All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:22 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gundabad Orcs in FC boxes of 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Firstly, I’m very sorry if anyone misinterpreted my post as in any way vitriolic, unfortunately, I think the complete lack of tone and expression in type can often lead to such misunderstandings. Whilst I’m very wary of what Whafrog said, I think the mods are largely concerned with personal/sarcastic remarks rather than healthy debate between members so hopefully my post below is simply polite disagreement rather than any form of angry attack. The instruction was turn down the heat rather than change the subject so I think this will be alright. 8)

commoner wrote:
You also have absolutely no proof of this, just like you have no proof about anything you've said. Several LOTR models never were released that were alternate poses/sculpts, that's my proof….And has about as much "proof" as the rest of this thread does that they are finecast…You also can't say these are definitely finecast - again pure speculation on your part - based on one picture. There could be more models, you just haven't seen them in that ONE picture.

I, along with everyone else on this thread, never claimed to have proof about anything, I was simply offering a different opinion to your own. We’re making educated guesses about the models presented - there were three poses of each of the Laketowners, they were Finecast, there are only 3 poses of each type of Gundabad = they will probably be Finecast.

commoner wrote:
Also what proof do you have GW isn't using the same strategies in terms of miniature releases as they did for The Hobbit?

I didn’t say this, I said they haven’t got the same approach for the Hobbit as they had for LOTR.

commoner wrote:
So yes, that Bard may never see the light of day. It's about as relevant as all the other miniatures that have never made release either in GW history.

I disagree, claiming that a model shown for a new range won’t ever be released because it hasn’t been released 2 months into the range’s life is rather unlikely to say the least, should we also assume that we won’t ever get a Bear model for Beorn as well?

commoner wrote:
Lol. Classic internet move here. You focus on the finecast while ignoring the fact they did do this repeatedly with metal throughout the history of the SBG line, heck, all their miniature lines. It's a common practice for GW.

I’m focussing on the Finecast because there are no metal miniatures for the Hobbit so it’s the only material that’s relevant. As of yet they’ve never replaced Finecast with plastic so it’s a safe bet that they won’t do so here.

commoner wrote:
But if you would pay attention to their other rumors all finecast production is being phased out like they are phasing out metal now. Finecast will be REPLACED by forgeworld resin and plastic kits. Those kits that sell well will become plastic, the others will become resin…Did you also know they are supposedly reworking Warhammer from the ground up. Rumors say it is to the point it will barely resemble the current game. That many of its core armies are going to be cut.

I think you’re placing far too much faith in various internet rumours, a lot of these sites such as Nafka etc. simply work as rumour aggregators, picking up rumours from the web and reposting them, other people then take those rumours and pass them on and the rumour gains weight in that manner. The VAST majority of rumours posted on Nafka turn out to be false so I really wouldn’t read too much into them. The only firm things we have to go on are recent release trends and official announcements,

commoner wrote:
You know, a lot of the pictures you see in the books are their resin, mock ups of the miniatures they made for the studio. That's why they're plastic miniatures typically don't have mold lines or weird printing.

Again, I’m not sure this is true, I’ve certainly never heard it before but it may well be true. Their plastic models absolutely do have mould lines though.

commoner wrote:
Also, as Dorthonion pointed out to you below, the orcs were metal in Fellowship days and you needed 200 of those. At 8 USD a blister for three that was 533 dollars. And that's just for the orcs!

I’m not sure quite why this is relevant but you certainly didn’t need 200 of them. There was one Last Alliance scenario that called for 240 metal orcs and I think it’s a safe bet that no-one ever played that scenario back in 2001….

commoner wrote:
These models were decided in 2012. They were decided before Azog was switched, remember. So you take a picture with the old Azog miniature in it. Then Azog changes. So you have a choice, retake the picture (which means getting the figs out, the terrain, setting everything up, getting a camera man, taking the picture, processing/uploading the picture, editing the picture, touching up the picture, etc). Or you could have the graphic design guy cut and paste the new Azog into an existing picture so you don't have to mess with all of that.

