All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It all sounds very exciting thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I guess I'll have a Dale/Laketown force soon.
As I'll sure the Dalish warriors as a elite force of laketown.

I'm so excited!!! :D

Thanks for posting this, you are a daymaker!

Also, have you seen the pictures of the Laketowner? Are they in the same style as the Warriors of dale? (I hope they do :twisted: )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sounding great!

Laketown is definitely on the table for me after Mirkwood then, allyin some Dale to back things up and I might be able to get a decents ized force without going in and converting Riders of Rohan into cavalry. :D

Got plenty of Hunter Orcs already, but I'll definately have to expand it for the scenarios (24 hunter orcs on foot, according to WD) and add the Gundabad Orcs.

The beasties list sounds interesting, for sure. I'm interested to see how that works out. Might finally encourage me to pick up those Fell Wargs I've been intending to get for about 6 months.

Only real disappointment (for me) is no Necromancer. I'd expected Smaug to either not be in at all, or come later on next year, but I was hoping for something more Saurony. I suppose I can always ally in the version from Mordor, but using a proxy/conversion designed to look more like the movie version.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lets hope for a follow up book next year featuring Smaug. Thanks for the info Kevin from Mitril, i look forward to getting the book on Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Smaug and Necromancer will most likely be the last release before the summer ( classic time when GW stop releasing new models for Hobbit ). I think we will get profiles and rules from a little slip sheet like we did for Warriors of Dale. They may even not release it until the third film , which is well a bit odd considering Smaug dies in the second film does he not?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Give me a week and I'll be able to tell you :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

RefluentMonk wrote:
They may even not release it until the third film , which is well a bit odd considering Smaug dies in the second film does he not?

SPOILER ALERT :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Im glad about the 100% bow limit for Mirkwood rule , makes me feel alot happier after buying 40 Mirkwood ranger's , giving me a total of 3 warbands ( 1st led by Legolas , 2nd led by Tauriel , 3rd led by generic mirkwood ranger captain ). Thranduil seems best to lead the palace guard as we have yet to see him in a ranger like armor.

Now i just need to gather some more Citadel woods , 12 in total to cover my 4x4 boards. Now considering Mirkwood would be rough terrain ) all the webbing dead woods ) , cavalry movement would be reduced to half in the woods , so effectively an all Mirkwood Ranger army would annihilate :D
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RefluentMonk wrote:
Smaug and Necromancer will most likely be the last release before the summer ( classic time when GW stop releasing new models for Hobbit ). I think we will get profiles and rules from a little slip sheet like we did for Warriors of Dale. They may even not release it until the third film , which is well a bit odd considering Smaug dies in the second film does he not?

My guess is PJ will keep the Necromancer back for the third film, and build slightly in DOS. So i don't think we will see much Necromancer action from GW until next year

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

RefluentMonk wrote:
They may even not release it until the third film , which is well a bit odd considering Smaug dies in the second film does he not?

No, he doesn't, apparently. I thought he might, honestly. Movie 3 is going to be jam packed with stuff.

It is possible they would want to save all the Siege of Dol Guldur stuff for one big release, so that makes a degree of sense.

I have to say, i'm surprised that the Gundabad orcs are in. (Also that my ipad just corrected my misspelling of Gundabad.) I seriously thought they'd save them to release next year, opposite the Iron hills Dwarves.

Definitely very optimistic about the game now, whereas two days ago I was slightly terrified.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is it me or is the scene where Gandalf fights some invisible enemy in the trailer , sort of the same as when he fights saruman before he builds his uruk pits in secret and burns all the forest down. While Gandalf is fighting at Dol Guldur , Sauron is building his hidden Gundabad orc armies , and Gandalf escapes... let me guess by the butterfly sign then the... eagles :O . If they used this i would be very surprised. I am just speculating here so dont take too much notice :)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okey next changes from the last post of mine:
Master of Lake Town - the rule with chosin Super Rich hero works the same as I wrote but ya chose Hero from Enemy side.
Also the secong rule 'bout boosting fight value works slightly different - he boost F value of every Guardian of the Lake(dunno if caps and heros too) by 1 for 6" radius for might point. Works until the end of the turn.

Probably there are gonna be still some changes. I've not seen the book - all that info comes from polish LotR/HUJ site, from the dude that seen it twice, but don;t have it, so every time he sees it there is a limit to what he can remember. I just did a quick translation, but was too lazy to translate scenarios rules.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

RefluentMonk wrote:
Im glad about the 100% bow limit for Mirkwood rule , makes me feel alot happier after buying 40 Mirkwood ranger's , giving me a total of 3 warbands ( 1st led by Legolas , 2nd led by Tauriel , 3rd led by generic mirkwood ranger captain ). Thranduil seems best to lead the palace guard as we have yet to see him in a ranger like armor.

