All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:24 am

Post subject: The Hobbit Range Up coming releases!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... e=athletic

Apparently we have a battle report in WD as well.

The only thing is that I was bought a Beorn for Christmas and am angry at having to buy another one in fine cast if I want to own the bear, also Mount Gundabad orcs great, but at £5 a pop and in finecast no thanks!

A year ago I would literally be counting down the days to such releases, but now I am simply not buying anything. They have abused the customers with little tricks like selling Beorn separately, so that you have to buy him several times, and is anyone out there going to be buying basic troops at £5 each. If they were £15-£20 for 10-20 of them i'd be buying an army of them!
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Range Up coming releases!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28234&start=140

Join the discussion.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:47 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'll be buying all of it as usual. I don't see it as GW abusing customers by selling Beorn separately at all, How many Gandalfs , Legolas, Thranduils, for example do we have ?and did the sell them altogether? nope, and did we buy them? we sure did.
Sure the cost is higher than it used to be but is it worth it? Sure it is, as soon as you finish painting a model and you sit back and look at it - its priceless.

Of course for you gamers and army builders out there i can see the problem with the finecast clam packs of three basic infantry as it does add up trying to flesh out your forces, sign of the times I'm afraid. Price of everything has risen sharply around us. This is not some ploy or little trick being employed strictly by GW its widespread unfortunately and we just have to accept that if we want to continue furthering our collections its going to cost more.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nick put it perfectly on the Facebook page. To make plastic models, it costs upwards of£30k. They're not gonna risk spending that money on a system that isn't guaranteed to sell.

Stop moaning and groaning and support your hobbit hobby while you can.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with DMS and SouthernDunedain and I will eventually be adding most of the new releases to my collection including quite probably both man forms of Beorn. However the one aspect I don't really get is the new one click collections. They are a large bundle of minis so you are shelling out a lot in one go but you gain nothing on buying them all individually.

If you saved even a small amount or got even one mini free for buying in bulk like this it would encourage me to buy, but as it stands I'll just hold off and buy them separately as funds become available. I would certainly get the barrels out of bond collection if there was any kind of incentive to the bundle.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks like there's a Gandalf in the ambush at Amon hen collection...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey, stop complaining about your five-pound Orcs. In Ireland they're 20 euro.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bilbo wrote:
Apparently we have a battle report in WD as well.

Don't get your hopes us, it's 4 pages all in, it'll make a nice read but it's not like a Battle Report of old. Still, it's certainly more SBG content than we've had for over a year.

Bilbo wrote:
A year ago I would literally be counting down the days to such releases, but now I am simply not buying anything. They have abused the customers with little tricks like selling Beorn separately, so that you have to buy him several times

Abuse? Hardly. They're a business trying to make money. I do think it's frustrating that they released them this way around. If you release the twin pack first then you give the players the option of buying the alternate man pose, this way if you've bought him on foot you have to buy both. BUT, as someone who has already bought and painted the other foot pose I really don't mind, SBG has always been a collecting hobby for me, I've got plenty of poses of Leggy, Gandalf, Aragorn etc. so why not 2 of Beorn? As DMS said, in the early days of Fellowship you had to constantly buy duplicated characters to get new poses and people didn't complain then, it was a cool hobby aimed at passionate LOTR collectors, exciting new Gandalf/Aragorn poses were greeted with whoops pf delight - now, 10 years, on, GW are being torn apart for doing exactly the same ting with the Hobbit. I personally really like the new Man pose so would be happy to add it to my collection.

Bilbo wrote:
and is anyone out there going to be buying basic troops at £5 each. If they were £15-£20 for 10-20 of them i'd be buying an army of them!

Of course, as would we all but that's completely unrealistic. Even if they were plastic they would be 10 for £25 under their current pricing. In answer to your question, yes, a lot of people will be buying them, just like a lot of people bought the Laketowners. I think they have decent, if not spectacular rules and I think the models are cool. You won't be able to buy them in a few years and I don't want o look back thinking: "Man, I don't have any of those OOP models that I really want but thank God I saved this £60 three years ago"

Zirak-Zigil wrote:
If you saved even a small amount or got even one mini free for buying in bulk like this it would encourage me to buy, but as it stands I'll just hold off and buy them separately as funds become available. I would certainly get the barrels out of bond collection if there was any kind of incentive to the bundle.

