All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 7:25 am

Post subject: Desolation of Stockport army discussion:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

From what I understand this'll be a pretty big event with alot of people the forum attending (yey), i figured I'd start a topic to discuss everyone's armies for the event.

I will be bringing the tried and tested monster mash - but am feeling a little wary of the DoS scenarios. My force can do rescue - my leader (Goblin King) is a tough nut, and my monsters can kill a surrounded leader no sweat. Similarly i am feeling good about being the defender at blockade - I'll have enough might to march off the board real quick. Being the attacker looks tough though; my only models with ranged powers are the blackshield shaman, dweller, and spider queen. Then there is seize the prize, which is all about not playing against a cavalry army, and heroic moving/marching if not.

Anyway,enough about me, what is everyone else bringing - anyone else in a conundrum?
 Post subject: Re: Desolation of Stockport army discussion:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pretty big? Joe #bioticgreen Horsfall, no room for understatement... it's going to be ginormous!! Still some tickets available people :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I see this as a cynical attempt to garner advantage by seeing other people's army lists, and then designing your own in response. I'm watching you lad!

But seriously, I haven't even read the scenario list yet, but am taking the army which is next on my painting shelf: Uruk Hai!

That is, if I can actually get them painted in time! 12 Berserkers almost finished, so on to some crossbowmen after that. However, the list certainly isn't created with the scenarios in mind.

One of the nice thing about tournaments is the deadline it provides for painting. These are getting speed painted, so won't win any competitions, but I'll feel better about having another 500 point force I can field. Veriety is the spice of life, and all that.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was more lookin to see if everyone else was havin trouble building around the DoS scenarios. To prove i ain't a counter-pickin wotsit my list is gunna be this, no takesies backsies:
Spider Queen
Goblin King
Mordor Troll Chief
Gundabad Blackshield Shaman
Dweller in the Dark

We gotta e-mail Ja'mie our lists by the 5th anyhoo so even if i was trying to be a meta-gamer i wouldn't have time too ;)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I was more lookin to see if everyone else was havin trouble building around the DoS scenarios. To prove i ain't a counter-pickin wotsit my list is gunna be this, no takesies backsies:
Spider Queen
Goblin King
Mordor Troll Chief
Gundabad Blackshield Shaman
Dweller in the Dark

We gotta e-mail Ja'mie our lists by the 5th anyhoo so even if i was trying to be a meta-gamer i wouldn't have time too ;)

I might not be adaquetly prepared for this...I'm just bringing what I feel like hahaha, ah well. It will be Harad that much is for sure and I've made sure there is cavalry for Seize the Prize (that is one of the scenarios, right?). :P

Thanks for reminding me to email the list. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No idea...I thought I had my list sorted but then vital flaws were brought to my attention so now I am back to the drawing board.

Stupid DoS scenarios...they ruin all my best laid plans :shock:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:

Ahhh, so HE'S the metagamer! Understood. Must crush underfoot. Foolishly undaunted by league position...

In fact, it's definitely that other fella. You know, the one with the Janky all cav lists. Grrrr!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I really like the new DoS scenarios because they are different and mean that you have a greater diversity of armies that will be good in each game and weak in others. for example i reckon my army will be good blockade(especially when I am the defender) and seize the prize, ok in rescue and to the death, but probably will suck in the take and hold.

so actually i am gonna predict me results while i am here:

Game 1 - Rescue (defender) - Draw*
Game 2 - Rescue (attacker) - Draw*

Game 3 - Blockade (defender) - Win
Game 4 - Blockade (attacker) - Win

Day 2
Game 5 - Seize the Prize - Win
Game 6 - to the death - Lose
Game 7 - Take and hold - Lose

*really depends on the opponents army

you may be able to guess the kinda army i am taking from that
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@king in the mountain: From those predictions the most obvious army i can think of is all eagles?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I really like the new DoS scenarios because they are different

I hate the new scenarios. Really havent been thought through by GW, the victory conditions are rubbish. With some tweaking, they could be really good but as they are? :no:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
@king in the mountain: From those predictions the most obvious army i can think of is all eagles?

pretty much, they do have a crazy old guy and rabbits helping them
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No issue with revealing my list, I'm totes going for the LOLS this time! :-)

List is Battle of Five Armies themed:

Thorin with Oakenshield and Pony
10 Warriors of Erebor with Shields (4 have spears)

Legolas with Elf Cloak and Armour
9 Mirkwood Rangers

Bilbo with Sting

All the warriors have been painted in the last 4 weeks so I'm mostly just really excited to be playing with all my new toys. I'm not at all worried about being competitive - who in their right mind takes Bilbo to a tournament!?!? :-) - which is a bit of luck as at least 5 of the scenarios (2x rescue, 2x Blockade, Seize the Prize) are all about speed and I'm bringing a bunch a 5" move dwarves and a Hobbit! I think it'll be a really fun army to play with though, I'm very excited about giving people some easy wins over the weekend! This'll be the one where you finally take revenge Joe! :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

if bilbo is your leader he would actually make a really good one for rescue and blockade
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice list Dr G. In normal scenarios, that'd probably be a tough army. The rangers deploy behind the D7 dwarves yeah?