Now i just need to gather some more Citadel woods , 12 in total to cover my 4x4 boards. Now considering Mirkwood would be rough terrain ) all the webbing dead woods ) , cavalry movement would be reduced to half in the woods , so effectively an all Mirkwood Ranger army would annihilate :D

Cav are reduced to 1/4 movement in difficult terrain. an entirely wooded board is cheating. If you ever try that, at least give your opponent a points advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Much like Creaky this has done wonders to allay my fears and relax me. Knowing there's a full lake town faction and some new orcs coming has finally dispelled those niggling doubts I had!

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Necromancer itself may only be shown in the third movie in full, if they don't show the entire siege of Dol Guldur and aftermath yet?

Harfoot wrote:
My guess is PJ will keep the Necromancer back for the third film, and build slightly in DOS. So i don't think we will see much Necromancer action from GW until next year

Obviously we don't know for sure yet but I'm pretty sure the Dol Guldur section is going to be split over the two films in some way. Although bear in mind Lego have released their Necromancer figure so I feel pretty sure we're going to be seeing him in some form in DOS.

RefluentMonk wrote:
Smaug and Necromancer will most likely be the last release before the summer ( classic time when GW stop releasing new models for Hobbit ). I think we will get profiles and rules from a little slip sheet like we did for Warriors of Dale. They may even not release it until the third film

This makes the most sense to me, the big bads of the first three films (Sauron, Fell Beast, Mumakil) were all released in the summer after the film with rules to accompany them as GW didn't know their finished forms in advance. I reckon the same is happening here, having seen Kev's list of releases they're bound to be releasing these models but they'll do them as independent entries with rule sheets in the box/WD/digital download in a few months time. I'm fine with this, neither of them are particularly high on my wants list, I basically wanted all the elves, Beorn, the spiders, Gundabad orcs and Laketowners, looks like this supplement is EXACTLY what I was hoping for! :D

RefluentMonk wrote:
which is well a bit odd considering Smaug dies in the second film does he not?

Pretty sure he doesn't die in this one, supposedly the film ends with some sort of confrontation between the dwarves and Smaug. Besides, the film's about 2 hours 40mins, I'm guessing we don't even meet Smaug until the 2 hour mark (there's a LOT to get through before then) and it'd be a bit of an anticlimax if the major villain dies within 40 mins. They're bound to kep him over as a presence for the first act in film 3. I reckon the dwarves rouse him to anger with the confrontation at the climax and then he flies off to Laketown to exact revenge. As I've said before, I think this will mean the film ends with the dwarves driving Smaug out of the mountain and 'reclaiming' their homeland in a far more heroic way than in the books.

Loving all the tidbits form Kevin about the new rules, not quite clear on the Master yet but I'd guess his rule is a disadvantage as he's a corrupt politician. So he picks one hero on the enemy side and if that hero touches him he's removed, something similar to that. I've got to say so many of these rules sound soooo cool and fluffy, it's one of the things I love about SBG, rules that make narrative sense, not just rules for rules sake.

Also, Mirkwood Rangers have two daggers? Are we getting elves with two attacks?!?! All wearing elven cloaks?!?!? Presumably hitting on 2+?!?!?! With a 100% bow limit?!?!?! Methinks they're gonna be shooting up the meta!

Thanks so much for all the info Kevin, it's much appreciated!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wonder if the Shadowlord will return to his former popularity if these Mirkwood treehuggers are as dangerous as they sound...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have the book plus extras (in English) the lake masters rule states that your opponent may nominate a hero to be super rich blah blah blah. Doesn't say what side he has to be on. Also, the detail on the plastic rangers IMMENSE!

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I did just watch the FB thing courtesy of Dr Grant, and yes I am getting excited!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Shadow lord protection range is only 6 inches so you would have to bunch them up alot to protect them from the Ranger's. I would estimate that only about 25% of your force could be protected at any one time i guess maybe 50% with some serious smart and tight positioning.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Also, Mirkwood Rangers have two daggers? Are we getting elves with two attacks?!?! All wearing elven cloaks?!?!? Presumably hitting on 2+?!?!?! With a 100% bow limit?!?!?! Methinks they're gonna be shooting up the meta

They have the same rule as tauriel regarding attacks. They have 100% bows when led by certain people and yes they have elf cloaks. Only shoot 3 though.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Draugluin wrote:
Cav are reduced to 1/4 movement in difficult terrain. an entirely wooded board is cheating. If you ever try that, at least give your opponent a points advantage.

Agreed, lots of woodlands would be like a siege and should be points-balanced appropriately.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 51  Next