All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:32 am

Post subject: Beginner...looking build
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi all - After a couple months of reading numerous posts here, I decided to officially join up. I also recently dove in and made my 1st purchases (Hobbit Rulebook & Free Peoples Sourcebook) and also purchased my 1st models: Haldir (Helms Deep) & Box of Galadhrim Warriors...

My initial question is: what would be the most sensible way to build up a decent size collection (100 models or so) ? I'm focusing mainly on Elves, both Heroes and Warriors from Rivendell, Lothlorien & Mirkwood. Should I use the Games Workshop website ? Local dealer ? Ebay ?

Any advice would be great - thanks much !

Post subject: Re: Beginner...looking build
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello, and welcome to the One Ring :)

Firstly, you chose some nice models for your first ones. I love the Helms Deep Haldir and I have quite a few Galadhrim plastics myself (IMO not as nice as the metals, although there was basically no variation in the metals :? )

In terms of heroes, I would personally go with ebay, as there are loads of metal heroes on there e.g. Glorfindel and the old armoured Elrond. The only thing with this point is that I don't tend to see the newer heroes on ebay, such as the new Elrond.

As for the troops, I have never bought any standard warriors on ebay, because I don't tend to need too many (I don't game), but big job lots do tend to pop up now and then. If you were planning a big order, you would definitely save more by going through an independent retailer, however I think GW have restricted shipping on their products from independents. I'm not quite sure on this though, so if anyone else has information on this issue, please add :)

Hope that helps :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think the first thing I would suggest is that you shouldn't worry necessarily about quantity so much as the kind of force to intend to own. I tend to be more of a scenario gamer so that means I'll purchase what I need to play the stories. Do you want to play competitively or do you just want an interesting looking themed force?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to the OR! As to your question all three are good options. Not any one of those three will have everything you're looking for. And there are advantages to each. My advice would be to prioritize what you'd like to buy and then shop around to see where you can get it cheapest

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for quick replies and the advice ! I've checked ebay a bit but it seems so 'all over the place', you know ? Some painted, some not...some metal, some not, incomplete sets...and the prices are all over the place ! I see lots of what appear to be bargains and they're listed right next to prices that are higher than GW prices for brand new stuff. Maybe I'll just stick with ordering thru GW online for now...

Not sure yet if I'll end up gaming with my models or just collecting and painting them - may depend on how the painting goes !

But if I do end up playing games - I'll throw in a complete novice question here as well - Can Legolas and others from Mirkwood lead Galadhrim warriors ? The Free Peoples Sourcebook lists Lothlorien and Mirkwood as being one region, with Eregion and Rivendell being the other region, so I thought that it would be ok....

Anyway, it's just great to have a site like this with so many knowledgable people to ask questions like this to and get answers - thanks all !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hi, is GW Bolton your local store? If so, I think I know who you are?

Welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ha - sorry, no...I'm in the States...need to update the location on my profile !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome to the hobby and The One Ring.

Good advice from others above.

I would just add, if cost is not going to kill you, then buy from GW and support your hobby, or an independent retailer. I always do when I can.

Ebay can be crazy, people are selling the stuff for more than you can buy it direct from GW! I use Ebay as well, but I'm a bottom feeder. I really only buy when it's cheap as hell. There can still be good deals to be found, but you have to check every few days, and just go slow and wait for bargins.

When you get around to painting, don't worry if it isn't master class. Just get painting and skill will come. It takes practice. I've been painting figures for 20+ years, and I am still working on improving my skills, changing my style as I learn new techniques. Lots of How to videos on You Tube.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Go eBay 100% I've spent as much there on 5 Armies as I did on 2 or 3 previously crappy ones from gw.

What I did being in your situation is find the easiest to get basic warriors of your force and heroes look for them in auctions. But really try to have in mind what you want to have for your army. Cause if you don't you'll over and under buy. I've done both.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For High elves, really you want Gil-Galad, Glorfindel, Erestor and a bunch of high elf warriors.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ja33 wrote:
Can Legolas and others from Mirkwood lead Galadhrim warriors ?

