-8 High elves with shield 80
Warband 4 (130)
-Thranduil 90
-1 Wood elf with banner 32
-1 Wood elf with elven blade 8

Total Points:750
Total Might:15
Models: 37
Bow armed models: 12 (heroes do not count towards this)

What do you think about this? Looks like a solid army though it is certain to be outnumbered. With spears, pikes, a banner and 3 tough close combat heroes it can hold pretty well hordes of orcs and uruks. As usual, elves are pretty nasty with their bow, especially when combined with Legolas and Thranduil. 15 Might points are more than enough to set the things the way you like, imho, by calling heroic moves and heroic combats. Last but not least, one must not underestimate Thranduil’s Circlet of the Kings, for, having the ability to cause terror for a move phase can be proven pretty useful in the way fights are resolved, as well as a free Nature’s Wrath (count as casted on 4? on 6? Can it be resisted at all? It remains to be cleared out, I think), can waste some of those Ringwraith’s will instead of losing its fellbeast.
So… Any recommendations? I am open to critics of any kind :)
Thanks in advance.
 Post subject: Re: 750 points Elves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm not sure if archers can have spears as well as bows...that seems like it'd defeat the purpose because they are supposed to be inferior in hand to hand combat (hence the -1 penelty in combat).
Nonetheless, my advice would be to USE MORE ARCHERS! They're the best in the game, and if you use wood elves you can upgrade them with thranduril and then they'll barely ever miss. Try putting them into your regular formation and add Ciron, he can cast blinding light which will basically negate any enemy archer fire in his area. When the enemy units/line approach just swing your archer to the side and then they'll have your phalanx to deal with.

Maybe try getting rid of legolas and putting in ciron leading some archers, thranduril with another warband of achers (maybe only 6 to balance out the 33% rule) and instead of elladan and elrohir just use captains to save the points and get more miniatures. Elven captains are ridiculous as it is. Try to squeeze the rest of the army in so you have a phlanax of 3 rows of at least 8-10 warriors...i don't think the banner is that essential to your army either. The points would be better spent on additional warrios.

-pownrwhopowns
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Unfortunately it's not a legal list. Each contingent has its own bow limit, so your Mirkwood/Lothlorien contingent has too many bows (about 1/2), whereas your high elves have none. You can only have 1/3rd bows in each contingent, and heroes are excluded from this count.

You can certainly give your bowmen some spears, lots of people do, you just can't support and shoot in the same turn. I don't know where pownrwhopowns got the idea about the -1 to combat, the bowmen don't suffer from this rule. Is that an old Return of the King rule?

On the whole I'd say this army is kind of hero-heavy. Thranduil with a full war band along with some Galadhrim Knights might give you better numbers.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

so archers are completley nomral in combat? I always thought they suffered the same penelty as a banner when it fights
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:35 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nope, completely normal.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

First of all, I'd like to thank you both :P
The thing about bow limit in every contingent is true and as you have seen I completely forgot about it...
OK it will be fixed of course. Speaking about captains, I find no real use for them in an elven army because of their high cost and their slight point difference when combined with named heroes (Rumil for instance).
Using more archers can be risky,because nowadays Shadowlords are oftenly being chosen by "horde Mordor" players(in my country at least). About Cirdan, personally I think that he is not at all worthy for his 90 points just 4 will and 2 auras and a blinding light are ok for some support but I don't think thata bunch of orc or haradrim archers can outfire elves especially when hidden behind D6 warriors (although uruks can be hard in crossbow fire...).It is indeed a hero heavy list and also I am not really fond of Thranuil and Legolas... I have the option of ussing 10 galadhrim knights and the twins mounted but it will be really expensive... (around 340 pts...). So, shall I try focusing in Lothlorien/Mirkwood and somehow manage to form 4 full warbands ( I can drop the banner too as you've suggested), shall i use some throwing daggers? I've never seen the stormcallers making a difference in sbg yet, can they be proven useful?
Thanks again :)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think that'd be a nice themed army, and I love to see people make good use of wood elves. What i meant about the archers is though, it's easy to kill wood elves especially with bows so you might want tot hink about cirdan if you decide to use them. Keep the phlanax though, and maybe exchange the archers and the archer heros for the galadrium knights with other mounted heros.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sakis94 wrote:
Using more archers can be risky,because nowadays Shadowlords are oftenly being chosen by "horde Mordor" players(in my country at least).

The past several UKGTs had 7-8 Shadow Lords in top 10 armies (since 2009 every time around that number) and yet Wood Elves were the most dominant good force, all maxing out on bowmen. DO NOT underestimate elven bows, especially when you've taken Legolas who will often be a pain to Shadow Lord because of his autohit.

Overall I feel the army is a bit weak due to its small numbers. Yes, heroes are great, but if your opponent outnumbers you 2:1 and has a wraith or 2, then you're done. Where are you from btw?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You realize the post you're responding to is almost 2 years old... :)