Again, I respectfully disagree, the Azog and young dwarf models were only made last year, probably alongside the Laketowners and Gundabads. So the photos taken for the Dimril Dale scenarios were almost certainly taken at some point last year, there’s a whole selection of photos from the Dimril Dale scenarios, a few of which feature the Gundabads. I sincerely doubt that these photos were taken alongside some very early Gunadabad models and then Thorin, Dwalin, Balin and Azog were all Photoshopped in rather than retaking the pictures.

commoner wrote:
While I'm on the subject, just so you know, things may look bad for us - which they do - but at the same time, you can't even buy any of the core choices for the Empire army in WFB at a store anymore. It's all direct only. In fact, a good chunk of the warhammer line is direct only. So I guess we're in the same boat, huh?

Again, I’m not sure of the relevance of this to the issue at hand but I believe this is down to GW stores only having limited shelf space no? They’ve started only keeping the big sellers of each range in the stores. Their ranges have grown in physical size exponentially over the years and they simply can’t keep everything in the stores - there’s certainly no sign that GW are winding down support for fantasy. An equivalent comparison would be if the new Empire spearmen were released as Finecast rather than plastic, that’s what people on this thread are worried about, the fact that GW seems to be releasing models that previously would have been plastic in Finecast.

Just to reiterate, all friendly discussion, nothing wrong with a difference in opinion, makes the world go round and all that :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

cereal_theif wrote:
metaal, or you could buy one blister and definately not make a clone of the shield as that would be illegal.

*gasp*! What a suggestion!

I really want to support this hobby. However, I do feel more comfortable doing so with good safe old plastic, or buying (as I have been) the still available metals on the GW site.

However, I have a finecast (onceuponatime) Bolg and Azog, and may well end up owning some of these Gundabads. 12 of them is probably pushing it though. I'm pretty happy to drop £60 in GW, but 12 finecast models for that price will very likely give me buyers remorse!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I’m not sure quite why this is relevant but you certainly didn’t need 200 of them. There was one Last Alliance scenario that called for 240 metal orcs and I think it’s a safe bet that no-one ever played that scenario back in 2001….

:rofl: I did but I already had enough orcs when the game out. That scenario was for group play anyway. But your point was made.

"Winter is coming and you know nothing John Snow"
I would like to point out that it is no longer safe to speculate on what GW will do in the future based on what they have done in the past. There is no long term future for Fine Cast. GW is approaching the point that they will melt down the remaining metal stock and sell the base metal. I don't know when that will happen. I just know that it will.

"Wishes and Nickles"
Let us hope we will see new plastic orcs for the Battle of Five Armies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Convert the uruk hai helmet to cover the face like a mask, and use green stuff to make the shield go all the way up the arm, maybe even cut off the centurion style uruk helmet decoration, rotate it 90 degrees, and use it as the plume?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Some more pictures of Gundabads Orcs:

I assume it's alright to upload these? I gotta say, these orcs do look pretty cool. I'm still not sure if I'll buy them though - if they are in fact finecast. Perhaps an Uruk-Hai conversion, as others have suggested?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Didin't have time to read everything, but something just clicked in my mind. The elves, legolas and Tauriel were supposed to be included in the first film until it was changed to 3 movies. GW might have already made those plastic mold a long time ago to coincide with the first movie. Now seeing the hobbit range not doing as well as they had hoped, they decided to make everything in finecast for DoS, to reduce cost of molds.

edit: This could also explain why they released the barrel out of bound set, which was originally part of the first movie (see lego hobbit release for the first movie). The finecast mold were already produced for the first movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Must admit I was curious/thinking about getting a warband or so to add to my easterlings, but if they are in finecast it kills it completely for me, and GW know Finecast will put off almost all everyone, either due to the price, or those who have had the "pleasure" of working with it before and so know what to expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Off topic but great avatar IntLemon 8)

Also just a though but has anyone tried for example to cast Bolg or another Finecast miniature in metal? I would like to see the end result :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Imladris96 wrote:
Off topic but great avatar IntLemon

lol, thanks. I might have to change it though - it must be annoying to see flashing ceaselessly while you read posts next to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Been thinking about all of this (probably too much.. :wink: ) and I am slightly beginning to wonder if we will see many more substantial releases (like plastic boxes, starter sets) for SBG. I really hope I am wrong but I do wonder.