heck, I'll reveal mine. Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Fimbul w/ Warg
2 Mtd Hunter Orcs
10 Hunter Orcs

Narzug w/ warg
2 Mtd Hunter Orcs
10 Hunter Orcs ( 8 w/ bow)

Shaman w/ warg
6 Morannons w/ shield
5 Morannons w/ spear.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:59 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Cheers Southy, yeah that's the broad plan, elves behind dwarves shooting the hell out of the enemy, they can't shoot back at the elves because of their cloaks and to do so they need to kill the D7 dwarves which elves and crossbows will need 6s and everything else will need 6s and 4s. meanwhile Leggy takes pot-shots at the leader. Once we close for combat I should have evened the numbers (I'm guessing an average of around 30 models) and they should all be able to hold their own in fights. Thorin makes for a tank of a leader at 500 points and the plan is to have Bilbo next to him to half the fight value of any hero/monster that comes after him + it'll be fluffy as hell to have Thorin and Bilbo fighting alongside one another! :-) As much as it's pure fluff I think it would actually do pretty well in the 6 normal scenarios, alas, not so much in the new ones.

In Seize the Prize I'll get there second, just have to hope the enemy fluffs their digging rolls.

I might be OK in rescue actually. As the Defender Thorin and 10 D7 dwarves, all with shields, should be able to hold out for a while while the elves come to rescue them. As the Attacker I reckon I've got the tools to take down the enemy leader relatively quickly.

Blockade will be tricky as defender as my leader moves slowly. As attacker I should be OK as I can go with the plan above, deploy deep and then just pepper them with 9 shots per turn while Leggy auto hits the leader.

To the Death and Take and Hold I should have a decent chance in.

So yeah, not too bad actually, I reckon I've got a fair chance in 4 of them, not much chance in 2 of them and then the same tiny chance as everyone else in the last one (Rescue as Defender).

Doesn't really bother me one jot though, as I said I'm in it for the fun!

Nice list Southy (I'm always relieved the see your Hunter Orcs rather than your Erebor!) although I'm quite surprised not to see the Shade. What's the thinking behind putting him in at 350 and not at 500? I think 350 was too small to have him have much effect as he eats up so many of your points but at 500 you could spam hunter orcs and spears and possibly create quite an intimidating battle-line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Unfortunately I can't reveal my list...its top secret...nods head...
I mean only my three loyal brothers in team cosy wosy know it... (Southern Dunedain, Muppetslayer and KnightyKnight)
Oh and that guy whose good at rolling 6's (Flotsam and jetsam on here?)
Oh plus anyone who has me on Facebook (Like Thermo) and has been seeing the pics I put up as I frantically try and paint it.

And anyone who reads the below :P

Eomer, Knight of pelannor
Erkenbrand

4 Rohan Royal guards with throwing spears
3 Outriders
10 Westmark Redshields
One rider of rohan with banner

All depends on me finishing them, really pushing the time limit but hoping I can base colours accross all the models. Just finished removing all of the mould lines last night and undercoated the last of the horses before going to work this morning. Sooo much to do....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

lol ouch horses, u gotta love painting horses!!!!!!! lol
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Nice list Southy (I'm always relieved the see your Hunter Orcs rather than your Erebor!) although I'm quite surprised not to see the Shade. What's the thinking behind putting him in at 350 and not at 500? I think 350 was too small to have him have much effect as he eats up so many of your points but at 500 you could spam hunter orcs and spears and possibly create quite an intimidating battle-line.

Erebor's are too slow IMO for the new scenarios. Otherwise I'd bring them in a heartbeat.
Re the shade; I didn't feel it suited the scenarios plus I prefer having fury. Plus, I couldn't get too many more orc spears so the line wouldn't be that formidable :P 750 I would consider the shade.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So with just a couple of days to go how are people feeling about stockport?
I am pretty damn excited though hope people will be cool with my army. Have pretty much just got the minimum done to make it playable, need to finish painting Eomer tonight.

I am hoping the horsemen do well throughout, I think the last scenario may be the hardest for me.

How's everyone else doing on painting and so forth?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I've got to do about an hour or two of work on the bases of the dwarves, final dry brush, a couple of coats around the rims, touching up their boots and then gluing the grass on. Really pleased with how they're looking but I just could've done with that one extra evening as always! Looking forward to a practice game or 2 with Tom H tonight and then a game with Sam tomorrow before we start the long drive North. really looking forward to getting in a bunch of games with a brand new army, very excited about this one!