All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The December Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The laketown scenery certainly has the look of a kit, there's a lack of obvious balsa wood and homemade ropes from bits of string, etc - but I'm cautious about raising my hopes too much for something that seems unessential to the releases. I suppose if it did come out it'd establish something of a tradition for each Hobbit film to have a scenery kit. Dol Guldur for movie 3? :D

If it were a kit, and not just some absurdly well made studio made sets, then I'd definitely pick up several, they'd go lovely on my dreadfleet mat. Much more interesting than Goblin town, IMO. Perhaps it could come out alongside a laketown supplement with some scenarios from the movie. They managed to turn Goblin Town into three scenarios - so I'm fairly sure they could churn out a scenario or two with Bard vs guards, then multiple Orc scenarios. Possibly some sort of dragon encounter, if they go there?

One thing did just occur to me - GW aren't in the habit of giving us Hobbit/LotR Battle Reports (or articles of any sort, really). I struggle to see the studio team (no doubt mostly committed to producing large amounts of 40K and fantasy terrain) going and producing Laketown buildings that will never be seen except in the back of a few photos. I just don't think Hobbit warrants the time, and effort (of which there was obviously a lot). Possible good sign?

EDIT: Pause at 25 seconds into the video, and there appears to be a mold line in the top right corner.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Creaky wrote:
The laketown scenery certainly has the look of a kit, there's a lack of obvious balsa wood and homemade ropes from bits of string, etc - but I'm cautious about raising my hopes too much for something that seems unessential to the releases. I suppose if it did come out it'd establish something of a tradition for each Hobbit film to have a scenery kit. Dol Guldur for movie 3? :D

If it were a kit, and not just some absurdly well made studio made sets, then I'd definitely pick up several, they'd go lovely on my dreadfleet mat. Much more interesting than Goblin town, IMO. Perhaps it could come out alongside a laketown supplement with some scenarios from the movie. They managed to turn Goblin Town into three scenarios - so I'm fairly sure they could churn out a scenario or two with Bard vs guards, then multiple Orc scenarios. Possibly some sort of dragon encounter, if they go there?

One thing did just occur to me - GW aren't in the habit of giving us Hobbit/LotR Battle Reports (or articles of any sort, really). I struggle to see the studio team (no doubt mostly committed to producing large amounts of 40K and fantasy terrain) going and producing Laketown buildings that will never be seen except in the back of a few photos. I just don't think Hobbit warrants the time, and effort (of which there was obviously a lot). Possible good sign?

EDIT: Pause at 25 seconds into the video, and there appears to be a mold line in the top right corner.

Excellent points you make. I agree it seems very unlikely that the studio would make a bunch of scenery just to appear in a video or book. It's hard to tell if that is a mold line or not, but it looks to me that the edges of the dock where they show the Master Of Laketown have a mold line through the middle of the edge.

If this is indeed a modular set, it would have many uses. I was already thinking it could be used as the basis for a Bree setup (less the docks).

Seems like another DoS scenario book for the second half of the film should be forthcoming covering Laketown and the adventure into Erebor. Whether we get a Smaug model or not doesn't really matter to me as I likely couldn't afford it or find a place to store such a beast!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php?se ... haus&pos=3

I do not know what GW is doing for Lake Town the above link is a good value

Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Socrates wrote:
I think people who are living in fear of GW losing interest for any further investment in The Hobbit SBG should consider the earlier mentioned 'last minute' split of the initial planned two movies into a trilogy.

The first movie releases would probably consist of almost everything that has been released until today. Anyway when you take a look at this list, that would have been a pretty impressive release. That is, with exception of the Laketown related stuff. These would most likely be among the first releases of the second wave (movie).

As the scenario's make clear the Barrel Escape scenes would have formed the end of the first movie. This places all lake town/smaug/battle of the five armies & assault on Dol Guldur - stuff with the (initial-planned) second wave of releases. These miniatures, together with a possible Laketown scenery box (like the Goblin Town Box from An Unexpected Journey), also make for a major release.

So, while movie-wise the choice for making the Hobbit movies into a trilogy gave us another movie to look forward to, GW had to spread their releases over another year..

This may feel kind of 'thin', like butter spread over to much bread, but in fact can't be seen as a sign of any malcontent towards their SBG from GW.

Good post - lots of food for thought
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
Good post Dr.Grant
The has been a rumor around for a few months about a GW announcement in March. It may be good news for some.The rumor involves lower priced core kits. The bad news is 40K first. GW seems to have some investment to recover in Fine Cast. They will abandon it altogether for 40K and Warhammer new production. I do not know how much investment they have in Fine Cast already planned for the Hobbit. If you like the new models buy them. I do not think they will be around for very long.
Some of you mentioned a boycott. The decision has already been made for any kind of plastic release we will see in the near future. All that you will accomplish with a boycott is cheat your self out of a short run limited production model you may want. Fine Cast was a stopgap. It's days have always been numbered. I believe the decision to abandon it has been made. I am going to wait for them to dump the remaining models. We can debate snap-un-tight next year.It will be interesting to see if the new production decision was made in time to effect the new releases for Hobbit III :?