Quite honestly I wonder if Games Workshop only renewed the license to stop any other company getting it. And are therefore fulfilling the minimum requirement for the license. They are really not bothered about the system very much, it is just a side show to them. But If say Warlord Games or Mantic or some other company had the License not GW it would have meant pulling all the existing LotR stock and running the risk of a competitor making plastic minis of the Middle Earth films/book. The potential damage that that could do to GW in terms of losing customers could be huge.

A well marketed, reasonably priced Middle Earth range with a solid set of modern rules could be a massive challenge to Warhammer's dominance in the fantasy market. Not something the bean counters at GW would want to risk, so take the hit on the licence, do the releases at minimum cost and maximum return and keep others hands off the IP.

I hope I am wrong and if we actually see any new releases in Feb I hope they are some shiny plastic Gundabad Orcs, but I fear I amy be right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The thing is , from what I hear the Desolation of Smaug sourcebook has gotten really good reviews, from the GBHL youtube channel for example. I think they were expecting two films and planned the laketown release as a scenario force. Possibly they are going to release some plastic lakemen in the future who knows. We did already get plastic Mirkwood 2 sets, so I doubt they have given up on us completely otherwise they'd simply have done everything as a finecast resin run to save cash. Plus there is no real reason to protect the LotR customer base from another company simply because to GW it is very proportionally small; and their main franchise is 40k, which will not be hit by fantasy dealings at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think they renewed because they remember the ROTK days when LOTR outsold 40k and fantasy combined.

They forgot how much leg work it took to build the fan base, take advantage of the increased interest and the investment to get htem into the shops.

This time they went big on film 1.... failed because it takes time to build a fan base from scratch.
Now they will be cautious but I see no reason to stop. No starter set until film 3 (and hopefully the limited editions will have sold out by then ... lol)

I think worrying is counter productive, enjoy the models, enjoy the up and coming releases. BTW with the one day per month release day idea gone I think we will need to accept that we might not know what is coming until later

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
I think they renewed because they remember the ROTK days when LOTR outsold 40k and fantasy combined.

They forgot how much leg work it took to build the fan base, take advantage of the increased interest and the investment to get htem into the shops.

This time they went big on film 1.... failed because it takes time to build a fan base from scratch.
Now they will be cautious but I see no reason to stop. No starter set until film 3 (and hopefully the limited editions will have sold out by then ... lol)

I think worrying is counter productive, enjoy the models, enjoy the up and coming releases. BTW with the one day per month release day idea gone I think we will need to accept that we might not know what is coming until later

I'd disagree, I don't think they put anything into The Hobbit like they did when the Fellowship came out first. There were preview nights a month in advance. A dedicated table with a forgeworld weathertop. The magazines and online had great content. And the models were painted to a great standard long before the release date. I'm pretty sure there were TV adverts. There was certainly a feature dedicated to it in some Tolkien documentary that aired on British national TV.

When we went in to get the EfGT box, we had a test game on bare plastic parts. There has been hardly any hobby content outside of "buy this".

I do agree that GW missed a big opportunity. A bit more marketing, and an appeal to a teenage customer would have been the shot in the arm the hobby needed. The only true advantage has been the quality of the models, but what good is it if no one is buying?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gene Parmesan wrote:
I'd disagree, I don't think they put anything into The Hobbit like they did when the Fellowship came out first.

I'm with Cereal on this, their initial Hobbit production was very impressive. There's no doubt their WD support throughout last year has been far poorer than it was for LOTR but looked at as a complete release for the pre-trilogy film 1 (so everything from last year + elves + spiders + Beorn + barrels + the 5 DOS scenarios) then they clearly put a lot of effort and resources into the range - certainly more than they did for the Fellowship release.

Gene Parmesan wrote:
[for the Fellowship release] There were preview nights a month in advance...And the models were painted to a great standard long before the release date...When we went in to get the EfGT box, we had a test game on bare plastic parts.

This is all true but is more a change in GW general than in their stance on SBG - the stores don't get 40K or Fantasy releases early anymore, if you go in to buy the new dwarves next Saturday morning none of the stores will have them painted. Sadly, GW took the decision some time ago to not allow any leaks/previews out in advance and of course sending out models to the stores to be painted in time for release day would mean the pics were all over the internet weeks in advance. There's no doubt it's a shame, I too was underwhelmed by the undercoated EFGT set on release day but it's a problem with all of GW's systems, not solely SBG.

