All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm doing a happy little dance in bed at this news. This is great!

Second the request for news on Smaug/The Necromancer. Also, Scenarios?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fantastic news. If the spiders can spit poison that would be a cool new thing. Also since they won't need a hero, they will be super easy to ally with.

Beorn sounds amazing, and I'm really glad Yazneg is getting rules. Too cool of a monster to be ignored. Also I like how they made the Gundabad Orcs similar to the Gundabard Blackshields, it shows that Mr. Troke is looking out for us XD Same with Thranduil, I like consistency.

Those palace guard sound mean, especially since they will have spear support! Nice rules all around, cannot wait!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I edited my post - somethink new 'bout Dale/Lake Town.
Tomorrow gonna know more

Also supposedly there in no Smaug in the book.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Please let the Gundabad Orc's be badass!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bartelomeus wrote:
Please let the Gundabad Orc's be badass!

I guess the Gundabad Orc's are going to be a same statline as the hunter orcs but with other wargear options. (same strenght and Fight I guess) but maybe with heavy armour and special rule (not the many blade one the hunters have).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm going to assume that Beorn has more than just 1 wound. No way would that expensive of a model have only 2 wounds. He does, however, sound amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

[edited: we can't post stats directly. He has the same wounds as Aragorn]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:48 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So glad I got a look at that post before it was removed! It's interesting that the only things that sound like they're missing from the book are the Necromancer and Smaug (I'm assuming that the slightly vague wording about the Laketown section might well include the Master and Alfrid) both if whom you would think would be on a first-looker's hit-list to check the stats for.

I have a theory that these are both characters that will be heavily digital and whose appearance and abilities might change very late in the process - just like the Goblin King and the Trolls, both of which I've heard complaints of that the faces don't resemble the faces in the movie. However, if you look at the concept art that GW was working from in the WETA Chronicles book then these sculpts are absolutely spot on, it's just the mo-capped faces added late in the day make a huge difference to their appearance.

I think a similar thing might be happening with the Necromancer and Smaug, after the Azog mix-up last year GW might want to hold back on these figures until they're actually shown and then release them later in the year. GW have shown of late for 40K and FaNtasy that they're pursuing the digital release model (they're releasing rules for new models/formation almost every day for advent) and we might see a similar rules pack released for these big centrepiece models. We could even get their rules in the box like the warriors of Dale.

Of course the other possibility is all their rules are in the book and Kev's source just missed 'em :-)

SO. EX. CITED.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lalalala la la lala lala laaaaaa! Can't hear or read anything! I am so looking forward to having a fresh film book in my hands with new models and stats, and we may only ever have one more to come, unless they make the silmarilion? I don't wan't any surprises spoilt before Saturday!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sheer awesomeness :) All our channel DOS stuff is ordered, can't wait to go through it all with Jamie. Kids at Christmas… literally!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What did you order James :D ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bilbo wrote:
Lalalala la la lala lala laaaaaa! Can't hear or read anything! I am so looking forward to having a fresh film book in my hands with new models and stats, and we may only ever have one more to come, unless they make the silmarilion? I don't wan't any surprises spoilt before Saturday!

I'm in awe of your willpower Bilbo! For me it's the opposite, I know we've probably only got one more film/supplement release after DOS so I want to bury myself in the hype and devour every little scrap of news and teaser I can find, I love that almost every day there's some new pic or clip from the film and for me it just builds the excitement. I've been saying that DOS will be the best of the three since they announced the trilogy and based on everything I've seen so far it looks like it'll be true - sooo excited to get these models on the board and start playing out the film in Mirkwood!

Speaking of which the latest Production Diary has just gone live for anyone who's interested!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152044014321558

4:20pm on Friday the 13th seems like a lifetime away!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm with you Dr Grant, gobbling up all these little leaks like I've never eaten! Have spent my morning "post-weetabix" searching around for my Ruin of Arnor to get a rough idea of Gulahvur points cost for Beorn!

Putting him in Wanderers army list is just… perfect! I'm with you Dr Grant, him plus some eagles… ahhh can't wait to see the bear form! Definitely the model I'm most excited by.

Some really interesting potential stats and rules there… I really can't wait to get my stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks a lot Kevin, much appreciated!

Most stuff sounds interesting and pretty good, though time will tell if 100% Mirkwood bows isn't a little bit too much. Beorn sounds great, looking forward to the Bear figure.

