All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:17 pm

Post subject: Far Harad/Mahud Army 1500pts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So just looking for some wisdom for this new army I'm thinking on building so all comments and criticism welcome! Here goes:

Warband 1 - 195pts Total
Knight of Umbar
w/ Horned Fell Beast

Warband 2 - 301pts Total
Balthazar, Mahud King
w/ War Camel, War Spear, Shield

x12 Mahud Raiders - 216pts
w/ x6 War Spears, X6 Blowpipes

Warband 3 - 165pts Total
Vaess, Mahud Tribesmaster
w/ War Spear, Shield

x12 Mahud Warriors - 105pts
w/ x6 Blowpipes, x3 Spears

Warband 4 - 319pts Total
Vologan, Mahud Tribesmaster
w/ War Camel, War Spear, Shield

x6 Mahud Raiders - 108pts
w/ x6 War Spears

x6 Half Trolls of Far Harad - 141pts
w/ x3 Two-Handed Weapons

Warband 5 - 530pts Total
War Mumak of Far Harad
w/ Gnarled Hide, Mahud Beastmaster, Rappelling lines, Sigils of Defiance, Tusk Weapons

x12 Mahud Warriors - 105pts
w/ x6 Blowpipes, x3 Spears

Total - 1490pts

As I said CONSTRUCTIVE Comments only please! Thanks, Barrel Rider!

Last edited by Barrel Rider on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Far Harad/Mahud Army 1500pts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like the list a lot! However with my Mahud Army I take all my Mahud with blowpipes because there isn't a 'bow limit' applied to them! And perhaps try fit in a few more half trolls with spear support they can be deadly!

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well welcome to the One Ring.
I personally think you don't need rapelling lines for the Mumak, but the stones upgrade could be useful as the riders of the Howdah don't count as moving when the Mumak moves.
My only other concern would simply be numbers. (Which may be why you included the aforementioned lines), you've got 53 models on the table (including the Mumak) which isn't terrible but you've got nearly 650 points sunk into two models (Nazgul and Mumak) so that's more than a third of your points right there.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work by any means, I just get concerned when I sink such a large portion of my points into a couple models as if they're gone you're suddenly at a large disadvantage and it can often be hard for higher points units to earn their points back.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you both for replying! To rigg, I did not know that the bow limit does not apply to blowpipes so thank you for the info. However I do not know if I shall give the entire army blowpipes as it will raise the cost and I do not know if having a blowpipe means you cant have any other weapon! As for the trolls I did not know they could be given spears as it isn't in the profile! if you mean some more Mahud with spears supporting them I am planning to have Warband 3 follow the half trolls and offer them support and covering fire! To James, thank you for the welcome! I am enjoying this site very much and will defiantly be staying. I think I will take your advice and will swap out rappelling lines with Rocks! and see how it goes. I will also change it so the 12 men in the howdah have all blowpipes! I also might revise this with a 2000pts list as that will make the Mumak and the Nazgul only worth a just over a quarter of the points! That would mean that I could add some more half trolls and on foot models also increasing the size of the army! But please advice me if this is a good idea and also looking through the army book I found the Black Numenoreans and thought they would look great with the Knight of Umbar! But please advice me if this is a good idea extending the army or if it will end up badly , Barrel Rider.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm sorry but a 1500pts 53 models is terrible. I would say you want at least 7 full warbands.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Barrel Rider wrote:
Thank you both for replying! To rigg, I did not know that the bow limit does not apply to blowpipes so thank you for the info. However I do not know if I shall give the entire army blowpipes as it will raise the cost and I do not know if having a blowpipe means you cant have any other weapon! As for the trolls I did not know they could be given spears as it isn't in the profile! if you mean some more Mahud with spears supporting them I am planning to have Warband 3 follow the half trolls and offer them support and covering fire! To James, thank you for the welcome! I am enjoying this site very much and will defiantly be staying. I think I will take your advice and will swap out rappelling lines with Rocks! and see how it goes. I will also change it so the 12 men in the howdah have all blowpipes! I also might revise this with a 2000pts list as that will make the Mumak and the Nazgul only worth a just over a quarter of the points! That would mean that I could add some more half trolls and on foot models also increasing the size of the army! But please advice me if this is a good idea and also looking through the army book I found the Black Numenoreans and thought they would look great with the Knight of Umbar! But please advice me if this is a good idea extending the army or if it will end up badly , Barrel Rider.

