All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:27 pm

Post subject: Cavalry charge questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So, there are a few things unclear to me about cavalry charges and I hoped someone could help me out.

Correct/False:
1: You charge a model on foot but get countercharged by another foot model; you keep your bonusses.

2: You charge a model on foot but get countercharged by a mounted model; you lose your bonusses.

3.1: You are charged by a model on foot but able to countercharge with a mounted model; Only the second mounted model gets an extra attack.
3.2: You win said fight, the opponent's model is knocked down; All your models get double strikes.

4: You charge a model with a mounted model and a model on foot. You win the fight; You get double strikes for all your models because the opponent's model is knocked down.

In the rules it clearly says that only cavalry models benefit from 'extra attack' and 'knocked to the ground'.
Knocked to the ground means the model is treated as prone and thus trapped.
Considering you've won the fight, all your models get to resolve strikes on the prone model. So all your models get double strikes, even if they're not cavalry, right?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Cavalry charge questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All are correct.

It is helpful to view models by their type - Infantry, Cavalry and Monster. Cavalry vs Cavalry cancels out any benefits and Cavalry vs Monster cancels out the knock down ruling. It is easier for new people to understand if it is put this way as each persons profile will say if they are Cavalry or Monster for the most part, the rest are considered infantry.

I also find it helpful to not think of it as double strikes. Yes you get your +1 attack for charging but people get confused and think that the double strikes is a separate rule - it is not, it is just that they are trapped. The best way for newbies is to roll your normal strikes then declare he is trapped because he is knocked prone and then roll the same strikes again.

One thing I might add - if you have multiple models in 1 fight vs your cavalry such as Uruk pikes & Uruk shields, you need to roll separately to wound. I like to set aside one dice which says how many attacks I have (eg 3) and change it down every time I roll to wound (using the appropriate amount of dice each time). Even though I am rolling 6 dice to wound, I could only kill a maximum of 3 models, as I only have 3 attacks.

Like i said, you have it all correct as far as I understand. And one other thing, when a mount is killed and after your roll a 2-5 on thrown rider, the model cant do ANYTHING further that turn, no shooting, cant roll to wound or use special strikes but can shield.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks!
Glad to see I correctly interpreted the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i just want to add if your mount has a lance and has charged even if he got counter charged by a cav or monster cav he will still get the effect of the lance.