All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:22 pm

Post subject: Re: Most OP good model
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr Grant wrote:
I like Mirkwood Rangers

I think they're a really nice addition to the meta, the best archers in the game but really weak in combat.

Couldn't agree more there great for the meta but there also a nice addition to the army list, elves are nearly always outnumbered so it's nice they now have something to counteract that, in practice I find it doesn't come up a lot but people assume there more powerful than they are so you can use that to your advantage as well, also all bows is nice. I wouldn't take a full army of them but a warband lead by Tauriel add another dimension to tha army list

It's the same view I take for the new palace guard, never take a full army or even warband of them but 2-3 of them backed by spears with Thranduil makes a really nasty little combo, add aura of dismay in and you've got 4 F6 terror causing guys (with support) that most heroes will have to heroic strike against to beat make Thranduil a proper combat hero (you could even use GotGC to give them 3A)

In short not as universally brilliant as everyone thinks but great additions to the list in terms as use and diversity, something the Rivendell list is still missing badly
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Boromir of gondor? Just shoot him dead.
Isildur. If you have magic then he dies easy enough.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cereal_theif wrote:
Boromir of gondor? Just shoot him dead.
Isildur. If you have magic then he dies easy enough.

Boromir true but not easy but Islidur puts the ring on and is invisible, so invisible in fact that he can ride a horse and the horse is invisible as well, I believe he can even pass through troops as if they weren't there and then take the ring of and charge from behind, very nasty and impossible to hurt while wearing the ring (so great of VP denial)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You cannot pass through troops while you have the ring on.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Actually he (and his horse) is(are) only invisible to shooting attacks. It does not prevent him being targetted by magic.

He also cannot walk through people any more though they can walk through him.

You can charge someone wearing the ring nower days too.

He also can charge with the ring on, it acts similar to a transfix.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cereal_theif wrote:
Actually he (and his horse) is(are) only invisible to shooting attacks. It does not prevent him being targetted by magic.

He also cannot walk through people any more though they can walk through him.

You can charge someone wearing the ring nower days too.

He also can charge with the ring on, it acts similar to a transfix.

I feel the Numemor player in my group may have been exaggerating the truth a bit about the rings power, cheecky Son of a B
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Oh was that finally officially answered? I haven't played that much attention since last time I played against them. I thought ppl till weren't sure.

I presume you mean the fact that spear supports don't give the Rangers an extra attack? It's not official but that's the way we ruled it for the GBHL Community FAQ. Everything in the game points to spear support models not being 'engaged in' or 'part of' the combat (they keep control zones, good models can shoot at them, they don't move in Heroic Combats, Flail's don't hit them etc.) so we just extended that to mean that they didn't count as part of the fight for the Rangers' rule.

Hopefully GW will give us an official ruling at some point but until then that's how it's being played in the GBHL.

ElfGeneral wrote:
It's the same view I take for the new palace guard, never take a full army or even warband of them but 2-3 of them backed by spears with Thranduil makes a really nasty little combo, add aura of dismay in and you've got 4 F6 terror causing guys (with support) that most heroes will have to heroic strike against to beat

I think you're right, I wasn't keen on Palace Guard originally as they're so clearly over-costed but in kin-slaying games they're really good! George Perkins PG F6 really gave him the edge over my Rangers at DOS last weekend and the high defence made a nice screen for his Rangers. I've got a box as I love the models but I wasn't too keen on them in the game but as you say, I think 3 or 4 of them (so they all benefit from Thranduil's rule) good be a really nice bonus to mix up your options and provide some valuable F6.

ElfGeneral wrote:
[on Mirkwood Rangers] In short not as universally brilliant as everyone thinks but great additions to the list in terms as use and diversity

Couldn't agree more, they're one of those units that seem very broken on the page (100% elf bows?!?!?!?!) but in practice are actually very hard to use and win with. We've seen a lot of them on the UK tourney circuit this year already and they haven't dominated the podiums by any means.

Back to the wider topic, Isildur mounted with the Ring is still a good choice, again I wouldn't call him OP but it's a tidy little tactical option.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here is one... palace guard captains. F6 then F7 when close to Thrandruil... and bodyguard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Oh was that finally officially answered? I haven't played that much attention since last time I played against them. I thought ppl till weren't sure.

I presume you mean the fact that spear supports don't give the Rangers an extra attack? It's not official but that's the way we ruled it for the GBHL Community FAQ. Everything in the game points to spear support models not being 'engaged in' or 'part of' the combat (they keep control zones, good models can shoot at them, they don't move in Heroic Combats, Flail's don't hit them etc.) so we just extended that to mean that they didn't count as part of the fight for the Rangers' rule.

Hopefully GW will give us an official ruling at some point but until then that's how it's being played in the GBHL.

