All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:59 am

Post subject: My Alternative Rohirrim.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here I'll be posting my WIP Alternative Rohirrim army, using historical Anglo Saxon miniatures. It'll be 100% infantry, focusing on chainmail equipped heavy infantry (Hearthguard) and light infantry (Levy Militia) utilising shield wall tactics, backed up by skirmishers (archers and javelin).

Inspired by LOTR Online, I'll be setting the force in the Stonedeans, the region of Rohan bordering Dunland. Due to its proximity with Dunland and the presence of ethnic Dunlendings in its population, its allegiance to Rohan is questionable.

Click to: Show
Quote:
Stonedeans is an area within West Rohan.

The Stonedeans is where the Rohirrim and Dunlendings have lived in relative peace for some time.

Most of the Dunlendings in Rohan were exiled long ago into what is now Dunland, but those who remained stayed in the Stonedeans. However, the tensions have risen of late, as Saruman inspires the Dunlendings to join him and reclaim their old lands.

Saruman has agents everywhere, his influence far-reaching, and he has begun to undermine the leadership of Woodhurst, the capital of the Stonedeans. The city has become dangerous for any Rohirrim living there and many are fleeing.

The leadership in Woodhurst struggle to maintain control while trying to determine friend from foe. Time is short as an army of the White Hand marches upon the city and has claimed most of the southern Stonedeans. Those still loyal to the Rohirrim have to muster their allies or risk being consumed by the White Hand’s war machine.

The Wild Men, with help from Saruman's Orcs and Uruk-hai, control a great deal of the Stonedeans. They prepare to cross the river-gorge at Brockbridge, where a few brave men hold back an endless tide threatening to wash over northern Stonedeans. Should the Wild Men succeed, they will surely march on Edoras to raze the city and its golden hall to the ground.

GEOGRAPHY

A region among the foothills of the Misty Mountains, the Stonedeans consists of crags, broken stones, tall oaks and firs, and rushing rivers. A source of many of the metals worked by the Rohirrim, particularly iron mined from the low mountains that surround Nan Curunír.

LORE

By no coincidence is this Riding the most similar to Dunland. Historically poor and uncivilized, compared with the remainder of the Westemnet, the Stonedeans have seen many marriages between Eorlingas the Dunlendings. Rohirrim from more prosperous lands even call it "Deanland" in jest.

This is an Early Saxon Lord, Aella, from Musketeer Miniatures. Only cost me £3 and it looks great! Perfect for LOTR.

http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/store.php?r=11&rule=Historical&id=35

This one is a King Alfred miniature from Gripping Beast. This one was also just £3.

http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=268441441

Post subject: Re: My Alternative Rohirrim.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:52 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I love that Early Saxon Lord model! Perfect for what you described. I may need to pick up one myself

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah, Musketeer Miniatures and Gripping Beast do some incredible miniatures. You should definitely check them out.

These are the Early Saxon Gedriht Hearthguard troops, by Musketeer Miniatures (this image is from the internet, not my painting). I'll be using these guys as the Hearthguard troops for my Thane of the Stonedeans (probably using Rohan Royal Guard profiles).

And these guys are Gripping Beast's Dark Age Warriors. I'll use them to represent a levy militia of peasants and farmers. (again, not mine. I havn't bought this box yet as it was only released a couple months ago).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:55 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Have to say I love that swordsman in the first pic. I think I may have to start building up my Rohan force with some awesome new hero models
Also might take some as the special units like Westfold Red-shields

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:40 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great looking minis - I have been admiring Musketeer and Gripping Beast for a few years now, and their SAGA rules seem to be much liked.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great work, Gripping Beast models really are excellent. I suppose you could adapt them to all sorts of army factions

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Eastern factions like Mongols and Huns are good for the Variags of Khand.
Picts, celts and other ancient or Dark Age barbarians are good for Wildmen of Dunland. Viking miniatures might work for more heavily armoured Dunlendings.
Feanor over on TLA is doing some fantastic Gondor conversions using Roman miniatures.
Scottish clansmen figures (e.g. Ebob Miniatures) are good for Clansmen of Lamedon.
Eastern and Arab miniatures are good for Harad and possibly Easterlings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Love it! :yay:
The painting is very good, and so is the choice of models. I was going to say that the models like more like Dunlendings to me, but with that background, you've given a very good reason for that! I really like the background, it sounds very believable to me (and that means something, because I'm very picky for what I think is Tolkien-ish or not).
Great job, looking forward to see more! :yay:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thankyou. :D Feanor complimenting my work. High praise indeed.