All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:21 pm

Post subject: Re: Hobbit third movie renamed!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Whilst I liked "There and Back Again" as a title, I do have agree with PJ that it seems more suited to the two part structure. Especially considering Bilbo is already "There" so to speak. The Battle of (the?) Five Armies works pretty well, as it's going to be the central thing running through this movie, and the climax of the entire trilogy. Not sure where the errant "The" came from though.

I'd like to see any potential Hobbit boxed set of the extended editions given the "There And Back Again" subtitle, much like the hobbit novel was. That sounds like a nice idea.

Also note 25 minutes of EE content. Not terrible, better than AUJ. More Beorn, Laketown's party, a possible Thrain encounter and the scenes with the Dwarves in Dale and Mirkwood spring to mind as likely candidates. I'd like a bit more Bolg to better establish him as a character, but I'll not be dissapointed if there's nothing. Really looking forward to it - though I wish I had the willpower to not pick up the Theatrical Edition Blu-Ray the day it came out and rather hold off until the Extended. But then again, I'm a wargamer, so will power is not really in my armoury, but "oooh shiny new thing" certainly is. :D
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I hate the new title. This film is the climax of an amazing legacy, and he puts the childish, unimaginative, obvious, STUPID title on it. I understand that the Hobbit is a children's book. But this name sounds like a toddler's picture book. TABA really meant something, it echoed the feelings of Bilbo on the subject (forgive the cliche) "the importance is not the destination, but the journey."
There and Back Again stood for the emotional and mental development Bilbo goes through, from the naive hobbit who pickpockets a troll to someone who can negotiate against a war between men and Dwarves. It stood for what he learnt and what he went through. The meaning of The Battle of Five Armies is skin deep. It describes an event, and not an feeling, which is (again, forgive the cliche) what really matters in a film.
Echoing the thoughts of a previous poster, The Last Stage would be suitable too. This truly is the end of an era, from people who grew up with the LOTR movies on a shelf to the older people who raved over the books. This is the Last Stage, we've been There And Back Again. It's over. Goodnight.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Isilduhrr wrote:
childish, unimaginative, obvious, STUPID

Pretty much sums it up for me!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Personally I think PJ wants to keep the there and back again title for the trilogy boxset, because that will contain the full journey. He may also of been under pressure from studios to have a more exciting title, either way I am sure we will see the TABA title used.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm not really too fussed on the title although I do understand why some may find it a little childish and "Look here's what's going to happen in this film!" There and Back Again does have a nicer ring to it I guess...

However so long as the film itself is better than DOS then I'll be willing to forgive them on the title change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

personally i would have prefered "The Clouds Burst" for a title change if sir PJ was insistent on making the box set "There and Back Again". The Clouds Burst gives it more of a fantasy feeling and that it would be more than just about fight scenes and violence. I suppose the focus groups and the execs swayed PJ's decision in the end and hes getting most of the flak for it now.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shadowandflame wrote:
...and that it would be more than just about fight scenes and violence.

Will it though? I have a feeling it's pretty much going to be a 3 hour fight scene.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Battle of Pelennor Fields lasted for 2 full hours in the EE (counting the direct build up and the cuts to Frodo of course). RotK could very much have been called TBoPF and it would have been just as accurate as RotK, although it would have been a dumb title. I agree that it's definitely not the best title they could have chosen, but I am looking forward to a boxed set in a red leather case that says "There and Back Again... a Hobbit's Tale by Bilbo Baggins." and then you look just under that and it says "And The Lord of the Rings by Frodo Baggins." This is of course how it appears in the movies, but it SO perfectly sums up the entire franchise without reusing any of the individual film names. And I will buy it, even it costs me over $100 to get it. I will be royally [word deleted] of if they don't have it in this particular format.