All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:25 pm

Post subject: Oddeh's WIP - (29/12) Basing - Need Advice! (Pic Heavy)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello!

I've just registered to the forum after a few weeks of lurking, and thought i'd start a WIP log after gorging myself on everyone else's. I've been out of the hobby for a few years after collecting when the original films were released. So now i'm back onboard with a hefty collection of models to get through that were either left unpainted, or done to a terrible standard!

Full disclaimer, I am not a great painter. Although i've come a long way from before, and am still picking things up, I rely heavily on the old 'liquid talent' to get to a tabletop standard. What I do love, however, are conversions and terrain building, so i'll be sure to post some WIP's of those as I tackle them.

I'll start off the log with two projects I finished a few days ago (unfortunately no in-progress pics of these ones);

First off are my converted Dead Marsh Spectres. I used some spare Warriors of the Last Alliance figures that i'm not likely to use and some old zombie-bits from a plastic kit to make them.

I took my hobby knife to the cloth, capes and other fabric areas of the models to give it a rotting marsh-eaten look as the official GW models have. Then I primed and painted them as normal, adding a heavily watered down cyan-coloured wash all over for the glowy army of the dead-esque look.

I feel they fit in thematically as conversions, as the dead marsh spectres are known to be primarily the elves and numenorians who fell on the battlefield against Sauron.

Next up is my Magnetised Troll. I hated the idea of spending such a huge chunk of money on the troll kit, to only be able to use it as one kind of troll. After all, I have models from almost every army so I didn't want to be limited.

ImageImage

I cut and drilled small holes into each of the arm pieces and the torso, super gluing small magnets flush into them. Note to anyone attempting this, make sure you triple check the polarity of each magnet, as it'll save you a lot of frustration! For the armour I glued another magnet into the centre of the harness, which actually looks fine even without armour on. I also painted up the severed head pieces that come with the kit to plug the drum holes if using the gladiatorial armour piece, or none at all.

Above is the Mordor variant, and below is the same model with the Drummer and Isengard pieces.

ImageImage

Unfortunately the drummer arms leave a small gap, but I feel that is the one i'll use the least so I shall leave it as is for now.

Finally here is a shot of all the individual pieces.

That's all I have for now, but i'll hopefully add some progress shots of my current projects soon. C&C is always appreciated. Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by Oddeh on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Oddeh's WIP - (16/12) Spectres & Magnet Troll (Pic Heavy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to The One Ring.
Firstly may I say you painting standard is very good, you have a great style that I like.
The conversions are first class. I haven't seen anybody do the spectres before and having seen yours i do not envisage many doing a better job.
My only concern to raise is the gaps on the trolls. You have painted a fantastic figure but to be honest, let it down by not tackling the joins first.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks very much for the kind words Gandlaf. I totally agree with your point on the arms/joins. Looking back at the photos again now, I think it really does need some work. Would you have any recommendations on patching it up? I have some Green Stuff on order that would perhaps do the job?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Green stuff will do the trick just fine. If you haven't used it before, when you have filled and smoothed the joint, paint some water over it to assist in smoothing it further.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great job on the Spectre's, very impressive as is the Troll. The gaps aren't ideal but once on the table they shouldn't be too unsightly.

Oh and welcome :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah- really great idea magnetising the troll like that. Makes him so versatile. I wouldn't want to have your job trying to seal those gaps but leave him magnetised the way he is though- tricky business!

I think you'll have to sacrifice poseablility (sic), so that there's only one right way to pose the miniature.

Spectres= wonderful work. Really great idea which i will, in time, be stealing!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The spectres' poses and paint are very, very nice.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Magnetized arms are a good idea. Welcome 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the warm welcome and C&C everyone! Greatly appreciated.

Thought i'd update with a few of my current projects. Unfortunately I have a tendency to drift from project to project, so i'm forcing myself to try and get one single army finished, rather than a few bits from several. I thought i'd start with Isengard, as I have a lot of them ready to go, and I find painting Uruks fairly easy to batch.

I was lucky enough to find an absolute bargain on eBay for some Metal Berserkers that I just had to snatch up. They did require stripping and de-basing, but it was worth it.

As you can see, i've only finished the front two so far, but the rest have been primed and drybrushed. I'll be sure to post more angles/shots once they are finished and based.

Next up are my crossbow conversions. I am arguably a 'cheap' gamer. I didn't like the idea of spending a fortune on 2-3 packs of crossbowmen, so I made my own. I had a lot of spare pikemen (from the old BGiME magazines I believe), that I thought would work well. I clipped out the pikes and attached some 28mm crossbows I ordered (about 20 for £2.50). I then shaved off the helmet guards, to keep them in-line with the GW models. I think they turned out quite well, despite the lack of varied poses. I even did an arm swap on the back right one, to which I will be adding a bolt in the right hand to show him reloading. As before, only the front three are painted, and i'll add more shots when they are all done.