Thats whay I figured but I live in America so if I bring them to a tournament and theres no official ruling so if someone wants to be a **** and say they get an extra attack for my spear support, I have to pretty much roll for it.

But Id prefer it doesnt count them because realistically, for spear support having 3 attacks is horrible.

cereal_theif wrote:
Here is one... palace guard captains. F6 then F7 when close to Thrandruil... and bodyguard

No way dude. Fight 6 is good and fight seven is great but honestly, you have to pay a minimum of 100+ points to activate it with 1 guy. And Palace guards in their base for without shield or spear are ridiculously point heavy. With a shield and spear I think you can buy 2.5 orcs or almost 2 morannons......they are just too many pts to be overpowered. Many units are better for less pts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I never mentioned Palace Guards but Palace Guard Captains.

You could take Thrandruil from the mirkwood list and 1 palace guard captain with 12 mirkwood rangers from the thranduils halls list. Now you have a bodyguarding hero which is quality. Take his courage test first and Thranduil's second.
F6 is grand anyway and beats most heroes in the game. If he comes across a hero he can't beat on fight value (or who is likely to raise their own fight) then Thranduil can pop along and up his fight without needing to epic strike.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd say Rumil. He is as cheap as a captain can lead warriors. And I think I don't have to say anything about his special rule. Together with his fightvalue he nearly wins every fight against warriors, because his foe needs two sixes in a row to beat him, if he had a five. Besides he is the only of the woodelf heros who can do shielding.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
I never mentioned Palace Guards but Palace Guard Captains.

You could take Thrandruil from the mirkwood list and 1 palace guard captain with 12 mirkwood rangers from the thranduils halls list. Now you have a bodyguarding hero which is quality. Take his courage test first and Thranduil's second.
F6 is grand anyway and beats most heroes in the game. If he comes across a hero he can't beat on fight value (or who is likely to raise their own fight) then Thranduil can pop along and up his fight without needing to epic strike.

If you're talking about say Thranduil leading 12 wood elves and then PAlace guard captain leading 12 mirk rangers OK why not. But if you're talking about adding a palace guard Captain for no reason as an extra piece independent no way. Way too many blown points. Even if he is great in fight value. If they could ride horses they'd be something fierce though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Frêrin wrote:
I'd say Rumil. He is as cheap as a captain can lead warriors. And I think I don't have to say anything about his special rule. Together with his fightvalue he nearly wins every fight against warriors, because his foe needs two sixes in a row to beat him, if he had a five. Besides he is the only of the woodelf heros who can do shielding.

nice clal although wrong saying only elf heroe can shield, wood elf captain with spear can shield as well :P
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Galanur wrote:
Frêrin wrote:

nice clal although wrong saying only elf heroe can shield, wood elf captain with spear can shield as well :P

I did not mention him because nobody would field one since the Galadhrim captain is cheaper and already got an amour and a elvenblade/bow ;) I don't know what GW thougt about that (ok, I know they want to sell the galadhrim captains).
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Frêrin wrote:
I'd say Rumil. He is as cheap as a captain can lead warriors. And I think I don't have to say anything about his special rule. Together with his fight value he nearly wins every fight against warriors, because his foe needs two sixes in a row to beat him, if he had a five. Besides he is the only of the wood elf heroes who can do shielding.

He's not OP but Rumil is a beast, back him up with two GotGC so he has 4 attacks and you can feint with his sword meaning you re-roll 1's as well whilst maintaining your F6 from the GotGC giving him some offensive power as well. Add shielding in (6 attacks) and your opposition can throw the biggest nastiest thing they have at him and he won't kill it be you can be damn sure he'll hold it up for longer than either of you think.

In short great for killing low level heroes and troops, winning fights against heroes way over his points cost and great at denial and control all that for 5 points more than a normal Galadhrim captain (or the same points as a captain w/ shield)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I also really like Tauriel, in my opinion she is not overpowered but her abilities and wargear stack really well. She great at taking on troops and is surprisingly resilient, the way I look at it there are three way you can bring down a hero in SBG:

1) Shoot them form afar - she has elven clock so this is out

2) Surround them with troops - this doesn't work because of her knife-fighter special rule means she gets more attack (at F6)

3) Point a big monster/better hero in there direction - here lies her weakness (or non-strength) she has no special rule to counter this, however she does have F6, 3A and 3M so she no slouch in the hero vs hero combat game either.

However in practice very rarely do you face more than two models at a time so she is usually capped at 4 attack which is much more reasonable than people assume, also her low defence means if she loses she goes down pretty quick.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I was going to mention her low defense. Makes my Hasharin's job that much easier

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Rumil will only get 4 attacks when shielding, not 6 ;)

I love tauriel, she is far more effective as a troop killer.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Jerkenbrand.