All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:34 am

Post subject: New Mirkwood, 500 points...thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I received some of the new elven models for Christmas :D and this got me thinking of a possible 500 point list that would be easy to field with a few boxes of the new soldiers.
Having said that, do you guys think that this list could be viable?

Warband 1
-Thranduil w/armour,bow
-palace guard w/ spear,shield x2
-palace guard w/spear x4
-palace guard w/shield x4
Total: 242

Warband 2
-Tauriel
-mirkwood rangers x12 (using 2 sentinels as proxies)
Total: 258

So: 6 might, 12 bows+2, 6 spears, 6shielding models, 24 models total, break at 12.

Fairly easy to get together with the models I have+some of the new boxes.
To make it to a 700pt list I was thinking of adding 5 Rivendell knights+ a cpt. For a hobbit movie themed elf list.

Anyway, Thranduil is there for his usual awesomeness plus the bonus to the guards. Tauriel is there because her combat beastyness will be needed sooner or later and I couldnt find the extra 15 points for me to justify legolas (I find he's only useful with armour and cloak added, otherwise he dies to fast).

I don't know how well it would preform but I like it for what it is. Thoughts?

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
 Post subject: Re: New Mirkwood, 500 points...thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I do like how easy it is to field a Mirkwood army using just 2 boxes :D I have had the same idea myself using basically the exact list you have. The only difference I have is I prefer the palace guard with spears to get all of the shields as I rate their usefulness more but that's personal preference.

I also agree that Tauriel might have more of a place in this army as fielding her over Legolas means you're probably getting one or two more troops and a combat hero. This will be needed in games when the rangers deploy far away from the guards and will be in combat quickly. Having said that Tauriel is an unknown quantity currently as I am sure some players haven't had too many games with her whereas Legolas is tried and tested.

Considering the points cost of the models there is limited options in terms of the list. The most important thing for me is how to use a 24 model army which is elite but fragile. At 500 points other armies are looking at 3 full warbands. Tactics is the most important thing with this army and I would be interested in what some of the more experienced players thoughts are in playing such a list in terms of strategy :)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

One of my mates runs Palace guard captain leading palace guard with shield and Thranduil leading basic wood elves with spear for support, cheap spears. Also, I would pick Legolas over Tauriel any day of the week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Why legolas so much? I always hear great things of him from others, but I myself have never had great success with him. I understand the concept of using him for anti wraiths. But at 500pts I don't think I will be fighting many unless it's a budget one...

Having said that you got me thinking. At 700pts I could add legolas+12wood elves with various equipment...that could work.... But that's a whole other ball game, and usually I end up playing 500pt games anyway...

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Legolas is nice for shooting although Tauriel for the points she is a way better figher in which I think melee is more important than shooting nowadays and she comes with her non limited amount of extra attacks per model fighting her over the 1st along with the already equipped elven cloak.
I beleive thranduil´s bow was merely to fill up the last points I suppose.

If you really wanted themed army, mirkwood elves in general dont use rivendell knights, they are far 2 well armoured for that purpose, I would field galadhrim knights being slightly lighter and keeps as themed as possible.

Still you might want to consider other options, legolas by one is a nice option for 700pts, palace guard can get pretty nasty with thranduil around, making him able to match a mordor troll just by random fight (which is more than secure you can match monsters calling out heroic fights, also of the few that can fight more of so matching azog or bolg)

You also have the mirkwood ranger´s captain, he not as good as Tauriel, but none says hes the worst, he quite deadly really since you randomly put him to fight 2/3 models in a row its fairly easy for him to get 3 to 4A at fight6 S4

If you want a bit more numbers lets say, why not ally with lake town or dale? both offer decent and very cheap option of models.
I wouldnt say for you get alfred for meta game thing, but something like bard for example and a 10 warriors of dale with 1point gear on each (5x5 shield and spears for example or 5x5 shield and bows)

OR if you wanna place to get to 700 just beorn, thats possible and really hard character to kill...