Finally i'm starting work on some more terrain pieces. Here is just a basic rocky outcrop i've started. I grabbed a chunk of polystyrene in a jagged shape, and covered it with polyfilla. Once dry, i'll prime and paint it once I grab some craft paint. I have a lot of scatter and foliage bits that i'll add at that stage also.

ImageImage

As ever, C&C is always welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Those crossbowmen look every bit as cool as the actual versions. Might I ask where you ordered the accessories from? I'm a kitbasher myself when able and love resources.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gilcris wrote:
Those crossbowmen look every bit as cool as the actual versions. Might I ask where you ordered the accessories from? I'm a kitbasher myself when able and love resources.

Thanks very much! Here is the link to the crossbow bits. Very good value, enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Oddeh's WIP - (18/12) X-bow Conversions & 'Zerks (Pic He
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Simple but effective conversions with the crossbows 8)

Post subject: Re: Oddeh's WIP - (18/12) X-bow Conversions & 'Zerks (Pic He
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Apologies it's been so long since the last update. I have, however, been a busy chap! I've completed a shed-load of painting, but they are currently all waiting patiently to be based. I'll wait until that is done with before I show you all some pics, as it should make them look much better.

First off is some more terrain that I finished. I am a primarily Evil player, but I do have a large number of Rohan and Gondor troops/heroes (just need some Elites!) to face up against from time to time. This led me to make some Rohirim themed pieces. I wanted to build an edoras-style settlement, so I thought some buildings would be a good start. Nothing fancy, just a standard farming hovel.

I'm very pleased with how it looks. I used foamboard covered in coffee stirrers for all the walls, and a piece of organic scouring pad I raided for the hay roof. The windows are made from some plastic kitchen lattice stuff (unsure of it's actual purpose), and the doorknob is a bent piece of paper clip.

As you can see, I wanted the roof to be removable to allow models to garrison themselves inside. This came after an exciting game I played where I was using some WH-Fantasy Castle Towers as terrain pieces. We decided to play them with the building/siege rules, so my opponent decided to hole-up some troops inside, with rangers on the top. It was great fun trying to storm inside, but realised it was difficult to play out a battle in the tower which is technically off-board. This interior was quite simple to do (polyfilla walls, and stirrer floor), so it should add a cool tactical element when used.

I plan on building more of these for the settlement, so i'll do a true step-by-step WIP for them incase anyone else wants to make similar ones. Also hoping to add a crop-field and some palisades after.

I got a nice haul of christmas goodies to get on with over the next week too, which I am very much looking forward to using!

Expect to see some WIP shots of these bad boys soon, and possibly some battle reports as I play through the scenarios!

Finally, I was very eager to use the new paints and washes from the goblin kit, so I test painted one of the goblins to see how it'd turn out.

I'm not sure if the photo does it justice, but i'm very pleased with the result. These goblins may be some of my best models so far. I went for bone-themed weaponry rather than metal as I feel it suits their feral nature better. I also wanted to keep them in a similar scheme to the movies, but more 'dirty' as that suits my painting style anyway.

As always, C&C is warmly welcomed!

Post subject: Re: Oddeh's WIP - (27/12) Rohan Hovel & Test Goblin (Pic Hea
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the forum; the hovel is so nice and your description makes it seem easy to build.
The paint-jobs on the goblin and converted Dead Marsh Specters are equally impressive; I do have a piece of criticism for the latter: some of the dead elf poses look unnatural. Yet again they are zombies so who knows haha.

I can't wait to see a fully fledged Rohan settlement/Edoras.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Once again, lovely work. I like the leaded windows, nice touch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I love what you've done with the troll, really inspiring. The other stuff is all looking fantastic too! Very well done!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Did you paint that goblin with paints just from the boxset? If so I may have to try that. I really like the look of yours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the comments everyone. Really helps motivate me!

@Constantine - I know what you mean in regards to the poses. It's an unfortunate downside of all the last alliance figures having just one model pose! I would like to look into finding other zombie kits, or perhaps using some of the elf bowmen poses to make some more variety. Might be a while though, as I doubt i'll be using more than six in any games.

@ukfreddybear - I did indeed. I'm glad you like the look of them! If anyone wants to use a similar style I did the following;

Prime in Rakarth Flesh (May need 2 coats in areas)
    Wash with Carroburg Crimson
    Once dry, wash over again with Seraphim Sepia
    Drybrush/Highlight with Pallid Wych Flesh
    Paint hair with Stormvermin Fur
    Paint Cloth with Steel Legion Drab
    Paint Satchels/Weapon hilts with Gorthor Brown
    Paint Weapons with Pallid Wych Flesh
    Wash the details with Strong Tone Ink (Devlan Mud works too)
    Detail the eyes/teeth/claws with Palid Wych Flesh

Those all come with the paint kit, apart from Gorthor Brown and the final Ink/Devlan, but you can easily just use any brown. I'm sure others can do much better, but that is a very fast way of painting them en mass.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Cheers matey. 8)