Not sure what to think of the Smaug absence, there is no reason why they couldn't give the rules without showing a picture (they did the same with the Return of the King version of the rules, several profiles went without model). Maybe they'll give the rules with the model.. intentional, or they forgot to add him in! :P
Necromancer itself may only be shown in the third movie in full, if they don't show the entire siege of Dol Guldur and aftermath yet?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow I am super excited about Beorn's bear form. I hope Laketown becomes a fully fledged faction with multiple troop types, and heroes.

I have already booked my tickets for Thursday and I am ardently building terrain pieces for the huge battle we'll inevitably have after watching the movie!

Btw in Greece the first screening of the movie is on the 12th, not on the 13th.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

We get it on the 12th in NZ too, though whether I wait until the 13th for the save of convenience... we'll see.

Rather than the rules in the book, I'm more interested in the pictures. Are there pictures accompanying all the new profiles?

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Also hoping for fully developed Laketown faction… from the shots of Bard I'm hoping for a truly gorgeous miniature to go with those stats and boom, I WILL be spending more pennies to add this to my growing collection!

Can't wait for the bear miniature either.

If all those rules/stats turn out to be true, I shall be very happy. They look fluffy and pretty much spot on in my opinion. Tauriel seems like a really good anti horde tank, leading Mirkwood rangers. Love it!

As for the movie, Jamie and I are going first thing on 13th in UK. We'll watch it for fun, then a second time for a review for the GBHL channel (there won't be obvious spoilers so if you can't watch it before we do, definitely check out our review on the channel) then taking fiancé in the evening. I have in fact taken the day off to do this! Haha…

One Ringers… what have you done to me?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In Belgium...

Tuesday 10/12 20h00: An Unexpected Journey
Wednesday 11/12 00h01: Desolation of Smaug

Looking forward ... big time :twisted:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

if the evil side is only getting 3 models then going to be a little disappointed, especially since spiders are not monsters but are on HUGE bases meaning that they can be ganged on and killed very easily which is a shame.

*waits to see any more news for the evil team.*
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okey guys new info today, and unfortunetly some changes from yesterday. Rules and stat lines are mostly the same as I wrote but point cost is higher, more then less :(
Both Mirkwood Rangers and Palace Guards cost is the same as UH Berserker -1 point. Rangers have bow, elven coats and 2 daggers(but probably not throwing ones), and Palace Guards come only with elven blade.
Only major rules change go for Bard - cost the same as I wrote yesterday, stat line Legolas like(at least the basic statistics, dunno but M/W/F) but -1 to fight value. He dosn't have to kill to shoot again, as long as new target is in 3" from the last one. Also Black Arrow works slighty different. Still ones in a game. Rerolls of ITW, if it hits, it automaticly wounds(IMO gonna work fine against Nazgul).

Alfred - a lake town hero, cost as 4 MG with shield, can lead warband, low stat line, thats the dude with will for mights rule - can bring above the starting value.

Master of Lake Town - stats as Lake Town cap, but 2 special rules - if there's a LT cap in 6" from him, he can use caps might to gets his fight value +1(but not sure 'bout this - maybe collegue of mine made mistake and this work like 1 might point from LT Master = +1 FV for LT cap), the second rules is that at the beginning of the game Good Side player with LT Master in army has to choose of of his own heros-he's now super rich - if during the game LT master would come to base contact with the super rich model he has to pass courage test - if not, he's dead.

Cap of LT - only know that he's 8 MG with shields point cost.
Troops from lake town - stats and points value as common orcs but shoot with human value - can buy spear or bow

Girion - costs as 13 MG with shields. Avarege stats line, 2 might points, can reroll wounding against flying monsters(not like I wrote yesterday +1 :( )
Cap from Dale and troops - as we know.

Spiders - as I wrote yesterday - theh shoot on 5+, if it hits the target is paralysed like from Barrows spell. 8" move.

Army Lists:
Mirkwood - all new elfs
Laketown - Bard, Master of Lake Town, Alfred, Caps of LT, troops from LT
Dale - Girion, Dalish caps and troops
Army of Thror - as we know it with Thrain the broken(indep) and Dalish caps and troops, but no Girion(dunno why)
Hunter Orcs - as we know it + Gundabad Orcs and Caps
Also new AL with Spiders and Fell Wargs(but not sure how it works)

There are pics of all models in the book without Girion and Gundabad Caps.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 51  Next