All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I get the feeling that it won't happen. Between last minute design changes, scale issues and low Hobbit SBG sales, I just think GW won't think it's worth the effort.

How can we know if the Hobbit SBG sales have been high or not? The only possible indication one can offer is that the Limited edition Goblin Town is still in stock after nearly a year; other than that it's only guesses.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The EfGT may have been ltd ed when the hobbit was only 2 movies. But now it is 3, maybe GW realised they needed to keep it in production. Far easier to make a sale calling it ltd ed.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

New Bolg here in my own little thread :-D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26980

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Constantine wrote:
Quote:
I get the feeling that it won't happen. Between last minute design changes, scale issues and low Hobbit SBG sales, I just think GW won't think it's worth the effort.

How can we know if the Hobbit SBG sales have been high or not? The only possible indication one can offer is that the Limited edition Goblin Town is still in stock after nearly a year; other than that it's only guesses.

I know it's only anecdotal, but my local independent shop has probably sold less than 50% of their total Hobbit stock for the last year. He only orders one of each thing in and some boxes have been there for a year now. He's stopped ordering Hobbit stuff in at all now, unless a customer requests it. Might make him an offer for all the remaining stock after christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The guy at my local store said that all of the new FC stuff is splash only. I assume they would only do that if the range isn't doing too well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Scib wrote:
ResurrectedBones wrote:
Dr Grant wrote:
have to wait to Friday to know for sure!

Sorry if I'm missing something huge, but what happens on Friday?

The film is out!

Haha of course, bit of an over-sight. Woops!

"I love only that which they defend."
-Faramir
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have to say this release is really disappointing compared to what we got a year ago. No starter set is a huge negative and I'm sure it's driven by GWs feeling they can generate more money without a starter set. Also, the huge amount of Finecast releases is a big downer for me.

I did pick up the Mirkwood Rangers, which are brilliant sculpts, but to collect anything close to what I did for the AUJ releases will be extremely expensive. I can't help but think what could of been with a starter set containing some spiders, wood elves, Thrandiul, and some forest scenery.

I also flipped through the DoS book (64 pages) at the LGS and there is really very little useful content outside of a few scenarios and a handful of profiles. Roughly half the book is pictures of models and basic painting guides, stuff we used to get in WD. It seems as if another DoS book is forthcoming as there seems to be very little coverage of the film from a story perspective. The Gundabad Orcs look pretty good, but I'll reserve judgment until better pics are available.

Overall, I am very disappointed and the writing is on the wall that GW plans to do as little as possible to "support" this game. Still, I will buy the plastics I like and probably a Finecast set or two, but that's about it.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Arkenstone wrote:
I have to say this release is really disappointing compared to what we got a year ago.

I have the opposite reaction, I like this release much better. I had no interest in the goblin town goblins, nor the trolls. Only the eagles, knights, and hunter orcs were interesting to me. This time around I plan to get most of them.

The Arkenstone wrote:
Overall, I am very disappointed and the writing is on the wall that GW plans to do as little as possible to "support" this game.

I don't think anyone expected anything else. We know their track record. Get 'em while you can!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's clearly not true anymore because there were posters all over the Harlequin centre in Watford this weekend saying 'Hobbit Desolation of Smaug Strategy Battle Game sold here.' With various pictures from the movie and directions to the GW store!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
The guy at my local store said that all of the new FC stuff is splash only.

Sorry to be the dense person, but what does that mean? "Splash only" isn't a term I'm familiar with.

I'd have loved a starter box with spiders and elves. Plastic spiders would be freakin awesome!

But in general I like the new releases. I shall pick up a box of mirkwood rangers to ally in to another elf force, or perhaps just to proxy as wood elf sentinels. More evil-love would have been welcome though. I was hoping for a few extra troop types for misty mountain orcs or even goblintown. Unless you're happy to ally it's hard to make a goblin town list that isn't a bit… boring?

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:53 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think “splash only” means that shops will get an initial allocation but when they are sold out it won’t be available as a standard stock item and you’ll have to order if you want it.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Scib wrote:
ResurrectedBones wrote:
Dr Grant wrote:
have to wait to Friday to know for sure!

Sorry if I'm missing something huge, but what happens on Friday?

The film is out!

In Belgium it's tomorrow :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think the lack of Laketown scenario's in the new book is strange. Especially when you take in mind that a lot of the soon to be released miniatures (Bard, Master of Laketown, Alfred, Laketown soldiers) are Laketown related.

But, as was stated before, this could be because of the fact that the original two movies are divided into a trilogy or any other script changes after Games-Workshop started working on this expansion.

However, It wouldn't have been to hard to just add one scenario which featured the new Laketowners.

Aside from this 'gap' I'm really happy with this release. Except from Bearform Beorn the miniatures are stunning. Especially the Mirkwood Rangers, who I got to see as a WIP in the local GW, are some really nice sculpts.

So far I've just bought the book, but coming christmas I'm expecting to add some rangers and Legolas/Tauriel to my collection.

Only downside for me is the scale of the scenario's. Getting everything you need to play the DOS-campaign will cost a small fortune. However, maybe something can be done about this by simply using half of the participants for each scenario or combining a couple of collections into one.

Going to see the movie this saturday, maybe it will offer some inspiration for the creation of a few Laketown scenario's :)!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Farmer Maggot wrote:
I think “splash only” means that shops will get an initial allocation but when they are sold out it won’t be available as a standard stock item and you’ll have to order if you want it.

Ahhh, gotcha- thanks :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And I was hoping for something involving a Mermaid!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hur hur hur!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Has anyone purchased the Mirkwood Spiders set? If so, can you give a quick review of the quality/detail and what the components are?

A pic of the components would be great, but otherwise a description of what they are and how the legs are attached would be great.

I'm concerned about the stability of long thin resin pieces.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Arkenstone wrote:
Has anyone purchased the Mirkwood Spiders set? If so, can you give a quick review of the quality/detail and what the components are?

A pic of the components would be great, but otherwise a description of what they are and how the legs are attached would be great.

I'm concerned about the stability of long thin resin pieces.

I too would appreciate this as I have had frankly an appalling experience with finecast. I have noticed the the DOS reviews have been good so far, but thin legs in such a brittle material disturbs me. If they were in plastic I would have bought some already.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I gave up on the spiders when I saw that you needed 18 of them to play one of the scenarios. That's nearly £200 for one sides worth of troops for a small scenario.

Throw in the fact that they're not that good, liable to be surrounded because of their base size and terrible points per pound value and I'm looking for alternatives.

I was so so shocked when i saw them in packs of two on huge bases - I guess I just expected a plastic six pack, like the wargs. Then I'd grab three boxes for the scenario, and be fully happy.

I just need to get some 60mm bases, and hunt down some alternatives. The ebob ones are attractive, so i might get one, and see how it works on a 60mm base. If it looks the right size, i'll grab a load.

Need a Bolg mini, pronto.

I wonder what we'll get in January. Laketown?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I got them and they are really good, cast well. The size surprised me, they are large. You get 2 identical spiders with 4 pairs of legs each. My plan is to warm the legs to form different positions.

If know one else does I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next