All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GW won't release plastic boxes of 6. It'll be 10 or FC packs of 3 with the latter being more likely. Shame, I was hoping for pike support for my hunter orcs.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dark Istari wrote:
The Arkenstone wrote:
This is really disappointing as I hate finecast (because of the cheapness of the material). Still, I will likely pick up a pack or two of these Laketown Guard at some point and supplement them with some converted Warriors of Dale.

I really hope the Gundabad Orcs are in plastic as I had big plans for them including converting several sets to be used in other capacities.

Bard and Master of Laketown look nice.

I'm very concerned for the future of this game (near term and long term).
:(

I would probably buy at least 4-5 boxes of plastic Gundabad Orcs.

I agree I don't think it was a particularly good move by GW. Would rather have the set of 10 in a box. I guess it makes them stand out from the Warriors of Dale though.

If the Gundabad orcs are not in plastic then that will be a huge error on GW part. For evil collectors the Gundabad Orcs would have been most anticipated from the film. Unfortunately there are only a limited number of poses visible in pictures so it looks like they could be Finecast. How can they expect us to build an army of these if they are all in Finecast packs of 3? I certainly don't want to spend that much money when there are still other miniatures to collect. It is a shame as they look like great models. Unless they plan to release plastic Gundabads for film 3? Fingers crossed for plastics now though!

When you say you are concerned is that because of the direction they are taking the game with Finecast molds etc?

Just that it's apparent GW is doing as little as possible to support the game. And the huge amount of models released in Finecast thus far is very discouraging. I really love working in plastic because of the ease of conversions and well as the durability of the material. Everything Finecast isn't.

As I said above, I was really looking forward to Gundabad Orcs in plastic and had planned to convert them in a variety of ways for use in other warbands. Here's to hoping they will be in plastic... 8)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
This is always a good site to look on

http://investor.games-workshop.com/

Had a quick read, sales and profits are up.

Where on that website can I see the statistics for the Hobbit/LOTR?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just a thought, but maybe the finecast blisters don't definitively mean that there is not also a plastic box of 10.

To explain, months ago I was talking to a friend who works for GW's customer service hotline and he told me that they actually receive quite a few customer concerns (Read: COMPLAINTS See Also: ANGER, IRE) that "the plastic boxes don't allow for enough customization of models; a lot of models feel like a waste to a gamer that wants his troops outfitted one way while the sprue comes with models primarily outfitted another way."

It would actually be incredibly cool (best of both worldsy cool) if plastic boxes of 10 were still released, then these small blisters of specifically-equipped guys were available for more economical topping off of warbands.

*fingers crossed*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gilcris wrote:
Just a thought, but maybe the finecast blisters don't definitively mean that there is not also a plastic box of 10.

To explain, months ago I was talking to a friend who works for GW's customer service hotline and he told me that they actually receive quite a few customer concerns (Read: COMPLAINTS See Also: ANGER, IRE) that "the plastic boxes don't allow for enough customization of models; a lot of models feel like a waste to a gamer that wants his troops outfitted one way while the sprue comes with models primarily outfitted another way."

It would actually be incredibly cool (best of both worldsy cool) if plastic boxes of 10 were still released, then these small blisters of specifically-equipped guys were available for more economical topping off of warbands.

*fingers crossed*

Now THAT is something I could get behind! I hope your optimism proves correct lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Not long to go until we see officially the new releases, midnight i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am trying to remain on the positive side. I know that there is not a single "Guard" troop type in the entire game that has come in plastic, Khazad, Iron, Galadhrim, Fountain, Citidel, Black, Castellan, Serpent, Abrakan, Royal Rohan, all Guards have always been Blister release and expected to be small numbers not an army. Until the palace guard for Mirkwood, but elves are proven sale (or this could be a side by side test of sales direction for future releases).

Please, everyone can hate the prices of Laketown Guard, unfortunately blister clams are now finecast expensive instead of metal (expensive compared to plastic back in the day), but do not mistake them for a Laketown army, nor should you give up on a Bard Lead laketown army in Plastic for the next film. Since Bard does lead his people back to rebuild Dale later, I would think that anyone who wanted to should use the plastic Dale warriors, Lake Town Guard, and Bard to make a force until they release the plastics next year for you.

Last edited by Sithious on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I know GW and I know they are clever... perhaps release the finecast ones first in low quantities. We all buy them and then 2 months time, release in plastic and we ... still buy them because we are like that

haha, oh the droll jokes we play on ourselves.

Edited by moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi all, I don't have time to review and edit all posts for GW-whining content, so after this I'm just going to start deleting, even if it's just a one-liner in an otherwise normal or even awesome post.

Thank you for your cooperation.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

army of laketown > 500pts

master, alfred, 3 captains + 10 warriors each warband with 1pt gear will cost 397 pounds (475€) of this gorgeous army for its a huge investment. (im not whinning) just helping out those who want to build 1 how much they need to start saving.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
army of laketown > 500pts

master, alfred, 3 captains + 10 warriors each warband with 1pt gear will cost 397 pounds (475€) of this gorgeous army for its a huge investment. (im not whinning) just helping out those who want to build 1 how much they need to start saving.

Interestingly, that number is mitigated a bit by the fact that the Master has a higher points to currency ratio than Laketown Guard.

You see, in U$D, The Master is roughly a 2-1 points to dollar ratio, whereas Laketown Guard are basically a 1-2 point to dollars ratio. I'm actually really positive about this, though.

Why I Feel Positive and Not Negative About This:
The books and film have taught me that if I horde my money, a dragon will destroy my next door neighbor and take my house for his own. So GW has basically saved me and my next door neighbor (whose son is hilariously-enough for this analogy, actually named Dale) from my hording tendencies.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good thinking Gilcris, don't let dragon-sickness get you! :lol:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It is that region of pricing where you want a great model and I think with the mirkwood rangers we have THAT model. I originally paid £7.20 for 3 sentinels who look no where near as good as these guys.

Here is me hoping for more.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:00 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The preorders are up on the website.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks like Bard has got a pretty big forehead..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:26 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

turwaitheon wrote:
Looks like Bard has got a pretty big forehead..

Yeah but so does Luke Evans the actor who plays him so I can live with that. He's a country mile the best sculpt there in my opinion!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, maybe I was a bit wrong. I searched up some pics and I agree, I can live with it to. The sculpt is pretty awesome, it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Actually, whoever painted the Bard model for them failed to paint eyebrows. You can get away with omitting them on blond minis sometimes; but when you omit them on a dark-haired one it makes them look quite odd and/or their foreheads to look unnaturally tall. I guarantee if someone took the time to draw two dark brown/black lines, it would look just fine.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Too bad the Laketown guard sculpts are actually cool beans.
I would advice/suggest a boycott on them to show GW our reaction however.

Also the guard with swordsman to the left has a serious case of derp eyes hehe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So...I expressed my thoughts on how stressful I find it that we have too many multiple Gandalf miniatures (just for the hobbit release alone) a few months back....part of me thinks that GWS specifically released a new one to irritate me...

They should have given us Beorn as a Bear...or an Orc commander etc. instead! Waste of bloody molds!

....But bar that I think the new releases are pretty awesome...Keep them coming!!

:boromir

My WIP - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28272
The Red Book of Westmarch
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next