All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:31 pm

Post subject: Poss. Smaug Rules
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Obviously this is just going to be guess work and discussion but I'm bored and I thought this topic might get some discussion going and get out imagination fired, rules for Smaug!

How do we think GW will do it and how do you want the to do it. I personally have been thinking about this topic for a while now so thought it might be a good idea to ask few questions on it

1) Do you think they will make Smaug a dragon with all the dragon with all the upgrades and maybe some special rules or go more unique

2) How big do you want Smaug to be, this initially sounds like a fairly simple question MASSIVE but the bigger it is the more you run into control zones issues and terrain problems, fly counters this a bit but you can still see why a huge model might be problematic. Also think of the financial cost GW is going to wangle every £££ they can out of him

3) How powerful do you want Smaug to be again seems simple (stupendously) but again if he is a huge model with fantastic stats he might be to expensive to field consistently and may fall into the same role Sauron does of just being to expensive. Would you prefer a model that was less powerful but you were capable of using him more often so the hopefully great physical model doesn't spend the entire time sat out of view

4) What special rules do you want/expect him to have, personally dreading that they might give him some rule that makes him susceptible to bow fire therefore making him useless/venerable in game. I hope they do a rule making him bad against Bard and Girion e.g each wound they cause does D3 instead, therefore making him extremely vulnerable against them given there special rules as it should be given the lore but still badass against everyone else again as it should be in the lore. As for other special rules maybe something about his intellect (high courage maybe or more spells) his size he is the last great dragon maybe a special brutal strike (like Beorn has) or something to do with his lust for wealth.

So guys and girls let your imaginations run wild :)
 Post subject: Re: Poss. Smaug Rules
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1) I think he needs something diferent and unique

2) mumakil base least although he should be bigger like forgeworld chaos dragon

3) more or so the balrog´s line but a bit weaker, but with might and such instead

probably I would give him:

F8/3+ S9 D9 A4 W8 C6 5/5/2
all dragons rules
Maybe breat fire should be warhammer template
 Post subject: Re: Poss. Smaug Rules
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Always fun to try and guess what a models profile will be - back in the day I got the Mumak profile 90% correct - the only thing I got wrong about it were the bases, as my young mind couldn't conceive of such a massive base (and that there were riders between the legs in the movie is another reason).

Anyway, I think he will be a super powered dragon. At least on a mumak base, definitely going to have some terrain on the base/sculpt. GW has done it with some of the monsters like the watcher but this way they can include more tail & body. I wouldn't be surprised if they made an extra base size for him as they did it randomly for Azog.

Profile he would most simply be a dragon with fire, tough hide, fly and wyrmtongue i think would be special ruled or left out as we didn't really see it in the movie. He is referred to as a Dragon in the movie, but is actually a fire drake, so I wouldn't mind seeing him as an upgraded drake profile. He won't have slam/trample and GW has not used templates for anything else in the game so far, so we won't be seeing those. I think his profile will be more centered around how well he can survive a shot from a dwarf seige weapon and how easily he can kill dwarves (particularly heroes).

Finally, my profile:
F8/2+ S8 D8 A4 W7 C7 3/3/3
OR a "pumped up" profile to make him better vs Gil-Galad/Heroic Strike and Seige weapons
F9/2+ S9 D9 A4 W7 C7 1/6/1
Special rule: on a 4+, the breathe fire or spell is free.