Gene Parmesan wrote:
I'm pretty sure there were TV adverts. There was certainly a feature dedicated to it in some Tolkien documentary that aired on British national TV.

The TV adverts were for BGIME not for GW so were likely funded by Deagostini rather than GW. However, there's no doubt that BGIME played a huge part in the success of SBG through the TV adverts and the range's/hobby's pervasion through other outlets likes newsagents and book shops. Would've been nice to catch that documentary though.

I still find if remarkable that in October/November 2001, the month before the Fellowship range's release, WD contained a list of all the SBG releases and prices for everything being released up until April/May 2002! Amazing to see how much the company has changed its strategy in 13 years.

Gene Parmesan wrote:
I do agree that GW missed a big opportunity. A bit more marketing, and an appeal to a teenage customer would have been the shot in the arm the hobby needed. The only true advantage has been the quality of the models, but what good is it if no one is buying?

Completely agree, as I said in another thread, whilst the support is not like the 'Good 'ol days' the Hobbit range has been fantastic, the models are gorgeous and the updates to the rules have all been welcome. As you say, it's just a shame that, for all sorts of reasons, the range hasn't taken off with the gaming community like LOTR did. As Cereal says though, we should make the most of the gorgeous SBG minis whilst they're still being produced, make the most of the present and worry about the future when it's the past.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There were flyers with the full releases for the Fellowship, and The Two Towers (With the exception of Sauron which appeared in summer 2002, and Fell Beast which appeared in summer 2003). I carried mine around with me religiously.

I don't know if you were a hobbyist back then, but I remember my reaction to see a listing for "Haldir's Elves" due out with TTT.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

mikeland wrote:
Been thinking about all of this (probably too much.. :wink: ) and I am slightly beginning to wonder if we will see many more substantial releases (like plastic boxes, starter sets) for SBG. I really hope I am wrong but I do wonder.

Honestly, a looonnng time ago, I predicted that the Hobbit range would be smaller, because no matter how much you expand the Hobbit, there's still only a handful of beasties and character types you can use. Once the armoured Orcs are out, there isn't actually anything else we are missing from the first two films.

Which means, even with the vastly expanded movie version of the story,its going to be a stretch keeping product momentum going over three years. There's just not that much to sell. Even GW, the last time around, was dipping its toes into non-film concepts with the Shadow and Flame sourcebook of old. However, the big screeching hungry market who'll buy everything you put out with a ring icon on it, isn't there anymore. When a lot of us are, I suspect, really trying to justify each and every purchase, an extra special extra supplement line is probably not a winner for them.

Depending on the license terms, post movie 3, we may (may) see a bit more of a synergistic line which cross pollinates between LOTR and the Hobbit ranges and maybe some sort of supplemental line moving on. That being said, I doubt it would really generate the buzz GW would want.

Though maybe film 3 will have an epilogue about Beorn assembling his people (Beorning figures!), Balin leading a distinctive bunch of Dwarves to Moria (Moria dwarves!) and something about the Woodmen (woodmen!).

Though I wouldn't hold my breath.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I rarely get involved in these discussions about GW because I can respect everything they do is their choice, and their sbg game is probably the best game I have ever played. Furthermore I am blessed to live in a country where finding an opponent isn't too hard, and what with this community league *cough cough* that I helped establish *cough cough* I get plenty of chances to play against different armies with lotsa friendly dudes.

But y'all are right, £15 for 3 models is mad. Thank god Laketown isn't a real army.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I did not mean they went big on the advertising but on the production and range of models.

We saw great models, and they over stocked. They still sell limited edition starter sets... say no more

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gene Parmesan wrote:
When we went in to get the EfGT box, we had a test game on bare plastic parts.

:twisted: I'll do you one better: we had to assemble the set ourselves. Starting from opening the box and clipping the parts from the frickin' sprues. That's the stores own set we are talking about!! :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I dont know guys did you noticed, but there are some Gundabad/Dol Guldur warg riders shown in the movie (at the very start of the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqsiWmkBpM

Armored warg riders?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next