All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Did anyone notice Legolas 's face in DOS, it has changed shape since lotr, so the new mini looks more correct now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That's to be expected by an actor aging 12 years or so. I noticed it too and it's just weird to look at younger Legolas with an older face. His blue eyes also seemed more noticeable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Draugluin wrote:
That's to be expected by an actor aging 12 years or so. I noticed it too and it's just weird to look at younger Legolas with an older face. His blue eyes also seemed more noticeable.

No joke they were borderline creepy

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

http://images.fandango.com/images/fanda ... -final.jpg Brown
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... golask.jpg Green?
http://fondosdelsenordelosanillos.com/w ... egolas.jpg Blue
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... rkwood.jpg VERY blue.
At least his eye color is consistent in the Hobbit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

They were toned down at least from the trailers, where his eyes blazed with unholy blue light. I barely noticed it during the film itself.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This thread is veering off topic. If you want to continue discussing the colour of Legolas eyes from the movie then please post in the Film and Books forum chaps. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Was Thrain the Broken even in the film? I can't remember seeing him but we've got the model for him already

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No he wasn't. He was in the trailer though.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am sure PJ will put it into the extended dvd release, to make us all by it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I won't need any help whatsoever to 'make' me buy the Extended version, I'm desperate to see it already! I've only seen the film once so far (going to the IMAX for viewing 2 tomorrow!) but absolutely loved it, yes it was very different from the book but I think there's a strong argument that the Laketown/Bard/Smaug section was actually an improvement over the book, certainly in a cinematic sense.

My biggest disappointment was the lack of scenes that had been hinted at in all the trailers, particularly the Thrain confrontation (particularly given the awesome model). Surely it must have been before the ending of film 2 due to the nature of Gandalf's equipment in those shots. Hopefully it'll make it into the Extended cut. I must say the whole film felt like it was built for an extended cut, Beorn, Mirkwood and Thranduil's Halls all felt like they could have far more time devoted to them and I think we'll see quite a hefty Extended cut this November that's far closer to the LOTR 25/35 minute mark.

Slight film spoiler regarding the appearance of the Necromancer

Click to: Show
Seeing the film also explains why we haven't had a miniature/profile for the Necromancer, how would you possibly represent that rules-wise and how could you sculpt a miniature?

There's certainly room for a slightly smaller supplement later in the year although given GW's lack of year-round support for SBG I think it's unlikely. Smaug obviously needs a model/profile, as could Bain and Braga and there's certainly room for a few Laketown based scenarios based on the events of the film.

On the downside I've just realised that, sadly, the wait for a model to be able to cast Banishment must go on another year, one day I'll make those Ringwraiths suffer...

I've spent the last week prepping my DOS models and I thought people might be interested to know of their quality. I know there were some worries about the quality of the Finecast models a few pages back (missing noses etc.) but I got Tauriel, Thranduil and Beorn and they were all excellent; Tauriel's plastic so to be expected but both the Finecast casts were absolutely perfect (even the fiddly crown on Thranduil) and the models are gorgeous in the hand. I snapped a couple of pics, they're not the best as they're taken on my phone but hopefully they'll give you some idea of the quality, Thranduil in particular is absolutely stunning, the detail on the face is amazing and I can't wait to get started on him.

Beorn was a bit of a hassle to assemble as you have to glue both arms on so you have to be sure where the first one should be, glue it and then glue the other one on and hope it fits together around the axe. It took me a couple of tries but got there in the end.

The next White Dwarf is out January 4th BTW so a slightly longer wait for the next round of toys (5 weeks instead of 4). I'm hoping for Bear form Beorn and the Laketowners this month. We shall see!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ukfreddybear wrote:
This thread is veering off topic. If you want to continue discussing the colour of Legolas eyes from the movie then please post in the Film and Books forum chaps. 8)

Sorry about that. After 40 pages, I kinda forgot what this thread was about. :oops:

I'll finally be getting my book today so I'll finally have an actual opinion to contribute on the rules and stuff.

And I was going to buy the EE anyways. lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think any necromancer release is going to have to depend on what he does during the Siege. If he remains a Doom Cloud then he's probably best left as a scenario special rule or something.

I could see some burning representation of Sauron's form working, based on the movie, where his form is the pupil of the great eye, wreathed in fire. That'd be pretty close to what was depicted - but whether it'd be close enough is a matter for debate, I suppose.

