the trailer in the new WD) but not much more than that. I'm guessing he only appears in that one scene and then dies in the film.

Thermo wrote:
do you and Harrison fancy making a trip up after Christmas so we can film some batreps with you both? Itching at the bit to finally play you and both of your armies, plus will look great on the YouTube?

Ha, maybe, it'll be a long old drive but lay on enough games and we may well be up for it, it'll be cool to try some new toys out. We might well be able to help you out with those scenarios you mentioned in the Q&A vid, I've pretty much got everything painted for the Fellowship and Two Towers scenarios and I'll have Thorin's Company finished by then for some Hobbit love! I've defo got the 12th/13th April in the diary though, presumably for some tournament action?!?!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Help with figures for the scenarios would be top draw… top top draw :) We'd love to film the scenarios but it's having the painted minis which is the issue. Help with this massively appreciated.

If you headed up for games, we should be able to get about 5 filmed in a day/3 games (Jamie and me play each of you = 4 videos plus a doubles… North vs South?!) More than welcome to make it a weekend if it makes it more worth your while with the travel!

Yup, scribble down the date, it's going to be an immense occasion of delightful Hobbitness (will announce in details post Chrimbo!)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Counting down the days to release now, Defo getting the book,

Personally I shall be reading mine! Arf Arf!

Thranduil and Tauriel and I'm currently tossing up between Beorn and Thrain or the Spiders. Can't wait to dump myself on a sofa with a cuppa on Saturday afternoon and devour that book![/quote]

Yes, I to an greatly enthused, the book will be gracing my shelves and a swift read at the store will almost certainly result in a purchase., though I shall try and be restrained.

I quite like the Beorn and the Spiders are pretty much top of the list as I know I can get them up and painted swiftly, and always like painting Giants and Monsters.

I hope that we will get a full Dol Guldur, Spiders of Mirkwood, Thranduil's realm Laketown and an updated Erebor and Azog's Hunter's army lists?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

From the new book I am especially excited to see some new dol guldur orcs, or gundabad orcs. From the trailer when they flood out of Dol Guldur they look promising, but you never know.

I am also very curious to see the stats for the new elves. Will they continue to have a 1/3 bow limit with the rangers or a no bow limit? Probably 1/3. Will the Palace Guards give us a Strength 4 Elf unit? Probably not. But either way I am definitely getting some Palace Guards. I love the look of the miniatures!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dr Grant wrote:
As for a leak, one user had the rulebook on the Thursday last year (2 days early) and was posting a Q&A about the rules changes for anyone interested.

That would've been me, thank you very much. :p
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="Dragon from the East"]From the new book I am especially excited to see some new dol guldur orcs, or gundabad orcs. From the trailer when they flood out of Dol Guldur they look promising, but you never know.

I too had assumed that they werre issuing forth from Dol Guldur, but they could well be comming from Mount Gundabad? You never know

I too am excited by to see the new stats, I personally hope that we have a specific Dol Guldur type of orc as well as giant Gundabad orcs.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My plan is to paint the BB set ASAP, play a few games with them and then make a diorama.
Can not wait, really looking forward to Saturday

[edited by moderator]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Can we just call them Barrels? [the other] is a pretty terrible acronym.

[edited by moderator]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:lol:
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 51  Next