All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: January Releases!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It‘s hard to tell from looking at the picture, but it looks like Bard is pulling the bowstring the normal way, but in the film he draws it backwards (apparently to get more draw with the longbow).
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Highlordell wrote:
Dorthonion wrote:
Some nice sculpts but not so entranced by the prices.

I agree, the Laketown Gaurd look lovely, I guess we've gotta hope they've had these blisters ready since before the film was split and have no choice to release them. It seems like the only explanation for FC troops at this point.

The most probable reason for the troops being in Worm Cast is financial. G.W. needs to sell a lot less to cover its costs and make a profit if it sells figures at £5 each in finecast which is a cheap material, as are the moulds when compared to the cost of a steel mould used to manufacture plastic miniatures.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

haha, I preordered the entire lot. But then again, I have serious issues when it comes to collecting. Gotta have it all! Cant wait to get them, they are all great!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Gandalf miniature looks fantastic. One of the best models released by GW in the last few years, I think. It's also exactly the pose I've been looking for, I wanted to have a standing Gandalf for some time, didn't particularly like the Rivendell Gandald and didn't need the White Council. This looks perfect, though it's a bit expensive. Ah well, we'll see. :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Almost walked into my local GW twice this week but managed to hold myself back! I haven't made an SBG purchase since about March of last year, and with Christmas purchases and first of the month bills I shouldn't be spending frivolously just now.

But next paycheque, precioussss...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the gundabad orcs I hope theyre not the same price. If they are, Im not purchasing one. If they are a box of ten for $40, Ill eventually get some. Just not from GW lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the gandalf model pose is from the scene just before this pic when he says to radagast in our blindlness the enemy has returned (as he stare to the wild just beneath the tree branch if you guys recall it)

Nice mini call,its lovely

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In answer to the are people buying the Laketown miniatures? question, I am sadly not.

I had actually saved the Goblin Town scenery from last year and had been using the wood pieces to create dock/water effect bases. Suffice to say, I was doing this in eager anticipation of the Laketown miniatures.

It is entirely because of the prices. I'm not in a situation where I need to pinch pennies and actually, I'm a good deal more frivolous than I should be with my cash.

Edit: please see our policy on this subject
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:16 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I too am not purchasing any laketown minis but it's not because of the price, I just don't like them.

Edit: please see our policy on this subject

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:43 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi, if you're wondering why your post was edited, or where it went, please see our policy on the subject at hand.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Watching the video GW made for previewing the new releases I'm stunned by the quality of these new sculpts. The detail on these models is absolutely fantastic!

However, do any of you have the same dilemma as me deciding to buy this Bard pose or waiting for the release of the pose which can ben seen in the Desolation of Smaug scourcebook?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:24 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I prefer the one in the book, so I'll be holding out for him.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Problem with January Bard is that he is aiming down - which doesn't necessarily work for the sake of him killing a dragon the size of a street.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pretend hes riding on his back! Woohooo!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I loved the Bard pose in the book but think I prefer this new one so I'll definitely be picking him up on Saturday. Who knows, I may well also get the book one whenever he's released.

I must say it's a very strange decision on GW's part, firstly, I'm surprised to see 2 Bard sculpts so early on (I would have guessed there'd be a second pose next year) but the decision to not release the one from the book first is even more confusing.

It's all good though, it's positive to see that we may have more models coming out way than those hinted at in the book, who knows, we may find ourselves in a Men of Dale situation again in a few months.

I'm also curious to see if we get the alternate Thorin's Company poses from the rulebook this year? They're surely due and it's very unlike GW to have so many photos of pre-release sculpts in a rulebook and then never release them. I've thought for a long time they were keeping them back for the DOS release but expected to see them alongside the elves in the first wave. Perhaps they didn't want to release them alongside the Barrel set. It's slightly worrying that all the company photos in the DOS book are of the plastic ones though...