It seems like the sort of thing that would be saved till a sourcebook or something, had this been LotR, being not 100% screen accurate, but based on the film non the less. I don't think anyone is expecting any post movie books, though. Which in itself is a shame, because armies like Dale could use the "in line with the film's design, but not actually from the film" style expansion, with heroes, cavalry, elites, etc.

At any rate, if none are produced I could see myself giving it a go on a Last Alliance Sauron. A bit of conversion to give him a different pose, maybe a more floaty form, and some fire details sculpted on. We do, after all, have a profile for the Necromancer already - it'd be nice to bring the model more in line with the film's vision.

I wonder if we might get a scenario pack with some modified profiles or something as a digital release? I'd hope not, but i could see it being an attractive option for them considering production and other costs associated with physical product are nearly nil.

Or maybe they'll just wait till movie 3 to give us what's missing.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awesome film. Loved it just got back from cinema now!
Can't rate it highly enough, although......
No thrain???? And that ending!!!! wtf devastated I gotta wait 12 months now!!!!
As far as in previous other threads and more enemy models go .... There aren't any really to come from dos other than bolg, spiders and hunter orcs we have.

Ps. Loved how fimbul meets his maker lol
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

One weird thought that occurred to me while watching the film: remember the weird release list of figures from last year, and how everyone dismissed it? And how one clue that it was fake was the presence of an "Elros" character.

There's a woodelf called Elros in the Halls of the Elven King :p

(I think the list was some sort of draft list accidentally leaked, which is why its so weird and somewhat apt, all at once)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

aelfwine wrote:
One weird thought that occurred to me while watching the film: remember the weird release list of figures from last year, and how everyone dismissed it? And how one clue that it was fake was the presence of an "Elros" character.

(I think the list was some sort of draft list accidentally leaked, which is why its so weird and somewhat apt, all at once)

Actually, I think some of the clues that the list was fake were models like Bofur on Cold-Drake, Turin the Dragonslayer, and Samwise with Red Book.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Until I saw it, I wouldn't have believed in the existence of Radagast riding a rabbit-pulled sled either...
Now, I just try to forget.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

aelfwine wrote:

Whilst it's very tempting to look at these things and try and draw some conclusions from the list I think it's pretty clear now that the list was a fake for many more reasons than the presence of Elros.

In the light of the two films there's just soooo many misses on the lists (Gimli/Sam/Turin/Werebeast/Willowhags/Bloodwriaths etc.) that I don't think there's any argument for it being real. As for the presence of Elros I think it's just likely that whoever faked the list looked at the cast list on IMDB and then made a best guess. This would explain why the list has correct film characters like Grinnah, Narzug, Lindir, Bain, Alfrid etc. that are completely out of their film context - Grinnah and Mirkwood Werewolves for example.

Here's the full list for reference, it's fun to think about it as an early pre-release list but I'm sure it's a cleverly put together fake.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/08 ... -spoilers/

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

After watching the film, I think the scenarios from the DoS book were probably all originally in the big hardback (except the 3 part battle) and that they are based on an earlier script as they don’t all seem to match too well with the final cut of the film.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That does seem to be probable.

It's weird though - I would've expected Laketown to not get a look in if that were the case. Or else they could rush out a couple of relevant scenarios/wait till movie 3 if at all. But the presence of the profiles, but with nothing to support them is strange, to me at least. It's almost enough to start me off worrying again. Not quite, though. The minis and profiles are the key to it, not the scenarios (I'm sure we can come up with suitable ones easy enough...).

What are we all suspecting next month? Laketown? Orcs? Bear? We've got, what, about two, maybe three months worth of releases until we're all spent, by my reckoning - unless GW really, really stretch things out, or pull a Dale on us out of nowhere (though I don't know what could qualify beyond some new Hero sculpts: I could see a new Company, possibly, and new versions of Legolas and Tauriel to match the second half of the film, Bolg... But that's very long term, I'm thinking along the lines of the wait till Azog was released for AuJ).

Next month I'd really like it to be the Gundabad Orcs. Primarily because I'll only need a couple of boxes and the captains, which can let me spend my money on buffing LotR collections (all at 500 now, aiming for 750 each by summer), or get cracking on the big Dale conversions master plan I've got. If it's Laketown then I'll be all in on another army. :D

Speaking of which, finished my Mirkwood army. Amazing how quickly 750 points comes along when your base troops cost 14 points a piece, and your captains are barely cheaper than named heroes.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm most definitely getting a Lake-Town army. Bard, the Master, Alfrid and 3 full warbands is just about 400 pts. 39 models, 12 bows and 1-3 great bow shots for that little is nothing to sniff at.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 51  Next