All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:21 am

Post subject: Are Galadhrim knights worth it
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Apart from for theme of course can anyone see a use for the Galadhrim Knights now the Rivendell knights have been released because I'm really struggling. There is a 3 points difference between the two model but the Rivendell Knights are better equipped with a lance, elven sword, bow and +1D the Galadhrim knight have to pay an extra point for the bow that limits the gap to 2 points. At their already high points cost it's a no brainer that you'd pay another 2 for a lance and +1D on a cavalry model.

The two advantage the Galadhrim have, however, are that they can be led by more heroes and have fleet of foot (increased move). The problem is they don't really help, not a lot of Lothlorien and Mirkwood heroes can get horses so this advantage becomes slightly less impressive than it first seem and fleet of foot has it's own problems. If you want the extra movement for charging you're better of with Rivendell knights as they will be better once you reach combat and if you want them for quick cavalry for capping objectives and harassing flanks take Rohan there cheaper and would be almost as good (also they have a see of cheap heroes to lead them).
 Post subject: Re: Are Galadhrim knights worth it
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thinking about it they may have a use against an all mounted Rohan army take them with Legolas and use your elven bows to kill any Sons of Eorl (only same movement troops) and them use them and Legolas to shoot at heroes either killinng them or force them to use up there precious might (for Heroic movements and charges) and hope to win the bow war of attrition that will follow becasue of your elven bows.

Even this, however, isn't great as loads of cheap heroes and models means you're going to be outnumbered and you can only move half and shoot, if the Rohan player decides early in the game shooting won't work you might be in trouble
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One can also make the arguement that if your scenario takes place during the war of the ring your opponent can claim, as elrond did, "my people are leaving these shores" and thus rivendel knights are not usable in a war of the ring scenario, as they have all left, or are leaving middle earth.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Idk. Personally in a high cost army like elves I'd never take cavalry anyway. But yeah they're too expensive. Fact of the matter is though they probably made the Kor better because they troop selection for high elves is so weak already they needed a boost.

I'd say they bare worth it if the rest of your army has cheap captains and warriors or you're in a 750+ pts match. And probably only with scenarios like recon and domination. Hold ground high ground and the others aren't great for them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Idk. Personally in a high cost army like elves I'd never take cavalry anyway.

I have to disagree with you here, I wouldn't take a lot of them but the ability to take cavalry add another dimension to the list that gives you a few more tactical options.

I wasn't really comparing them to the army list but saying now that Rivendell Knights exist apart from theme there's no reason to take them, Rivendell Knights are better at almost everything you want to use cavalry for. So why take Galadhrim?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ElfGeneral wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Idk. Personally in a high cost army like elves I'd never take cavalry anyway.

I have to disagree with you here, I wouldn't take a lot of them but the ability to take cavalry add another dimension to the list that gives you a few more tactical options.

I wasn't really comparing them to the army list but saying now that Rivendell Knights exist apart from theme there's no reason to take them, Rivendell Knights are better at almost everything you want to use cavalry for. So why take Galadhrim?

Well when people take very few cavalry I shoot them do death before they do anything.

The only reason to take them is if you take wood elves