You're right of course and the GW from years ago certainly would have offered a tasty bundle discount. Alas, those days are long gone and this is their current strategy, they don't offer any discount on their 'deals', it's company wide, not something that just afflicts SBG. I remember a while back that had a scenery bundle for £1300 that didn't save you a penny - who's the market for that? Finally, surely the biggest head-scratcher moment is their entire Chapter of Ultramarines:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od2160196a

£7000 and you don't save a penny on the models! :-) At least you get some unique artwork though...

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
"Man, I don't have any of those OOP models that I really want but thank God I saved this £60 three years ago"

I've been thinkin' like that lately and have bought several lotr sets I've look upon for years but thinkin' they were expensive to get. Now I try to get as many as I can, 'cause as you say they're not around forever :)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Barnsley Burglar wrote:

LOL, yeah! Big fail... :-D
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hill-Troll wrote:
Barnsley Burglar wrote:

They don't gather the models individually, they just throw together a collection of box sets. You don't have to use him, and GW aren't going to take a model out of a brand new set just to appease to the folks who want it to be completely accurate.

Think about it: most of us already have the Fellowship in their various forms, Lurtz, Uruks by the bucket, etc. This kind of set appeals to newcomers. What if people want to re-create Amon Hen, but also want to have the Fellowship? They'd then have to go and buy either a £12 DoS Gandalf or £20 Bilbo & Gandalf Clampack (can't recall if Rivendell Gandalf is still available, but that'd still be an extra £7.70).

Surely you'd then complain that GW are selling incomplete sets in an effort to spite the customer and make you go out of your way to find a Gandalf to complete the set?

I swear... damned if they do, damned if they don't.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Don't get your hopes us, it's 4 pages all in, it'll make a nice read but it's not like a Battle Report of old. Still, it's certainly more SBG content than we've had for over a year

Dr Grant, is it worth a purchase in your opinion? I was in town this morning but forgot to pick it up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Zirak-Zigil wrote:
Dr Grant, is it worth a purchase in your opinion? I was in town this morning but forgot to pick it up.

It really depends on how you value the £2.40 price tag. It took me 20 minutes to read all the SBG content in it (and if you're interested in 40K there's about the same again for that). I enjoyed it over a cup of tea and I don't regret buying it but its hard to imagine going back to it very often. There's more SBG content in it than in the December BIG DOS release issue (i.e. actual editorial rather than lots and lots of pictures) and what there is is interesting enough to read. I would have been annoyed paying £5.50 for the old monthly White Dwarf and getting this much content but just being able to get this SBG-centred Weekly issue is nice. It's my first experience of reading a Weekly WD and it still feels like a nice, high-qulaity product. It's the price of half a pint or a small Starbucks coffee and is about as enjoyable and disposable, a pleasant way to spend half an hour but it won't unduly change your life :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cheers. I probably will get it so and do likewise, read it over a brew!! If it had been the old monthly one for €8 I wouldn't have bothered but like you said its not that expensive and its certainly nice to get a little extra content for SBG rather than purely pics of the new models. Thanks, helpful as always!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like these official pics better than the leaked, Especially the gundabad captain he's first on my list now

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hill-Troll wrote:
Barnsley Burglar wrote:

Don't forget that even the "Breaking of the Fellowship" box from a few years back had a Gandalf in it, despite the "Breaking" technically taking place at Amon Hen.

Damn, I really wish I'd picked up 10 of that set now! They're selling for big bucks! (Which also ties in to the "should I save my money or buy what I want" debate.)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
Damn, I really wish I'd picked up 10 of that set now! They're selling for big bucks! (Which also ties in to the "should I save my money or buy what I want" debate.)

Me too, I'd love to pick up that boxed set. Knighty Knight - wasn't a complaint (I don't think you'll find a complaint from myself about GW if you try!), simply an observation :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I do find it a little odd that the collection doesn't include the (excellent) actual Ambush at Amon Hen set, that's still available though:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1500432a

Guess they're more aimed at building armies speedily.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I appreciate them giving LOTR/Hobbit more love but I don't see the point of the bundles if there is no discount.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
I like these official pics better than the leaked, Especially the gundabad captain he's first on my list now

Have to say I really do like those Gundabad models, much better than Morannons, and they are functionally equivalent. Definitely worth a warband. Glad they reduced the pike to spear for thematic reasons, there are already too many forces out there more disciplined and capable than Gondor and Numenor...