All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:21 pm

Post subject: Re: White Dwarf will change
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, White Dwarf Weekly, as Dr Grant says will probably be alright when there is Hobbit release week but I am as baffled as everyone else about Warhammer Visions - I am seriously curious as to who will buy that magazine. What exactly does it bring to Hobbyists?

Anyway, I rarely buy White Dwarf these days, not because it has been really bad or anything like that but because it simply holds little-to-no interest for me (no more 'Eavy Metal Guides etc.) I will perhaps dip into one of the weekly ones in the Hobbit release month but I'm pretty certain this will not be a regular purchase for me and I reckon GW will spend more making Visions than they will get from purchases.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They just aren't listening to their customers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just got back from town and popped into GW to have a looksee.

Warhammer Visions was shrink-wrapped so you couldn't flick through, hardly surprising given that, IMO, more people would pick it up if they hadn't been able to flick through first. It looks nice, good size and very thick but, as shown in the link on the previous page, it's just full of pictures.

White Dwarf Weekly however looked far more promising, it was unsealed so you could flick through it (again, it might be coincidence but a flick through of this magazine might well encourage you to buy it), 32 pages, nice quality paper and binding - looked like a nice product. The content was pretty cool too, a few pages of new releases, the rules for the dwarf guy, interviews with the designers, Jervis' article was a deployment mini-game, there was an article about Tyriands one month on, seemed to be tactics or something but I didn't read it. There genuinely seems to be a fair bit of content in there. I wouldn't say it's worth £9.60 per month but, on a Hobbit release Week, I'll almost certainly pick it up. I'd far rather pay £2.40 for one of those per month than £5.50 (or whatever it was) a month for the old WD with no Hobbit content.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am quite sure that the motivation here is money, just shrink wrapping the WDW makes it more expensive after all. Not to even start about the fact that taken over all the white dwarfs they must now ship weekly that lesser amount of shrink wrapping will save them thousands of pounds. Weight or money take thy own pick.

At the very least, the GW where I picked up my copies of both magazines had an open copy of visions at the counter that you could freely look through. I bought it to have a good quiet look at home but I think that while the weekly will most likely be a weekly purchase for me from now on, I shall leave visions where it stands on the rack.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I did get the Visions to work on my iPad. My first and last purchase of that mag. It is just a rehash of older WD photos, some new ones, but nothing really that we have not seen before. Nothing inspirational.

I used to get inspired by the pics in White Dwarf, but they all seem so 'cookie cutter" lately. When I need inspiration to paint, I come here. So much more of what I am looking for is found here, and it does not cost $10 and issue.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

From what I was told, it seems that the third week of every month will see a small hobbit release and a WDW themed around. which is sort of like receiving our very own monthly is it not?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If that is the case, that will be the only one I purchase, and will be a good barometer for GW to gauge interest in each of their 3 game systems.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Traveler wrote:
From what I was told, it seems that the third week of every month will see a small hobbit release and a WDW themed around. which is sort of like receiving our very own monthly is it not?

That would be quite nice, looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I picked up wv today. To sum it up: 72 pages of last months releases, rubbish content info, half of it was golden demond, some type of a batrep and last months painting splatter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Visions mag looks better on the ipad than the printed version, but there are more than sixty pages of Tyranids... as others have mentioned many of these are either pics we've seen or so similar as to seem familiar. The featured army article (vampire counts) was great and has some really creative conversions and bases (spectral models cut in half and modeled as though moving through walls, etc). The Golden Demon section was good, but very little LotR stuff on display. Neither the battle report nor kitbash article was very inspiring. The lack of text in the mag is ridiculous. I doubt I'll buy it again...

The weekly is just the opposite... The printed version looks pretty much like the old White Dwarf, but the ePub digital version is limited by the format they've chosen. I may pick up the weekly when the feature is something I'm interested in, but I won't buy the digital version again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For me... the weekly is the bits of WD I actually read but without the Golden deamon pics I love.

I'll be buying weekly for a while n see how it goes £2.10 means around a £10 a month which you can't buy much warhammer for anyway.