All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:43 pm

Post subject: January Releases!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great well sculpted miniatures, but in Wormcast (ugh) and £5.00 a pop for very mediocre troops! If they were 12 for a boxed set in plastic I would still feel that they were over priced, but would have been tempted and bought a lake town force of about 500 points.

I resent having to pay top dollar for "worm cast" heroes that always require fixing, but frankly draw the line here.

Out of interest has anyone actually bought any at this price?
 Post subject: Re: New Releases!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'll be buying Gandalf, but I'm more of a collector than gamer.

I was hoping for plastics like the Legolas and Tauriel releases though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bilbo wrote:
I resent having to pay top dollar for "worm cast" heroes that always require fixing, but frankly draw the line here.

The Hobbit finecast models don't need fixing, they are casted perfectly. Also the lotr ones I ordered only have minor problems.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have just seen the Gandalf, absolutely brilliant sculpt and probably one, if not the best pose for him. A definite purchase with so many diorama options. He could be a good addition to my Bag End.
The other figures are again brilliant. The master of lake town is fantastic but the is something about painting Stephen Fry that is a little odd !!! I can only see General Melchet...

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject: Re: January Releases!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've ordered Alfrid, The Master of Lake-Town and Bard. All the Hobbit Finecast minis I've bought have been good so far, and I believe it's improved since Lotr Finecast. I was going to get Gandalf, but maybe next month.

I thought they were phasing out Finecast though? But then, they bring out a clamp pack of three core troops for £15?! I think they're stretching themselves out a bit too thin. I'd doubt many people would buy these, yet, they are highly detailed minis. Maybe Finecast was an option only for the detail.

Anyway, next month I may pick up some bowmen for myself. They are cool looking. I'm still waiting for Thorin's Company in Finecast :x

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Christmas money just passed to GW :-)

Sadness of no plastics passed, acceptance set in, can't wait until next Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would quite like to get bard, i guess there would be another one as there is a different one in the book. I was looking for that Gandalf pose and now i realize it is the one they teach you how to paint in the DOS book. Does anyone else know why they are £12 instead of the £15 the other heroes cost?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Not this month, sadly. I've got a tremendous backlog of metals to work through.

But I do plan on getting at least 18 of the Guards, to be led by Bard (6 bows) the master and alfrid (12 spears). That ought to suffice for an immediate purchase, and when allied with Beorn, dale, elves, etc would be a decent points worth of troops.

I could see myself adding a pack or two further down the road, from time to time, on those rare days when I've got more money than things I immediately want (and sense), and don't have any of my other collections to set aside funds for (this month I'm catching up on Masterpiece Class and Third Party Transformers for the toy shelf).

It's an expensive set of hobbies, but I figure they're more worthwhile investments than takeouts or videogames (which is where I'd otherwise spend my spare cash). It helps that the best games of the past couple of years have been almost exclusively sub-£20 indie titles. More money to spend on stupid things like finecast Lakemen and semi-legal IP infringing expensive toys. ;)

DwarfWarrior - the finecast single characters tend to be about £12 (captains about £10). The plastic characters are more expensive, and so are much larger single heroes like Beorn and oldbolg.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Some nice sculpts but not so entranced by the prices.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
Some nice sculpts but not so entranced by the prices.

I agree, the Laketown Gaurd look lovely, I guess we've gotta hope they've had these blisters ready since before the film was split and have no choice to release them. It seems like the only explanation for FC troops at this point.

OERP
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all, this is my post on this friendly forum and I have a question which I feel is quite important (in terms of finecast quality).
I have a Lotr Elven force (collecting for quite a few years, i'm 14) which includes all three factions and must be worth about 500pts-750 and want to buy the latest elrond clamp-pack and the thranduil (I've recently bought the Palace guard and knights of rivendell) and want some verification on whether I should part with some of my dough!

I hope to hear from you soon!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

TheSilentRanger wrote:
Hi all, this is my post on this friendly forum and I have a question which I feel is quite important (in terms of finecast quality).
I have a Lotr Elven force (collecting for quite a few years, i'm 14) which includes all three factions and must be worth about 500pts-750 and want to buy the latest elrond clamp-pack and the thranduil (I've recently bought the Palace guard and knights of rivendell) and want some verification on whether I should part with some of my dough!

I hope to hear from you soon!

Thranduil is beautiful, well worth every penny, a joy to paint and great on the tabletop. Essential if you have palace guards, too - since they're more powerful with him around.

As for the Elrond, I don't have him myself, but plan to get him once I've finished with the LotR metal minis I've got on backlog. He'd definitely look awesome at the head of his knights.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Creaky wrote:
DwarfWarrior - the finecast single characters tend to be about £12 (captains about £10). The plastic characters are more expensive, and so are much larger single heroes like Beorn and oldbolg.

Oldbolg?! You mean awesome mega hyper ultra super Bolg! :-X
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The new characters are cool looking, but I honestly dont like boring poses without weaponry or at least objects like staffs...

Laketown troops are wonderfull made, but to be honest, I think they look goofy. The MOLDS are great, but their idea and costume are goofy to me.

Even if I wanted to play them, lol, one warband costs $100......

GW is nuts.

I might eventually pick up Bard though. Ill like one of his models, and this one is better than the first.

Last edited by LordoftheBrownRing on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Makes me want to try fine cast for the first time. Would love to see a review of bard and gandalf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't need another Gandalf. I find the Bard sculpt to be not too impressive, but not bad either, just mediocre. The Master of Laketown and the Captain look like good sculpts. I won't even bother with Alfred. The dissapointment is the Laketown men being Finecast and not a box set though the models look great I wouldn't buy them until I win the lottery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Why on earth weren't the laketown soldiers done as a plastic box? That would have been a nice kit. At £5 each, though, they're painfully pricey to build a warband out of.

I like Bard a lot, I'll be putting that mini on my wishlist. Love the fur detailing on the sleeves and lining of his coat.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I gotta say, at $200 for a warband, my hopes for a Laketown horde have thoroughly evaporated. I sure hope the Gundabad Orcs don't share the same fate.

Although, as many others have pointed out, the new heroes are fantastic. Bard, Gandalf and the Master are all great sculpts, and so are the LT Captain and Alfrid.

Perhaps my monies are better spent on Dale proxies or a Mirkwood force.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thranduil is beautiful, well worth every penny, a joy to paint and great on the tabletop. Essential if you have palace guards, too - since they're more powerful with him around.

As for the Elrond, I don't have him myself, but plan to get him once I've finished with the LotR metal minis I've got on backlog. He'd definitely look awesome at the head of his knights.[/quote]

Thanks fro the info, the only thing that makes me nervous about buying them is the reputation and the fact that there will be a possibility of bent swords/ spears etc.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah for 14 year olds :-D