All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:16 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gundabad Orcs in FC boxes of 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

When I saw these guys in the movie I was wildly excited at the prospect of a plastic set but I've been dreading finecast £5/mini sets ever since the last release wave. If they do turn out to be finecast I'll but a set of the best posed ones to paint, I guess, but I can't afford a fething wardband of 'em. On the other hand, I'm pretty set for "large heavily armoured orcs" since I have 40+ Morannons who'll work as Dol Guldur orcs if need be.

I'm still not sure these arent plastic, though, looking at the way they're posed. Look at the shield arm on "swordsman no.2" and tell me that doesn't look like a plastic cast. Also, you missed a swordsman type in your countup unless there are two identical captains in the background; between spearmen 3 and 2, and another just like him over on the far left side.

I'm holding out hope. If this IS a plastic kit, I'm filing for bankruptcy.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Raukov wrote:
I'm still not sure these arent plastic, though, looking at the way they're posed. Look at the shield arm on "swordsman no.2" and tell me that doesn't look like a plastic cast. Also, you missed a swordsman type in your countup unless there are two identical captains in the background; between spearmen 3 and 2, and another just like him over on the far left side.

All I can say is I hope you're right. I'm prepared to eat my words hahaha.
Between spearman 1 and 2 there is another spearman 1 and behind him is a swordsman 1 I believe, there could be captain or two in there but that still means only 3 poses including captains.
I know its hard to see but I would put money on there only being 3 variants of each. Its just that in that picture the spears are hard to see. :)

OERP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

From what I can tell, there are 18 (including the hidden one between spearmen 3 and 2) gundabads in that picture. 3 minis of the 6 poses listed. I hate to say it, but it's looking FC to me....

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I found the images on the (other) TheOneRing.net of the gathering forces - Mount Gundabad was the orcs northern capital. They were involved in the Battle of the Five Armies and probably in action around Dol Guldur too. I like the idea of these large nasty orcs. They are distinct from the Mordor and Isengard types.
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/ ... 02-047.jpg
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/ ... 02-048.jpg

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
Yes they were when Gandalf is in Dol Guldor they are shown and the lighter armored are Hunter Orcs

Must have missed those. Glad I did too, they look ridiculous. Very Warhammmery with those giant ax blade noses.

The Orcs Legolas and Tauriel fight during the barrels scene look much brawnier than the ones from AUJ though...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I see a Standard Bearer on that picture, we haven't had one of those released for years

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Raukov wrote:
When I saw these guys in the movie I was wildly excited at the prospect of a plastic set but I've been dreading finecast £5/mini sets ever since the last release wave. If they do turn out to be finecast I'll but a set of the best posed ones to paint, I guess, but I can't afford a fething wardband of 'em. On the other hand, I'm pretty set for "large heavily armoured orcs" since I have 40+ Morannons who'll work as Dol Guldur orcs if need be.

The ones you mean are just Swordsman N°3 from a different angle, sadly. FC Gundabad Orcs, here we come. I am so fed up. :roll:

2014 Oathtaker (-2 points)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dorthonion wrote:
I found the images on the (other) TheOneRing.net of the gathering forces - Mount Gundabad was the orcs northern capital. They were involved in the Battle of the Five Armies and probably in action around Dol Guldur too. I like the idea of these large nasty orcs. They are distinct from the Mordor and Isengard types.

If we got plastic troops that looked that good I would buy up all boxes.

Seriously though....hopefully this is a stop gap release, this years Gundabads will be Finecast, like the old Uruk Scouts and Wood Elves and Galadrhim, and we'll get a full Gundabad/Dol Guldur plastic release come the time of the third film.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He he, these orcs just remind me of the old Winkie Guards in the Wizard of Oz for some reason. No idea why. It's probably the big crests on some of their heads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I must say, these aren't what I pictured The Gundabads looking like at all. I was hoping for a more kind of pale skinned, tall unarmoured troop type. Stupid of me, I was just drawing conclusions from Azog. :roll: silly seeing as he is consistently called " the Pale Orc" obviously he is abnormal from the rast of his race.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but it's not mine and the best I could find online...

