All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 25/02
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thorin wrote:
A missing nose tip? That's definitely not good. It is not that easily fixable, or at least, wasn't for me

I can agree with this. I've had a couple of finecast minis turn up with bubbles on the nose and they were quite a fiddly fix. It's entirely your decision as to whether it is enough for you to raise it with GW customer services, perhaps if the cast is otherwise fine then leave it be.
 Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 25/02
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Regarding Treebeard, after not hearing anything from GW for a few days after I sent the email, I rang them yesterday. They said I could either bring the model back to the store, or freepost it back to them. I don't fancy freeposting it back, so I'll most likely try get into the store sometime next week. I actually need some black spray, so I was going to have to go in soon enough anyway.

Now, in relation to actual minis, Grinnah and the first seven goblins from efgt are finished :D

I actually love how these turned out, and my new (extremely simple) photography set-up really helps. Here are some shots of the movement trays that are going to be used to display the goblin horde once they are all done:

You can see what I mean now by using 'filler' bases (look at the painted base beside Grinnah). These are just plain rock bases that fill a spot in the movement tray, and also allow larger bases to hang over them. It means I can use bases of all different wood sizes :)

And to give a rough idea of the display set-up:

Looks promising to me :D

And now I'm looking for some opinions, if you would be so kind :)

My plan over the next few months is to complete the painting and then display all the contents of efgt box, before I start on anything else. As you can see, eight goblins are painted already. However, I reckon now that three models is the most comfortable number for me to batch paint (yes, I know, three isn't the biggest batch :lol: ), so I was thinking of doing three goblins, then a dwarf hero, three goblins, another dwarf, etc etc. This will break up the somewhat monotonous task of painting 36 goblins in one go :shock:

So basically, next on my painting desk is going to be a dwarf (I'm thinking of starting with Kili). But I'm torn between how I will do the metals: NMM or just very very very realistic metallics? Which is easier, or better still, which, in your opinion, provides the best and most realistic results? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 01/03
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ok a few questions here.
The goblins look great, maybe a little pale for me but I don't really like the sculpts or the colour scheme that was chosen. That is not against your painting though, just my opinion from when I saw them released.
The bases are fantastic, the best goblin bases I've seen.
Your alternate batch painting system seems sound to me and shouldn't cause any problems. I wouldn't paint in any bigger numbers.
If you feel confident enough go for NMM, I think it can look stunning if done well.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the input Gandalf, much appreciated, as always 8)

I understand your feelings about the sculpts and the GW colour scheme, I feel the same way about some other models :o Looking at my goblins there though, I do think the colour of their skin contrasts well with the bases :) The last thing I'd want is them just being brownish blobs stuck in a movement tray :lol: But again, thanks for the opinions, always welcomed :)

Regarding the metallics, I am more leaning towards NMM, although I actually have never done it before :shock: Still, gotta start somewhere :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Right so, because my next bit of painting will be starting on one of the dwarves from efgt, I had to first do their bases. These are basically the same as the ones for the goblins, except there are no 'filler bases', as I wanted to keep the display to two movement trays, and so the final empty space (only fifteen of Thorin's Co. remember) was filled with the weapon pile. Anyway, here are the bases:

They'll have to wait until I can get another can of spray before being undercoated. Since study for college took up most of the day today (these exams are going to arrive pretty quickly :shock: ), I only got the bases done really, and a tidy up of my workstation:

The plastic container on the right of the desk is going to be used as a wet palette, because I'm fed up of my paints drying halfway through painting :-X Also, you can see Kili waiting patiently on the desk, hopefully he'll be prepared and basecoated tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice tidy work station. I wish I had a permanent spot, the kitchen table for me which is a pain unpacking and packing after each session.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I love your goblins I think they are fantastically painted and the basing is amazing!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gandalf the Grey wrote:
Nice tidy work station.

I am quite lucky that the parents kind of gave me the old playroom once my sister and I grew out of the toy stage :) Its full of guitars, video games, and of course loads of models now. Actually, I still have a storage problem, I have next to no leg room under the desk there, as it is chock full of boxes of minis :shock: I am looking into getting one of these detolf cabinets from ikea, they seem to be good for the price.

Omeus wrote:
I love your goblins I think they are fantastically painted and the basing is amazing!!

