All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:29 am

Post subject: Re: What are your future plans for SBG
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'll keep painting and collecting for goodness knows how long. I'll try and game whenever the opportunity arises.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My plans? Paint, play, read, watch PJ film. Then play, paint... again and again... I don't care what the future of BSG will be in GW's plan. The Tolkien universe is immortal.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

My interests lie primarily in other gaming systems these days, but there is always a LOTR figure on my painting table trying to attract my attention. I'm gradually working my way through my LOTR backlog and many figures are actually starting to get used in games these days (just not LOTR SBG).

I used several elves and goblins (the plastic ones from the Hobbit) in a game of D&D a few weeks ago, and even as recently as today I started painting the metal Orc Shaman figure.

But I can't see myself ever playing the SBG again, sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dagorlad wrote:
My interests lie primarily in other gaming systems these t my attention. ...............

But I can't see myself ever playing the SBG again, sadly.

I spent a lot of time and effort converting figure bases for War of the Rings. I am rebasing all of them for other systems.

Currently I have no plans for SBG. By plan for GW products is not to buy any.

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I bought a huge lot of miniatures a few months back which has a overwhelming amount of stuff. So right now I'm trying to finish up my main Rivendell list then going to try and get together a warband from each faction done. I have gotten a few friends into the game and found some other players at our local games workshop to play with. Just enjoying painting right now and playing more which is nice. I really hope GW doesn't drop it, would be very sad haha
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just ordered these two.

The female ranger in particular might make a good female Dunedain hero for LOTR. The fan film Born of Hope has a female ranger. And I'll also have a couple cool miniatures if I ever want to try out a D&D miniature game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, both of those would fit very nicely among GW figures as Rangers of the North.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My plan is to keep buying models I like.
Man..., I don't own a single Dwarf or Elf!

Find some time to assemble them.
Find some even more scarce time to paint them.

I will get my table all set up and looking great.
Get anybody I can interested in this "game", and get a battle going.

My likely victims are my neighbors and their kids. And my kids!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have a huge amount of unpainted miniatures. I'll keep painting them and as there are some nice new miniatures I might buy them.
My wife has recently shown interest in the Hobbit starter set, so we might buy it and I hope she wants to continue playing it.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My plan is to keep buying more lotr miniatures then GW produces and painting more miniatures then I buy. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have plenty of LOTR miniatures to paint... but I'm starting to sculpt miniatures stylistically and proportionally compatible with the GW range, I see that as a long term ongoing project.

https://www.edinburghminiaturecompany.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I see myself play the casual game now and then. Also, I know I'll still try to raise a lotr campaign with friends of mine within 10 years from now.

Anyone knows a good skirmish game which can be converted to Lotr SBG or where I can at least use my models?

@King Ondoher: Of which company are those two beautiful models? I'm interested in the rest of their range, for Roleplay and conversion options.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

belgiumfire wrote:
Anyone knows a good skirmish game which can be converted to Lotr SBG or where I can at least use my models?

SAGA, by Gripping Beast.

Forum:
http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org/

Its an excellent game. You can browse the forums for dedicated Community written LOTR "Battleboards" (The collection of rules and special abilities for each faction) or you can simply directly proxy LOTR miniatures using the rules for existing historical factions.

For instance, Isenguard Uruk Hai would work well as Vikings (access to berzerker units, and special abilities that emphasise Offense over Defense).

Rohirrim Infantry would work well as Anglo Danes (elite "Hearth Guard" warriors as Rohan Royal Guard or Grimbold's Helmingas equipped with "Dane" axes [2 hand]). They might also work well as Anglo Saxons (abilities that emphasise the use of large infantry shield walls and balanced between offense and defense, and the option to have small units of elite mounted "Hearthguard").

A Rohirrim cavalry force would work well as a Steppe Horde force (all units can be mounted, with abilities for mounted archers and skirmishing).

Gondor would work well using the rules for the Normans. They have options for bow and crossbow equipped Warriors [mid level units] - perhaps Ithilien rangers - and Hearthguard [elite quality] - maybe Citadel Guard Archers. They also have abilities for heavy cavalry (lance equipped Knights) [can be Hearthguard elite or mid-level Warriors).

A SAGA battle report using LOTR miniatures.

http://thewargamestable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/saga-battle-report.html

SAGA game review.

http://meeples.wordpress.com/reviews/ru ... eval/saga/

Speak to Hitherto of TLA, I believe hes a member of the SAGA forum, he'll know more than I.