I'm hopeful about the potential Laketown scenery, it'll be a big surprise to me if they do release such a kit but looking at the video it does look plastic, particularly the rope and baskets in the background. The only downside is that even if it's priced reasonably (£15 for a house maybe? dunno what I'd be happy with) through no fault of GW's it will probably be prohibitively expensive as, like Goblin Town, you'll need an entire board to make it worthwhile. Would certainly be cool for dioramas though and 1 Laketown building is required for Dr Grant's 2014 hobby master plan so I'll definitely be getting at least 1!

Fingers crossed as always!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dr Grant wrote:
I'm also curious to see if we get the alternate Thorin's Company poses from the rulebook this year? They're surely due and it's very unlike GW to have so many photos of pre-release sculpts in a rulebook and then never release them. I've thought for a long time they were keeping them back for the DOS release but expected to see them alongside the elves in the first wave. Perhaps they didn't want to release them alongside the Barrel set. It's slightly worrying that all the company photos in the DOS book are of the plastic ones though...

I'm hopeful about the potential Laketown scenery, it'll be a big surprise to me if they do release such a kit but looking at the video it does look plastic, particularly the rope and baskets in the background. The only downside is that even if it's priced reasonably (£15 for a house maybe? dunno what I'd be happy with) through no fault of GW's it will probably be prohibitively expensive as, like Goblin Town, you'll need an entire board to make it worthwhile. Would certainly be cool for dioramas though and 1 Laketown building is required for Dr Grant's 2014 hobby master plan so I'll definitely be getting at least 1!

Fingers crossed as always!

I'm also curious about when these new sculpts for the members of Thorin's Company will be released. However, I can only discover new poses for Thorin, Bombur? and Kili in the rulebook (small EFGT version) if I'm correct. Did you manage to find any more?

Concerning the Laketown scenery:

I talked to a staff member of 'my' local GW and he told me that we can definitely expect a Laketown-like scenery set to be released. Although I'm aware of the fact that GW staff members aren't the most reliable scource I'm still willing to believe this

Especially, or so he told me, when you take in mind that several of the generic Warhammer Fantasty terrain sets are no longer being restocked. He saw this as a sign that there might be a new scenery line on the way; one that could be used for The Hobbit SBG and WFB. I think a Laketown set could definitely play this part, I mean as long as it isn't covered with skulls as are most of the other Warhammer Fantasy terrain pieces. And as the video shows us this isn't the case, luckily :-D !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Socrates wrote:
He saw this as a sign that there might be a new scenery line on the way; one that could be used for The Hobbit SBG and WFB. I think a Laketown set could definitely play this part, I mean as long as it isn't covered with skulls as are most of the other Warhammer Fantasy terrain pieces.

Interesting, like you say they're not normally privy to pre-release information but it's not unheard of for staff to have a bit of a wider view of the future. Particularly if it's a broader release like scenery rather than the next army book. Who knows? It certainly sounds promising.

As for the company, yeah they're all in there, not the best pics but I'm sure you can see each member's new pose at some point or the other, I don't have my book to hand though so can't give page numbers. It's possible that they're on the pages that detail the narrative scenarios that you won't have in the small rulebook. If so you could always have a flick through next time you're in GW if you're interested.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Socrates wrote:

I'm also curious about when these new sculpts for the members of Thorin's Company will be released. However, I can only discover new poses for Thorin, Bombur? and Kili in the rulebook (small EFGT version) if I'm correct. Did you manage to find any more?

The large rulebook has a picture of an entirely new Thorins company on pg 128. Included are the Bilbo and Gandalf finecasts already released.

On the laketown scenery. I really hope it's a decent value for the money. The goblin town ones seemed a little pricey when separate from the starter

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If that Laketown scenery isn't plastic, I'll eat my hat. It looks more plastic than the MoM Fellowship (but luckily, much better too). Looking forward to the entire pieces, hopefully it's a bit modular as it would be a shame to have the same details and size for every building.

Thinking of it, Laketown would be pretty awesome to play on. Small walkways, lots of jump tests, possibility to use boats and swimming rules.. very skirmishy and varied. Bit like Assassin's Creed, come to think of it.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Some rules for Orcs and Elves freerunning across the rooftops would be awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next