All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:24 am

Post subject: Flesh Colours?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sooo, another question from me.

I have been painting for a long while, but I've been quite a while away from LOTR painting and worse, my various paint collection items are showing their age. Things need replacing, almost at random as some pots dry, some run out and so on. The normal course of action would be to just get the same thing again, but as we all know, GW doesn't sell their old reliable paints anymore, instead selling all those new paints, my experience of which has been a bit random.

For a long time, I had a lot of success with a combination of vallejo model colour paints, using one of their cork browns as as wash and so on. Particularly good for grey-undercoated Mithrils. Then GW came out with their Flesh base colour and flesh wash, which was highly useful for batch painting large armies, not to mention painting D&D figures. (I keep mentioning that since D+D figures are a: really for playing with and b: are sort of supposed to look shiny and a bit, well, Warhammer ish. No subtle earthy tones here!).

Except now I am out of that, and out of my dark flesh and running low on my Vallejo flesh colours. Since I'll be painting LOTR figures for much of 2014, I would like to know what the best, easiest to use, flesh tones over black undercoating. The older GW flesh tones weren't great over black. How are the new ones.

Also, how does the Dark Flesh replacement fare? I got a lot of use from Dark Flesh for things such as leather...

Post subject: Re: Flesh Colours?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think the new Dark flesh (now called doombull brown) works well over black. I'm painting my Mahud king with it and I like how it looks

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There is a conversion chart on GW website that has conversions for all the old ppaints.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's not really the conversion I'm after, but how the paint actually works. As I have noticed, the new "dawnstone" grey is nothing like Codex Grey, which the chart implies is the same, in terms of coverage, flow and drying time.

I wonder, for example, if the new "base" flesh tone works similarly to the old one?