Yes they can, though the most recent figures (Mirkwood rangers and Palace guard) form a different list.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sounds good, thanks all for the advice...I think I have a good plan now, as I'll try to build up a nice Elf list using both GW and ebay to try to build up my collection and I am going to shoot for the following:

Warband 1
Haldir (Helm's Deep)
12x Galadhrim Warriors (4x bows, 4x blade, 4x spear & shield)

Warband 2
Rumil

Warband 3
Legolas

Warband 4
Tauriel
12x Wood Elf Warriors (4x bows, 4x blade, 4x spear)

Warband 5
Glorfindel (with heavy armour)
8x High Elves (4x bow, 4x blade)

Warband 6
Erestor (w/heavy armour)

Warband 7
Elladan & Elrohir

This list represents a combo of my favorite Elves and also the knowledge I gleaned from reading about 250 different posts on this site ! People really love the twins, eh ? Anyway, It's obviously a very "hero-heavy" list, and I didn't even calculate all the points as I'm not likely bringing them to battle anytime soon (need to buy and paint first !) But my goal is to build up a good, well-rounded Elven force that looks nice. Then if I'm able to start gaming at some point, I'd have a really good list to pick and choose from to then use. If this a good plan or am I being too ambitious ???

By the way, assembled Haldir and 12x Galadhrim last night - and it took about 2 hours ! I must not be very good at this yet, but there's only one way to learn !
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ja33 wrote:

Warband 4
Tauriel
12x Wood Elf Warriors (4x bows, 4x blade, 4x spear)

I like the models you have selected, a nice variety and they should look great when finished :) One thing, Tauriel can't lead wood elf warriors currently (might change in future updates) so instead try getting a box set of Mirkwood Rangers. It will give you more options, the models look great and you can play Tauriel with a warband :D If you still want variety you could change the 12 Galadhrim in Legolas's warband and give him wood elves to lead instead 8)

Don't worry about the painting and assembling, that comes with experience. I am still terrible at it :oops:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Spear and shield high elves are a lot better and try fill up your warbands.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A couple extra points to add about your lists. First, your high elf contingent has too many bows: each army has a 33% limit, so some spear + shield high elves, or more blades, are required; or take Gildor with some wood elves with spears upgraded to Noldorin Exiles.

Blades aren't as useful as they would seem. It looks like you're working with the base contents of the box sets, but it's a sad truth about this game that most of the box sets aren't very optimized. For example, if you had a warband of wood elves, something more optimal might be 4 bows, 2 blades + throwing daggers, 6 spear + throwing daggers.

Galadhrim are a little worse IMHO, because I'd rather have a wood elf with a blade + TD, than a Galadhrim warrior with a blade. That extra armour is often useless in evil combat (good against S3, but no better against S4), and is always useless against evil shooting (which is S2 or S4).

Of course, nothing to say you can't have fun with what you've got, but if your opponents start optimizing their armies you'll probably end up needing a few more boxes with a lot more discarded figures.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yep, I'm very "box dependent" right now, since I'm just starting out and trying to build up without breaking the bank, you know ? Agree with you whafrog, and others, about adding some spear & shield high elves, but those are $26 (US) for a box of just 4 of them ! To fill out my 3 High Elf warbands, I'd drop almost $80 getting the necessary 3 boxes and would have new 12 figures to show for it. Yikes....

For that same $80, I could buy 3 boxes of Last Alliance figures and have 24 more high elves (plus 16 more of those pesky Numenorans), or I could get 36 more Galadhrim Warriors for that same price. Or perhaps even more enticing, I could buy Erestor, Glorfindel, Rumil, the twins, and the new Legolas all for about the same $80 !

I really can't decide...maybe I should just get them all, but then again, the wife might flip out if I dropped $250 on miniatures !

thanks to all for the feedback...BTW, just starting painting Haldir and my new Galadhrim this past weekend and it's going ok so far. Maybe I'll risk embarrassment and will post some pictures and see what everyone thinks...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just try building a smaller army first with more effective ratios. Last alliance elves are worth getting on ebay because they're so cheap.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi all - I wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their great advice on building an Elven army from scratch...

As suggested by many of you, I used ebay to get some great bargains to add to my initial GW purchases (Haldir & 12 Galadhrim warriors), and I've been able to add 16 high elves (8 & 8), the entire Fellowship (metal), and just for fun, I grabbed 24 mordor orcs on a bargain !

I then went back to GW online to grab the high end stuff: 4 High Elves w/spear & shield....Rumil....Erestor....Celeborn w/armour and...Glorfindel w/armour !

I then completed the suggested trifecta by hitting one of my local stores to grab a box of hunter orcs on wargs and I even found a metal cave troll !

I guess I'll be assembling & painting for the next few weeks, but wanted to say thanks again to all for the advice....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds great, hope you enjoy. You might consider starting a WIP thread... :)