Quote:
@King Ondoher: Of which company are those two beautiful models? I'm interested in the rest of their range, for Roleplay and conversion options.

Otherworld Miniatures. I have both of them, the female ranger is fantastic though VERY skinny. Plastic Tauriel skinny.

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/

Otherworld Miniatures produce their own RPG skirmish game, inspired by Dungeons and Dragons but they use a more natural and realistic miniature scale like LOTR for humanoid miniatures as opposed to Heroic Scale.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The answer is very simple, keep the hobby alive! I do not care if GW continues to support LOTR or not.
Ebay is full of bargains (i do not refer to the cutthroating overpriced models), Stores have full shelves and there are plenty of models around.
Paint my endless collection, game every time possible and even take part to some tournaments outside my country.
Remake my armies as i want them unique (currently remaking all of my dol amroth army :D )
AND most important, teach my upcoming son to the hobby to have an eternal partner!!!

seems like a job of a lifetime to me :)

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Epic, Mordheim, Bloodbowl, even warhammer 2nd Edition and Rogue Trader: all games which have been abandoned by the manufacturer, but are kept alive and kicking by a vibrant and enthusiastic community.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

halauas wrote:
AND most important, t[b]each my upcoming son to the hobby to have an eternal partner!!![/b]

seems like a job of a lifetime to me :)

And afterlife too, if you follow the the ancient practice from China and Egypt of burying loyal servants alive so they can accompany their masters into the afterlife... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think i messed up with my english? :P
But anyway this doesnt sound like a bad idea at all :P I do not want to comment it further becuase it will sound a little grave.

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

halauas wrote:
I think i messed up with my english? :P
But anyway this doesnt sound like a bad idea at all .

Not at all, t'was a joke. Though the idea is rather appealing is it not? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mertaal wrote:
I always wonder what data people are basing this opinion on when I see it mentioned. The UK tournament scene is thriving, the GBHL facebook group has 500 members, and the youtube channel has 1200 subscribers. Ebay prices for OOP miniatures is through the roof, and the forums are busy. The only interest I can see flagging is Games Workshop's own- they aren't supporting the game properly, but that hardly matters when you have a good community of eager and enthusiastic players.

Consider yourself very fortunate to live in the small, tight knit, British LOTR loving community you do.

In America, the hobby is dead. All these kids have given up on Lotr because GW pooped on it here, and they all went back to 40k. I hear almost every time I play some new guy saying he had an army but sold it for 40k money. Or he gave up cause nobody played.

Surveys are never entirely accurate, but for a small example, the United States has 5 times your population and in the One Ring Locator topic there are 77 Brits, and 60 Americans....

Anyway....I digress......

My plans....Im working on collecting another small group of figures.....

I have large pieces of most armies I want to make. I need some more to fill out several armies. I will trade and buy my way to it, and sell extra stuff along the way to make sure I dont actually spend too much on it.

When I have all my armies collected, and done, Im going to have enough to paint for 10 years at the rate I do it. Thats if Im on my current pace with my light schedule...when I go back to school, have a full time job, or a baby in a few years....Im screwed. BUT, the models will always be there in the future.

I will try to continue to play at GW with anyone I can, and hit up the few people in the local area where I live. Rangefinder, GloryforGondor, and a few others not on the forum who I all talk with frequently.

As for the future once GW ends the line and inevitably doesnt allow us to play in its stores, I will go to peoples' houses, other gaming stores, and play at my house. All you really need is a table, or a plain, and imagination. We all have a little bit of terrain. Worst case scenario, you play on the damn ground outside. We all have imagination here, or we wouldnt play with plastic model toy soldiers as adults! So real grass and rock as a last resort is good enough for me lol. The game wont need to die.....just support.

Im sure another company will pick the rights up immediately. I do like these rules though....cant say I wont still use them.

If GW does have some overhaul and re invents the whole game with a one rulebook to end them all....Id support them for a bit more. But thats like .0000000000000000000000000000000000024% chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The game will love on as long as there's people who play it... And then we will all have a nice retirement fund available ;)

Battle fleet gothic is a prime example. Hasn't had a release for a very long time. It now doesn't exist to GW, I just make nearly £200 selling random blisters of tiny tiny ships... Each blister went for over £20.

Imagine what out collections will be worth soon ;)