All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:58 am

Post subject: GW Packaging Change?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi everyone so I received this order today (very pleased I was too - Hobbits!) in double quick time and upon opening up the box I discovered the blister packaging had changed since my last metals order in late August. I'm not sure if this has been noticed before but it left me wondering about how quickly the rest of the metals will disappear?

Here's the image:

So it seems they are no longer making actual LotR packaging for blisters.

Also The Hobbits of the Shire FC is on the left and it has "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Strategy Battle Game" and "The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game" logos emblazoned across it. Does this suggest that perhaps there will be an official amalgamation in the future into one "Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game?" I remember speaking to a member of staff in my local GW about the whole game and he said that once the last Hobbit film is out, they will probably rename the range as something like "Tolkien Strategy Battle Game". That's what he said anyway. I doubt that would be the name though.

So basically I'm just curious to see if any of you guys on here who have recently placed metals orders have found the same as I have never seen this blister packaging before. Is it just this once or is it a widespread thing? Or is it just because these are direct only minis now that that's how they package them. And do you think there are any implications for the future of the Game and will they rename the range?

Oh and please no GW bashing - this is all pure speculation and curiosity.

Post subject: Re: GW Packaging Change?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

From my experience that's the packaging they use when they're near the end of an item's stock

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They use the white packing for any items that are direct only. Occasionally you get retro blisters but more often than not you get the white ones.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

pretty sure that is just the packaging you recieve with blisters when order online but not certain...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok thanks. I remember Barrels out of Bond came in white but I thought that was just cos it was a direct only box. Oh well then, must just have been a one off for me to get all colour packaging in August for my Arnorians. It had been a while since I had ordered metals before August and if I remember correctly, they all used to be in coloured blisters (2008-2010ish). Not sure if that's right but I seem to recall that's how it used to be. I may just have been completely oblivious to this white packaging thing outside of boxes though :oops:

Thanks for the replies guys. Just whilst we're here what do you think about the renaming thing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i like it... biding they carry on producing lotr minis that have since gone oop (list on other topic) and i think that it might be good for gw and hopefully boost numbers on the middle earth front if they are to change name after hobbit.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The manager (and sole employee) of my local GW has said that they use the blue LotR stuff until they run out, then use white. Saves making different packaging from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I ordered a blister of Giant Spiders, Druzhag, and the Spider Queen a month ago. The two former were in the regular blue blisters, while the Spider Queen was just in a plastic package without the box shown online (which I would love to have).

In the GBHL YouTube channel they mentioned that the white packaging is a sign of low stock on an item; I don't know how true is this, I certainly hope not.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually, metals are done in white now because they are direct order items, not made in such vast quantities with a fancy package designed to increase the likelihood of buying it: basically, the metals all turned white (apart from old stock) when Finecast took over.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My Halbarad Captain of the Dunedain (the old version with a banner) and my blister of Dunedain arrived today in White packaging.