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-conte ... ler2k1.jpg

But if this is what we see in the film, either the Gundabad orcs here will be 10 to a box like the Mirkwood infantry. Or, there will be a second plastic release for them, or a similar orc infantry unit, next year with TABA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hollowcrown wrote:
Looks like people will be converting their Uruk-Hai into these.

Just wondering...are these Gundabad Orc "elite" troops like Beserkers or just a more normal type of troops like Uruk-Hai?

No. They are far from elite. They are tough though....

Their profile is the exact same as an uruk hair warrior with 1 less fight and a special rule for the same points. The special rule is about re rolling to wound against Elves/Dwarves And furthermore, you can only add a pike or shield.

mertaal wrote:
Anyone with half a brain can tell that the Gundabad Orcs would sell as well as the Mirkwood elves or Dwarves

Hmm, maybe you think im a moron, but I dont believe that at all. Im not a dwarf fan, but if I was I would have bought $70 worth of dwarves and I plan on buying $70 worth of Mirkwood archers.

I had planned on buying 70-105 worth of Gundabads. Now, instead, GW gets 0 dollars because they put them in finecast(lets pretend its 100%). I guarantee you I am far from the last person to think like this. Same thing with the Laketown troops.

Theyre losing out on thousands easily Im sure just off of people who browse this site.

You can substitute Uruk Hai, Morannons etc. And theres not enough official touraments in america for anyone to say hey we really need these models to use the profile....

Lord Hurin wrote:
What the hell are those?! That's not what I was picturing when I heard about Gundabad Orcs. Were those buggers in the films? Who are the more lightly armoured guys who Bolg leads in DoS?

LMAO I did lol at this for real pretty hard.

Raukov wrote:

I feel ya man. Ill be buying at least two if not 3 boxes if they are at 10 a piece. If they are only ten, in order to get more pikes Im sure we'll only get 4 a box(thats nasty people....) then Ill have to get 4 just for 2 warbands or convert. I dont like converting new models though.

Raukov wrote:

I feel ya man. Ill be buying at least two if not 3 boxes if they are at 10 a piece. If they are only ten, in order to get more pikes Im sure we'll only get 4 a box(thats nasty people....) then Ill have to get 4 just for 2 warbands or convert. I dont like converting new models though.

Dorthonion wrote:

Those look pretty cool. I do like the ones pictured but I wish they looked less like Uruk Hai. To me these look lazy as if they just took the Uruk sculpt and modified it.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I really don't see how people can say "these look like they're the old Uruk sculpts. These are FAR superior in detail to the plastic Uruks and personally I prefer their look to the Uruk's. They're also a bit larger judging by their size next to Azog.

regardless of if they're FC (which I'm expecting so if they end up plastic then it's a bonus) I'm excited for them. Most of the people complaining about the price probably haven't been in the game long enough to remember when most troops were sold in clam packs of 3 for $12-15 USD and that's what they are again. So no complaints here about that as My Fellowship Uruk force was built that way, there was no other option.

As to FC Games Workshop has greatly improved it. I hated the old LOTR range FC and I'd still prefer plastic or metal but all my Hobbit FC purchases have literally been perfect. So let's not keep holding 3-5 years ago as if it was yesterday please

MiniWargaming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:37 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

JamesR wrote:
regardless of if they're FC (which I'm expecting so if they end up plastic then it's a bonus) I'm excited for them. Most of the people complaining about the price probably haven't been in the game long enough to remember when most troops were sold in clam packs of 3 for $12-15 USD and that's what they are again. So no complaints here about that as My Fellowship Uruk force was built that way, there was no other option.

Erm, they won't be $15 for 3 figures they will be £15 for 3 figures.

Here, a blister of 3 metal Easterlings costs £8.20 (which I assume is $15)
A clampack of 3 Lake Town Men however costs £15 (which is maybe $28?)

That's the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
A bit steep I know but at least its no more expensive than the original metals (3 Khazads, 3 Uruk Scouts etc) were and while I do prefer metal I can live with a small repeat of that

….

Most of the people complaining about the price probably haven't been in the game long enough to remember when most troops were sold in clam packs of 3 for $12-15 USD and that's what they are again. So no complaints here about that as My Fellowship Uruk force was built that way, there was no other option.

