All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:55 pm

Post subject: Using cavalry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have heard conflicting views on cavalry, some say it sucks and should not be touched, some say it is awesome, and others seem mixed.
I was wondering if small numbers of cavalry can work as part of an army, where the bulk are on foot with a small warband mounted? For instance, would this be any good?
Isildur 100pts
12 Numenorian warriors: 4 with spears and sheilds, 8 with shields

Knight of Rivendell captain with shield 90pts
5 Rivendell knights with shields 110pts
Total:400pts
It is a nice little list, but I'm not sure on it just because of the mubers I could get even with pure elves if went non mounted, but I do want to try the rivendell knights I have out as I have a box, and I figure this could work.
 Post subject: Re: Using cavalry
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The quality of cavalry in this game is based on the quality of the hand that guides them. You have to pick your moments carefully and don't get stuck in combat or counter-charged. If you find yourself thinking "ah, what the heck…chaaaaarge!", then it's probably not going to work… (he said, from experience :) )

As for the list, I'm not sure it will work that well. You'll have to do a lot of running around for those bows to have much effect, and most enemies will have enough numbers to chew up your Numenorians and suffer the shooting losses. The knights would be better in a much larger force. The wild card is Isildur, I haven't used him yet.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As it's a 400 point list a lack of numbers will still be more forgiving than larger games but I'd recommend taking more troops. Isildur is a pretty strong hero but I'd personally drop him for a Captain and add in a few High Elf foot soldiers with elven blades to bolster your infantry numbers

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dropping Isildur for a captain would not help as the rivendell knight captain is in a separate list to high elf warriors on foot, and I would only be able to get one extra knight, and would then 18pts left over, which is an awkward amount thanks to warbands.
Most evil players seem to field goblin or Harad armies, so the Numenorians can hold them.
I would not use the knights just for shooting, but it is something that I would try to use, the main thing is their speed, knock down and lances, the idea being that the fight value of the numenorians and Isildur should keep them till the knights can do their work, I'd be trying t use their speed to get at enemy banners, heroes in the case of the captain or units already in combat with the Numenorians.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You're right. I had forgotten about the whole split-lists, really hope that they change that for the High Elves soon, they need it

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Zarathustra Suicuine wrote:
"
Most evil players seem to field goblin or Harad armies"

Respectfully, This may be true locally to you, but I don't think it's an accurate statement in general.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Cavalry is certainly more difficult to use than infantry. Whereas foot troops simply move into position and have all the benefits of supporting models, shielding and greater numbers cavalry trade all of this away for mobility and charging bonuses.

The first step is to make sure you are using that mobility. Keep on the move and use your speed to get into the position you want to. Heroic marches will make your men move very fast indeed.
The next is to engage the enemy on your terms, hit them hard where they are weak then back off and do it again. This takes some practice to get the hang of and is twice as difficult to do against experienced players but it does work.
Finally there are horse archers...
With the modifier to shooting when you move its now more tempting to sit still and fire bows. The increased height of a horse can also help sometimes in firing over walls ect depending on LOS.
However you have also paid a lot to make that archer mounted and in the case of rivendel knights probably want to make some charges as well. You need to find the balance of moving, moving while firing, knowing when to back of and shoot as well as when to charge. Only gaming will give you the insight you need for this, so take em out for a spin :)

Might points are essential for any cavalry contingent as you will need heroic actions to get you out of trouble or to just make sure you're getting your charge bonuses.

In my opinion cavalry are fantastic, I love using them. They are difficult but rewarding. Taking a small cavalry contingent in a predominantly infantry force is a good way to learn how to use them. Taking an entirely cavalry force is very fun but the most effective army should probably retain some boots in the dirt for flexibility.

Could write essays on the subject but thought I'd be concise :)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you ever have the inclination, I would be eagre to read your treatise on mounted warfare in Middle Earth.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Likewise, it would make a great addition to the articles' section as well :) .
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Will try and get something written and up for the new year. Have been tempted to for a while, the only thing holding me off is that while I have lots of experience of using them back in the day, under the current rules I've only used them a couple of times.
Still very effective but have to be aware of certain things to watch out for, monster hurling chief among them
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I haven't used them a lot, really only in play-test or very short games, but from what I've seen that despite their point-cost you never ever straight-forward charge (As other people have said) and generally it's a good idea to never leave them unsupported either.

I find that using them as the hammer and a ranked-up block of footmen as an anvil works pretty well. Or as anti-cavalry, obviously.

Also be very, very careful if you use unarmored horses. It's tempting to get cheap mobile cavalry hefting those lovely lances but archers are desperate for kills and horses happen to be quite fleshy. Yes there's a 50% chance they'll hit your armored rider, but your heroic cavalry blob can be quickly whittled down to a couple of scouts in one shooting phase. Investing in armored horses is a very good idea, but even at their point-cost they should be used just as cautiously (IE, in a support role). I can speak from experience for this part (Noble knights of Gondor underestimated getting a broad-side from Halfling archers e_o)

But of course take all that with a pinch of salt as I never regularly use cavalry (Also please if any cav player sees I'm doing it wrong, I'd quite love to be corrected as I only have a general idea of how cavalry work!)

EDIT: I'd really love to read it as well, Captain! My Christmas dough is coming in and I've been eye-balling Perry's mounted Men-At-Arms for a Fiefdom themed Good army but I've got only a vague idea on how to use them.

Haradrim - 300