Where did you hear this rumor? From contacting Games Workshop myself about the prospect of certain models going OOP they replied saying that all sculpts for the Hobbit films will be coming out in either Finecast or Plastic. It will be a while yet before the Finecast products start disappearing from this range. The metals have been going slowly but the majority are still there. I just imagine these models will all just go when they stop selling. Contract for Middle Earth expires in 2017 I think.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Socrates wrote:
I think people who are living in fear of GW losing interest for any further investment in The Hobbit SBG should consider the earlier mentioned 'last minute' split of the initial planned two movies into a trilogy.
This may feel kind of 'thin', like butter spread over to much bread, but in fact can't be seen as a sign of any malcontent towards their SBG from GW.

Thats a good explanation for the limited number of miniature releases for LOTR, but it does absolutely nothing to explain the almost complete lack of support for the SBG in White Dwarf.

If GW was really serious about promoting and supporting the SBG, then we'd see periodic White Dwarf content, painting guides, tacticas, battle reports, miniature showcases etc, every couple of months, sprinkled in between major Warhammer 40K or Fantasy Battle releases.

Sadly, due to White Dwarfs new status as a monthly catalogue promoting the latest releases and flavour of the month, past releases and content are quickly forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A lake town scenery set would be very interesting :-D ! Though if it's true it would be a Pitty to have such a cool kit for such an expensive minitures :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Woah I didn't notice the Laketown scenery, that's interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I hadn't even bothered to watch the video until I saw on here that there was Laketown scenery. It definitely has the look of a plastic kit. As long as it's not really expensive, I can see it being very popular if it is released.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I only need one more gandalf pose... gandalf in the shower. JOKES Gandalf on a nonshadowfax horse

I do love the scenary though. Looks smart

Last edited by cereal_theif on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh CT...and for a second there I thought you had some juicy gossip for us :( :lol: Yeah, another gandalf the grey mtd would be nice.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SD, if I had that kind of news I would be texting or ringing you... while dancing naked around my front garden
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yeah...thanks for that lovely mental image just before I go to sleep :shock: :P

Back on topic...I ordered Bard today :D Hopefully he'll perform as well as his profile suggests he will.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Where did you hear this rumor?
Google is your friend :)

Quote:
From contacting Games Workshop myself about the prospect of certain models going OOP they replied saying that all sculpts for the Hobbit films will be coming out in either Finecast or Plastic. It will be a while yet before the Finecast products start disappearing from this range.

I sure that is true. I am sure they would tell me the same thing. I am going to wait to see what the word is in March.

Quote:
Contract for Middle Earth expires in 2017 I think.

We can hope they will keep up the fine job they have done so far :E

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think GW is fading out finecast due to signs in 40k and Fantasy. The reason why there are Hobbit releases in finecast is because of the last minute split to make 3 films. So all of these releases would have been made already and have been sitting in the studio for a while before the decision to fade out finecast.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
Dark Istari wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Yeah I dont know how anyone would have any interest in another Gandalf

I don't really understand this, SBG has always been a collector's game, in the first year of Fellowship everything was released in themed boxes with multiples of all the heroes, I don't recall complaints about there being to many Aragorns or Gandalfs back then. Sure, there are a ton of Gandalfs out there but what's the problem with having more choice? Several of the old Gandalf sculpts aren't available any more and this is the first Gandalf from the Hobbit range that allows you to buy him on his own. More models is surely a good thing no? It's not like because they've made this sculpt they HAVEN'T made a different DOS sculpt. I won't be getting him but it's nice to have a wide range, don't really see a negative :roll:

1-Thats because I like having an Aragorn for helms deep, one with a elven cloak or a cloak in the tavern, a king aragorn. etc. They all have dynamic action poses. Seeing galdalf with his arm moved 45 degrees six times is uninteresting to me.

2-While they make Gandalf the 10th, we could have another pose for a different model from the new set, or a new guy all together....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think that GW are keeping the production costs down by releasing the Hobbit minis in Finecast. There is a massive cost involved in the die manufacture for plastic figures, whereas Finecast uses vulcanised rubber molds. Figures like Legolas and Tauriel will have an extended retail life under The Lord of the Rings umbrella.

As they withdrew the Battle of the Five Armies game before the initial Hobbit releases, I think they may be either; 'Jackson-ising' the figures, or rewriting the rules (maybe both). They could release that as a box set for There and Back Again. Kind of like Epic for The Hobbit.

Whatever happens, I'm disappointed by the distribution plan for the January figures. As nice as the sculpts are, it's doubtful I will buy any of these.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If finecast is so cheap to produce, then why does it cost so much?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hill-Troll wrote:
If finecast is so cheap to produce, then why does it cost so much?

You need to write to GW and ask them. Nobody here is qualified to answer that. Lets not see this thread slip into another finecast is pants and costs too much money whinge. Some LotR troop types are now finecast and four for sixteen pounds. These new laketown guys are three for fifteen pounds. Is it another stealth price rise? Yes of course. But so what? It is what it is. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it. People will still buy them. Maybe not in large quantities, but I will certainly be getting a box of each.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have had no problem with hobbit finecast till now. I didn't mean to moan about it.
My finecast bolg is pretty good actually and my beorn doesn't have any flaws either.
I just thought somebody knew.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next