All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:29 pm

Post subject: Funny Rohan discussion/army help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, I put this in army but its an army/general lotr discussion.

First off the main body, being the Army Help...

So I was looking into Rohan and I seem to see there is literally no way to make a fluffy Rohan army with any named heros besides Eorl the Young?

All of the other models can be put in one, but he is so far before. Why not even one other named hero made up. Its terrible.
And the other part of my topic title: Eowyn....so I get during the war of the ring she went there and Erkenbrand stayed to guard Rohan.....

So was he and everyone else in charge like huh I dont care where Eowyn went no biggie. Shes probably out in the woods chillin. Or oh no oh no we cant tell the king, we cant tell the king lol.

Lol anyone know any insight into this?

And furthermore LMAO whats with Grimbold!? Is he like the Dewfey character from the scary movies/Dewey from scream?

ALL of Rohan are like expert riders and can ride a horse. Hes like the only one in the kingdom who cant mount lol. Is he like, the one guy who just doesnt get it? Did he have some weird back injury when he was a kid or have some horse ptsd from some sort of accident? Lol I just find it hilarious. Its like Rohan wargear horse horse horse.......Grimbold.....horse horse.

Edit: I guess I read his wargear saying hes more wild like the hillmen of Dunland but still....anyone have lotr knowledge for me?

=====================================================
And now for my army....I just thought, Rohan, all cavalry really needs like more troops, might, courage, and other such things to survive. And trust me, Im not trying to copy an all cavalry trend but uh.....really....what else are you supposed to do with Rohan? They are horrible on foot.

Not gonna give points...just a general idea....can an army like this work:

Eowyn Meriadoc Erkenbrand and gamling on horse with banner that rejuvenates might

A few Sons of Eorl about 6-10 outriders, and the rest a mix of redshields and riders of rohan?

Anyone ever tried Gamling and his banner?

Seems too costly....the way I see it a pt of might costs 5. And for paying for his banner back, you need to restore 10 ppls might. I dont see more than like 5-7 being restored at the MOST and generally, he can die easily before that.

Post subject: Re: Funny Rohan discussion/army help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In the film, during Theoden's epic speech at the Pelennor Fields, he tells Grimbold to take his men down the flank.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ah really? Were they all on foot?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes, if you're trying to keep within an ages of the world theme then you can't include Eorl alongside any of the other named characters. However, a little creativity goes a long way and there's nothing to stop you using the profiles of other named Rohan heroes as different heroes alive at the time of Eorl.

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Anyone ever tried Gamling and his banner?

Seems too costly....the way I see it a pt of might costs 5. And for paying for his banner back, you need to restore 10 ppls might.

I have indeed but I wouldn't include him at this level, he gives Might back to Rohan heroes so he gets better the more Rohan Heroes you have in your army. I've used him at 1000 points to great effect where he can top up his peers frequently. However, it is a hard model to use effectively as it takes effect at the start of the turn. You need to position Gmaling next to a Hero that you think will have no Might in the previous turn and hope that neither of them get moved by the results of combats. If it took affect during Gamling's move it would be far more effective. Also remember that Gamling will get a -1 to Duel rolls with the banner which is a huge disadvantage for a hero, particually in small games where you don't have many heroes.

However, don't forget that Gamling's banner is also, y'know, a banner! So when you're considering points costs, the special rule actually only costs 25 points so would 'only' need to restore 5 Might per game to make it's points back. Also, a banner carried by a Hero is 'worth' more as the Hero is harder to kill than a warrior so maybe Gamling's banner is actually worth 30 points before you start to consider the special rule.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:09 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dr Grant wrote:
However, don't forget that Gamling's banner is also, y'know, a banner! So when you're considering points costs, the special rule actually only costs 25 points so would 'only' need to restore 5 Might per game to make it's points back. Also, a banner carried by a Hero is 'worth' more as the Hero is harder to kill than a warrior so maybe Gamling's banner is actually worth 30 points before you start to consider the special rule.

That's a good point. I've always looked at that as such a steep price to pay, but with Rohan I'm most concerned with fluff over effect so I'd still field Gamling lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow I always forget that. Fantastic point!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd say in gameplay terms might is worth more than five points, especially if you have an infinite supply. Look at Aragorn. With all the rohan heroes you basically get his rule when they run out of might. Totally worth it in bigger games.

Eowyn wise, the ride did take place over a short time and they didn't exactly have e-mail. She could conceivably pull a mulan, especially as the chaos of preparation would have obscured her movements.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The worth of Might is a highly subjective area, sometimes a single point of Might can be worth 250 points (turning a 5 to a six to take the last wound on a dragon) and sometimes it can be worth 0 (calling a Heroic Strike, rolling a 1 and not beating your opponent's Fight value.

The Might point = 5 points idea comes from how GW price their heroes, it's part of their basic algorithm. If you take a bog standard captain for most races, adding 5 points per stat increase and 5 points per Might/Will/Fate increase should (and normally does) lead you to a named Hero's point value. It's not a fool-proof system but it does often stack up well.

So there we go, it's certainly an arbitrary number but that's where the idea that a Might point is worth 5 points comes from

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I understand all that that's exactly where I was going with this. I think even a 750 pt army would be good because you def have 4 war bands and 3 heroes to replenish.