Thank you very much, only about 30 left to go :lol:

Anyway, Kili is now undercoated and good to go :D (I should rally buy a can of skull white undercoat though :roll: )

Fantastic detail on this model, which unfortunately you can't really see in the photo, I hope to do it justice :) Now, a word of warning here, the painting progress on Kili will be veeeeeery slow, for a few reasons. One being, I paint very slowly anyway :lol: But also, he is a hero model, and generally people spend more time painting them than the regular rank and file, as heroes stand out more. But more importantly, I paint for display, and after having a great time trawling through CMON (when I should have been studying really, shhhh), I have been inspred to try do a realistic-as-possible paintjob. This has involved me researching techniques to texture cloth so it looks woven or knitted, and also how to paint realistic leather. And of course, my skin work needs to be improved.

So anyway, I'm going to start with the skin, so we shall see how it goes :) I hope you shall be patient :lol:

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 04/03
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I will be watching with interest on this, as I love it when people take the next step forward in their painting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
I will be watching with interest on this, as I love it when people take the next step forward in their painting.

It shall be 'interesting' anyway Gandalf :lol:

Yesterday I managed to basecoat the skin, wash it with ogryn flesh, then washed the recesses with a mix of devlan mud and baal red (all watered down of course). Looks good so far to the naked eye and magnified, but not showing up great on the camera really, I'll have to see what I can do about that :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As a little tip, use a touch of purple or blue in your mix for the recessed areas, the cold colour helps create depth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok, so here is the first proper update on Kili. The skin is finished. Even though it doesn't show at all on the photos (the lighting was terrible and dark when I snapped this), there actually is a lot of depth and layering to the skin, particularly the face. The skin still isn't that bright now, Gandalf, I actually had a tiny bit of grey in all the mixes, but that is how I like my skin, I don't like to highlight overly bright, I like to keep it dull and muted. It still has depth though, I have definitely improved on that, just trust me, it looks much better in real life :)

After the initial steps made in the last post, I washed into the recesses with a small bit of grey, then layered up the highlights with a mix of Tallarn Flesh/Dark Flesh/Dwarf Flesh/Dawnstone, adding in some elf flesh and skull white for the final highlights. I then lightly glazed the lips with that previous mix mixed with scab red. Then of course the glazes of tallarn Flesh/Scorched Brown/Chaos Black for the facial hair (its honestly not as dark as it appears, damn lighting :roll: )

Anyway, next is the bluey undershirt and hood :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 06/03
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That looks smooth, nice blending. A good start mate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Kili has been shelved for the minute, but I will return to him, never fear! Meanwhile, here is what I'm currently working on: http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28280

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Woah, been a while folks! I have been busy, unfortunately not busy painting models! Anyway, I do have an update, in the form of Frodo and Sam in orc armour:

All prepped and basecoated:

No photos of painting stages though, but here is the development of the base:

And the finished product:

I apologise for the massive pictures, photobucket doesn't seem to like me at the mo :roll: Anyway, not my best work, but altogether it only took a few hours between yesterday and today, I enjoyed it, and it still looks well I think :) C & C welcome!

Next, I've decided to try enter the diorama competition, it'll give me the motivation hopefully to do a scene I've wanted to recreate for a while! More to come!

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's WIP (Pic Heavy) Update 10/09
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That base for Frodo and Sam is excellent, really well thought out and executed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like Goblins on raised, floating, individual, wood planks. I have seen it done by many people and just never looks right to me. I actually don't know why Peter Jackson makes all orcy things crude as if they can't use a hammer or smith yet they have more experience than men and probably elves at equipping an army. The wood is painted awesome though and the goblins look good.

Frodo and Sam look fantastic, and that is a scenic base I can understand.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lovely diorama. The terrain is excellent. Some other nice stuff in here too. What became of Kili?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies :)

Regarding the base for Frodo and Sam, it is actually very simple, as you can see from the pictures. I have a couple of old spare lengths of wood, so I cut it to the desired height (width and length both being a nice sized 50mm x 50mm), then cut it diagonally with a hacksaw and roughed it up with some files. I decided to add the veneer because the wood grain isn't anything spectacular on the actual wood, but because I sprayed it, it isn't actually a necessary step (you can actually still see that there is wood grain from the veneer under the paint though, but it doesn't come out in the photos!)

In terms of the goblins, each to their own, but I appreciate the compliment on the painting, thank you :)

And Kili has been shelved for the minute, but he will get finished sometime! I have started making some progress on the diorama, and hopefully will get an update on it this evening, for the meantime, all I will say is that Finecast dust is not the ideal thing to be inhaling :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What a great looking display piece you've made there, not overly cluttered and all the better for it so the miniatures are the focus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next