All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:21 pm

Post subject: Shiny Undercoat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I bought a can of chaos black spray the other day and when I use it, no mater how much I shake it and regardless of the conditions in which I spray, the model ends up covered but shiny. I've never had this problem before with Chaos Black spray. This all sounds superficial but I find when I start painting models the paint adheres less well to the undercoat.

And help with this would be greatly appreciated.
 Post subject: Re: Shiny Undercoat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Can't explain the cause of this other than to say shake the can more Dom but to get rid of the shine before you paint add some water to chaos black paint and give the model a good wash with it - it will dull the shine and help the paint adhere.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've never had a problem with Chaos Black Spray paint either. Have you tried Imperial Primer, it gives a near identical coat to the spray in regards to a matte finish, at least in my experience it does.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The dreaded spray can issues.

As DMS says, make sure you shake the can for a good few minutes before using.

Also, never *start* your spray on a miniature. start the burst on a piece of paper, then start spraying the model.

Don't overspray- expect to cover the whole miniature in two or even three passes- don't hover over the figure waiting for it to turn completely black. If you're doing this, then likely you'll get too much paint on the figure. If the paint collects "Wet" on the miniature it will very often dry shiny.

Make sure you warm up the can before you use. No, not in the microwave, or on the radiator! If it's not stored in a warm room maybe just snuggle up next to it on the sofa and whisper sweet nothings :P.

But seriously, temperature has a big effect on spraying. The can needs to be room temperature.

Also the type of atmosphere you're spraying in has an effect. Is it damp outside (if you're spraying outside!). That too can have a negative effect on the way a can sprays. The best atmosphere is warm and dry- unfortunately of course, that means indoors, which is NOT recommended. Just remember that if it's a wet day you might be better off waiting for a drier one.

I know this from various problems I've had with army painter matte varnish.

Also, remember, when priming, the objective is to get the base coat to stick on to the miniature. It isn't to "paint" the whole figure black. I think most miniature painters over-prime (including myself).

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh, one more thing- I'm sure you already do, as you seem to have had good results until now, but be mindful of the instructions on the can regarding optimal distance to the mini. I've seen a lot of people tempted to spray closer than they're supposed to, because they feel uncomfortable with going very slowly. What you actually want to do is "dust" the miniature in several layers of paint- short sprays from a good distance building up an opaque layer of paint, not just blasting away at short range, and covering each model in a few short seconds!

Hope this doesn't come off as patronising. If you know a lot of this stuff already then hopefully there's some tidbits which are relevant to your problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks guys. My house is particularly cold in the day (oil heating is expensive, too expensive to waste on me according to my mum :roll:) so maybe that's the problem. I'll give her a good snuggle later and get her in the mood, hopefully that'll help.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Don't leave spray cans in direct sunlight for a long time, even in winter. I saw the aftermath of one incident in a friend's house. Lets just say I cannot remember how many cans of white undercoat it took to hide the devastation...
I know some people prefer to use airbrushes for priming and undercoating as there is so much more control plus you know how good the paint is looking before you start using it (black and white and even grey are not the only base colours - Ebob preferred Scorched Brown and he is a good painter as well as being a demon sculptor).

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had this problem once before. Pretty much ruined my ROTK box set. I'd say try stripping them with non solvent stuff like Dettol. I tried to compensate but they still looked awful