All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: January Releases!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks JamesR and Dr Grant, I'll definitely take a look in the big version of the rulebook the next time I'm in a GW (bummer the new poses aren't all in the small rulebook).

Playing on a full scale Laketown board (probably combined with current Goblin Town scenery) would indeed make for a 'Assasin's Creed' like experience. A rooftop chase as King Ondoher imagined would be awesome!

Hopefully any may-be Laketown scenery will be priced friendly. In comparison to regular Warhammer Fantasy terrain and earlier LOTR related terrain sets, the Goblin Town set was however pretty expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

King Ondoher wrote:
Some rules for Orcs and Elves freerunning across the rooftops would be awesome.

Assassins Creed style orcs...this could be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="Coenus Scaldingus"]If that Laketown scenery isn't plastic, I'll eat my hat.

Imagine if it was fine cast?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bilbo wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
If that Laketown scenery isn't plastic, I'll eat my hat.

Lol! :rofl:

I know you're joking but I've got to agree with Coenus - it is definitely plastic. If it is not a kit then it is definitely made up of combined plastic kits as the ends of wooden walkways are just so plastic - look the same as how the finished the ends of the Goblin Town walkways.

If it is released then… it must be our's precious! :-D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bilbo wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:

Lol. That would be expensive!

Lake town would be fun to play on! Jumping, swimming and falling to your death. OH PLEASE GW PLEASE!!!!
Wait me saying that wont do anything..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bilbo wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:

This is not necessary. GW would never make terrain in FC. Plastic around the £25-£35 mark if it is released.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I haven't seen the DoS book but are there rules for playing scenarios in Laketown? If there aren't then I wouldn't expect to see the terrain released. If there are then maybe... Of course, fashioning your own wouldn't be too tough with all the other manufacturers' stuff out there.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lord Hurin wrote:
I haven't seen the DoS book but are there rules for playing scenarios in Laketown? If there aren't then I wouldn't expect to see the terrain released. If there are then maybe... Of course, fashioning your own wouldn't be too tough with all the other manufacturers' stuff out there.

But would there really need to be seperate rules? I mean you'd really just take advantage of less used rules that aleady exist, jump tests, falling, swimming/drowning etc. Its all already there just, as I said, less used.

But I just had a thought... I want a Laketown board for my WATCHER to kill everything! Mwahahahaha! :-D He'd have access to his full movement and his hurls would be that much morre devistating by throwing models to their doom by drowning!

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

. I want a Laketown board for my WATCHER to kill everything! Mwahahahaha! :-D He'd have access to his full movement and his hurls would be that much morre devistating by throwing models to their doom by drowning![/quote]

Now that would be awesome!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I could see a laketown supplement before TABA. Desolation of Smaug Part 2, or whatever. 3 or 4 Scenarios from the movie (bard vs laketown guard, orc invasion, bolg showdown), rules for playing in laketown (god knows what they'd be though, something to encourage vertical play?),the laketown kit released, maybe profiles for Braga and Bolg, along with minis? Tauriel and Legolas in their traveling gear?

Probably enough there to make a supplement. And that's without large firebreathing reptiles or floating eyes of doom, and accompanying scenarios. It might even be better than the AUJ release pattern - giving them something to release in the autumn months once they've had time to see the finished movie.

Pure speculation, though.

I'm so down for laketown kits - seriously. Boats! Water mat from Dreadfleet! Vertical gameplay with roofs and towers! A few buildings bought from elsewhere with interiors! Orc Shamans summoning the Krak - erm, The Watcher in the Water! Islands made from hill bits!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Creaky wrote:
I could see a laketown supplement before TABA. Desolation of Smaug Part 2, or whatever. 3 or 4 Scenarios from the movie (bard vs laketown guard, orc invasion, bolg showdown), rules for playing in laketown (god knows what they'd be though, something to encourage vertical play?),the laketown kit released, maybe profiles for Braga and Bolg, along with minis? Tauriel and Legolas in their traveling gear?

Probably enough there to make a supplement. And that's without large firebreathing reptiles or floating eyes of doom, and accompanying scenarios. It might even be better than the AUJ release pattern - giving them something to release in the autumn months once they've had time to see the finished movie.

Pure speculation, though.

If I may, gonna join in on your speculation :D !

I think that, if GW will release some sort of Laketown supplement it won't be a standalone book; seems to me there aren't enough profiles and scenario's available to put in such a book.

It may also be better for them to use the momentum provided by the movie to push a possible Laketown kit. However, on the other hand, a wave of releases during summer might also be a good choice to evade some sort of 'hobby-lull' for the Hobbit SBG.

Sounds to me like a good opportunity for some extra attention in the White Dwarf!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR: Fair point, I guess we do actually have all the jumping, falling and swimming stuff already covered...

Creaky: That would be pretty phenomenal, actually! I kinda want to get on it now...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord Hurin wrote:

I would think that lake town scenery would be released in time for the next film, and the battle of Laketown.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd say Laketown will be a release for next year, in a supplement similar to the DoS one (essentially a mirkwood supplement). The first chunk of film 3 will be set there anyhow, that much we know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gene Parmesan wrote:
I'd say Laketown will be a release for next year, in a supplement similar to the DoS one (essentially a mirkwood supplement). The first chunk of film 3 will be set there anyhow, that much we know.

That does sound reasonable, and could be used to garner interest efore the release of Hobbit III!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have the strongest suspicion that the battle of the Five Armies will feature the ruined down of Laketown as the backdrop, or at least that Laketown will play a major role in the action of film 3.

In such a case, that may be the best time for Laketown scenery.

Alas, I'd say what we'll see for most of 2014 is the tail end of what we sort of expected for 2013. (Which may go a ways to explaining the finecast)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Isn't Laketown rather a long way away from dale and erebor?

We know that the fighting takes place within the ruins of dale itself during the battle (as well as outside it, presumably) - that's not a bad idea for a scenery kit for movie 2, if laketown pans out.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Creaky wrote:

We know that the fighting takes place within the ruins of dale itself during the battle (as well as outside it, presumably) - that's not a bad idea for a scenery kit for movie 2, if laketown pans out.

It indeed is. Have a look here:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It is true that there may be enough possible scenarios for another book, but not enough miniatures. But for the third movie they will more likely focus the scenarios on the big battles.
Maybe they will release the laketown buildings together with some downloadable laketown scenarios? That would encourage people to buy the buildings.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Creaky wrote:

It is...but distances in the films have been highly skewed. Getting through Mirkwood was a multi-week extravaganza in the book (its about 200 miles, traversed by kinda smallish people). In the movie, they can see Erebor from the misty mountains (call it three hundred miles away in book terms), can see the Lake from about the halfway point in the forest, and so on and so forth. There's even a shot that seems to imply that Dale and Laketown are real close in movie 2.

All that Laketown setup might imply an effort to up the emotional content of the big battle by having the battle closer to Laketown than Dale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next