All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:25 am

Post subject: Thoughts,Uses and Tactics for the Kings Huntsman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:33 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I recently bought the finecast command pack for Rohan with the Captain,Huntsman,banner and horn blower to use in my Rohan infantry army. I bought it for the banner and captain models without giving much thought to the kings Huntsman. However after inspecting his profile I noticed that he (or rather they) have a quite unique profile.

Their special rule pretty much relegates them to hero/monster killers, and it seems as if they may be able to get the job done rather efficiently. With practically 2 free might to use (provided they actually kill the enemy) they seem like they could get the job done effectively.

My plan when using one, is to reduce the target to 1 wound with other archers and then guarantee the kill with the huntsman. Which almost seems like a waste considering the target could probably be killed by your regular archers the next turn, in which case the points spent on him is almost wasted considering he can not lead soldiers.

Also, once combat is reached he has low fight value and only 1 attack. But he does have strength 4 with is nice and can also use his special rule while in combat. Not to mention the fact that with the deployment rules he may only get 1 shot off before battle lines meet. Though with Rohan infantry games you really need to avoid combat until things are just right...

I am really back and forth with these guys, it is hard to decide if they are worth it or not.

Anyway, I would love to hear you peoples good thoughts on this.
Thanks

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts,Uses and Tactics for the Kings Huntsman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:11 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I really like him, he's a cool profile and adds something very different to your list. The S3 bow is nice too. One thing worth remembering is that GW FAQ'd it so that his special rule does not include the roll to determine if he hits rider or mount. This is great as he can shoot through ranks of warriors at Heroes on horses on a 2+ and still have a good chance of killing the rider's horse.

I always try and sneak one into my armies, lovely model too. Be careful on Hold Ground though, make sure you deploy him firs for he'll very quickly be swamped by the enemy and killed.

I'd definitely give him a shot (HA!) - have fun!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well first off, no hes not just a monster killer....as Grant said, you shoot at enemy heros constantly, or Shamans, Stormcallers, etc. Any special units. The in the ways on a roll of one is guaranteed to work 5/6 times TECHNICALLY. 3+ to hit is great too......

My problems with him though even though his idea is really cool, is that his negatives outweigh his positives.

1-A foot unit in a likely all mounted army(for myself).
2-Cant lead a warband
3-Hes going to be far away from the battle and other troops, so his might would only be used to modify rolls....although thats good, what happens when the battle is so thick he can no longer shoot at things, or is out of might
4-He will get annihilated by any army with good archery. Harad, Elves, Isengard....any smart player will put a warband of bowmen near him and slice him up.

I know with those forces that my X-bows, Mirkwood Rangers, and Watchers would all be put within a turns distance of dropping 10-12 shots in his direction.

*As a note-I think about this game realistically, and imagine myself playing the best competition every time I think of an army.
....Have you ever seen him used in one army list or battle report? I cant remember I have. That speaks volumes to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well the getting left behind thing isn't a problem for me. I am going to be playing a predominantly infantry based Rohan army.

My main opponent plays Isengard, but as of right now he only has 8 crossbows. So I can avoid them if I put enough thought into my deployment and movement.

My primary concern about the huntsman was if he could pull his weight in points, because as previously stated, he can't lead troops. But it seems like you guys think he can be worth his while. So I'll try to give him a go next time I play a game.

Any more advice would be great though, so keep posting if you have anything else to say :)

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
Well the getting left behind thing isn't a problem for me. I am going to be playing a predominantly infantry based Rohan army.

My main opponent plays Isengard, but as of right now he only has 8 crossbows. So I can avoid them if I put enough thought into my deployment and movement.

My primary concern about the huntsman was if he could pull his weight in points, because as previously stated, he can't lead troops. But it seems like you guys think he can be worth his while. So I'll try to give him a go next time I play a game.

Any more advice would be great though, so keep posting if you have anything else to say :)

Well yes and no. Its good that most Isengard named heros are only D5 so you can wound them on 5's. The bad part is, that most Isengard heros are not worth putting that much effort into because theyre all just tough in combat but not very valuable to the overall scheme of the force.....if he has a shaman, deploy him near that, and if he has Saruman, same. As for all the rest of the heros....meh.....theyre all about the same. Unless he has a Vrasku then target him. If someone he has none of these, go after banners and certain other important pieces.

But Isengard is generally a force you should have a hard time against because they are such a balanced force in terms of every warband being strong and regular troopers all being so potent, that taking out some set pieces of their army usually doesnt hinder them too much.

Personally I field, at 750:
Vrasku
12 X bows
Mauhur
12 Raiders
Shaman
12 Ferals
Ugluk
4 X bows
8 warriors with shield

There fore example, Id put my Shaman warband as far away from him as possible, and if you got him near the Shaman, Id have my other warband of X bows across from you. Then the other two warbands Id use for a variety of other things. Distraction, shields, and flanking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:47 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I used one in a battle for helms deep (organised by Dr G) and he killed more models in combat. Kill 7/8 uruks before he was swarmed and hacked apart. Haven't used him in a competitive game though, I am tempted to ally him in with the grey company at some point though.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That King's Huntsman was a beast! Was very sad when he finally fell. Never forget.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569