You can take Blowpipes and spears, taking one doesn't eliminate another, so don't worry!
And yes sorry i meant mahud spearsmen supporting half trolls.
I wouldn't take black numenoreans unless you really want heavy infantry, rather I would advice you take the Knight of Umbar from the 'Mordor' list which means you can also take morgul knights! They in my experience work a lot better because their terror can sometimes stop those pesky counter charges that cavalry hate! They along with the mounted Knight of Umbar would look sweet!

I have a 1000pnt Far Harad Army I run:
- Mahud King (all wargear) with 6 raiders with blowpipes and warspears, 3 half trolls, 3 mahud with spears and blowpipes
- Tribesmaster (shield and blowpipe) with 3 half trolls, 3 mahud with blowpipes, 6 mahud with spears and blowpipes
- Tribesmaster (shield and blowpipe) with 5 Watchers of Karna with bows and 5 Haradrim warriors with spears
- Mumak with 9 Haradrim with bows

48 units - 21 blowpipes, 14 bows

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you for replying again Riggs! Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding of the blowpipes and spears and for advising me on the Black Numenoreans. Since you have an accomplished army could you please take the original army list (with Rocks! instead of Rappelling lines and x12 blowpipes in the howdah) and add 500pts making a 2000pts army so that I could see what you would do with it from here! Thanks in advance, Barrel Rider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

With your 507 points left perhaps add some spice:
Hasharin
- 12 Watchers of Karna with bow (one of my favourite units, plus they live in an abandoned city in Far Harad that once belonged to the greatest King to rise from Far Harad)

Harad Chieftain
- 6 haradrim warriors with spear and bow
- 5 haradrim warriors with bow
- 1 haradrim warrior with bow and warhorn (the raise that [word deleted] mahud courage)
(this warband is for numbers because you severally lack them)

With the knight of umbar attach
- 7 morgul knights (hard hitting, high defence, terror causing cavalry whats not to like)

That would be now your 2000 point force. (its gonna be expensive with the mahud so perhaps find proxies?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Riggs! I agree with the hasharin and the watchers and also the haradrim allies because of dat courage! The morgal knights are also a fantastic idea so they can run down any who flee the nazgul! Now I hate hate hate to be a noob but I have no idea what proxies are! Sorry I feel like such an idiot! Also should I keep the knight of umbar on fell beast or an armored horse? Thanks so much for helping me out with this :) Barrel Rider.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Barrel Rider wrote:
Now I hate hate hate to be a noob but I have no idea what proxies are!

Everyone was a noob once upon a time :)

Proxies are using one model to stand in for another, useful for home games, but not allowed in tournaments. Say you don't want to buy an Uruk Hai Captain, you can always alter a plastic model or paint it in a unique way, so the plastic model becomes a proxy for the captain.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Barrel Rider wrote:
Now I hate hate hate to be a noob but I have no idea what proxies are!

Everyone was a noob once upon a time :)

Proxies are using one model to stand in for another, useful for home games, but not allowed in tournaments. Say you don't want to buy an Uruk Hai Captain, you can always alter a plastic model or paint it in a unique way, so the plastic model becomes a proxy for the captain.

Thanks for that! I don't think I will need proxies as my local hobby centre is holding a small 1 warband a week thing and I think it will be a while till a large campaign by which time they should be bought and painted anyways! Thanks for the help again! Barrel Rider