I must say I admire your positivity and enthusiasm, you're quite right that the Hobbit Finecast is largely excellent and these models are FAR better than the older LOTR ones.

However, either your maths or your memory is definitely off; the metal Uruk Hai were 3 for £5 when they were first released, over 12 years this price crept up by about 60% to 3 for £8.20 (current price for remaining metals on the website). The Laketowners (and presumably the Gundabads) are 3 for £15, nearly doubling the price of the metals.

Having a look at the US store, 3 Laketowners are $25 compared to $15 for 3 metals so I don't really see how you can argue it's not more expensive. There's definitely been a big old jump with these Hobbit troops.

Fingers crossed for plastic Gundabads thought, all the evidence clearly points to FC but until I see the blisters I'll hold out a little hope.

Bear in mind that we could be misinterpreting these models too (much as many have the Laketowners). It's possible that GW didn't know these orcs would appear at the end of DOS so only ever intended them to be used for the Dimril Dale scenarios, that would then mean that less people would buy them and so they made them more expensive. I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things but it might well be the case that there's a set of plastic BOFA orcs planned for next year.

As ever, we shall see...

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Apologies. You are correct It's up a bit. I looked at the Captain as opposed to the troop price. Personally I love these models, and while I do not make enough to purchase them quickly I enjoy the game and will purchase several packs.

Also I think you be fair with fine-cast etc you need to be an honest critic/skeptic. It was garbage now its acceptable so approach it as such.

And most importantly this game for myself (and I'm sure most of us) has been at the center of many great memories/times and like all things it's got an expiration date. Why waste the time that's left only focusing on the negative?

MiniWargaming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thorin wrote:
The ones you mean are just Swordsman N°3 from a different angle, sadly. FC Gundabad Orcs, here we come. I am so fed up. :roll:

Aaaargh, you're right, I was sure the helms were different at the very least but scrutinizing the picture I can see it. Ugh, they're going to be finecast.

I guess at least they might be temporary? That army we see in DoS has to be going somewhere and I can't see how the scenarios the third movie is going to generate won't call for armoured orcs in greater quantities. They initially released Morannon orcs in blisters and replaced them with a plastic kit, so maybe in a year's time?

I really love these minis and I want a lot of them but I just can't spend £45 on a 9-model warband. This is going to break my heart.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
I really don't see how people can say "these look like they're the old Uruk sculpts. These are FAR superior in detail to the plastic Uruks and personally I prefer their look to the Uruk's. They're also a bit larger judging by their size next to Azog.

As to FC Games Workshop has greatly improved it. I hated the old LOTR range FC and I'd still prefer plastic or metal but all my Hobbit FC purchases have literally been perfect. So let's not keep holding 3-5 years ago as if it was yesterday please

Well, lets put it this way. I cant disagree with what youre saying. You appreciate the small things. For me, more of a gamer, Id much prefer that we had a difference between models like Uruk Hai and Mordor Uruk Hai.

Yeah they look better and have different armor to an extent, but you cant deny the similarities between the models.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
JamesR wrote:

Well, lets put it this way. I cant disagree with what youre saying. You appreciate the small things. For me, more of a gamer, Id much prefer that we had a difference between models like Uruk Hai and Mordor Uruk Hai.

Yeah they look better and have different armor to an extent, but you cant deny the similarities between the models.

The first thing I thought when I saw these models were "Uruk Hai". They're fully armoured, with plumed helms, identical breastplates and very similar shoulder/shield armour.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
hollowcrown wrote:
mertaal wrote:
Anyone with half a brain can tell that the Gundabad Orcs would sell as well as the Mirkwood elves or Dwarves

Hmm, maybe you think im a moron, ...

I had planned on buying 70-105 worth of Gundabads. Now, instead, GW gets 0 dollars because they put them in finecast(lets pretend its 100%). I guarantee you I am far from the last person to think like this.

You missed my point. That's EXACTLY what I meant. GW know that a plastic set would sell as well as the other troop types they've released so far, and yet they chose to release FC (which I won't buy either, except perhaps one blister to cast a few pieces for conversions).

That means they are not happy with current sales levels of plastic miniatures, and so won't be tooling to produce any more. I fear all we'll see now is FC. Which is a problem for me, as I won't buy it.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next