All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:03 pm

Post subject: 750PT Isengard Army
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, so this is my 750pt Isengard army that I used yesterday, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on how to improve it:

Saruman on a horse
12 Berserkers

Vrasku
3 Uruk-Hai Warriors w/ shields
8 Uruk-Hai Warriors w/ crossbows

Mauhur
1 Uruk-Hai Warrior w/ banner
9 Feral Uruk-Hai

Any tips on how to make this list better, and how to better utilize it (particularly against Elves) would be great.

Thank you,
Alexander
 Post subject: Re: 750PT Isengard Army
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks good, my sort of army!

I would drop the banner - you really don't it with all those 2 attack models (they're all essentially in range of a banner already), swap that for Grima as he's absolutely incredible and makes a real difference at that points level

I'd then drop the banner bearer and 3 warriors with shield for a Beserker, a Feral and a Crossbowman, much better use of the points.

Hope that helps, it's a really good force and will give your enemy an awful lot of trouble!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice, Dr Grant! Right now, I don't have anymore crossbowmen, Berserkers, or Ferals. I'd probably get more Berserkers soon, but GW doesn't produce Ferals anymore. I'm guessing replacing the banner bearer and 3 Uruk-Hai with shields with Grima and 2 Berserkers will suffice? I also have to learn how to properly utilize Grima as well.

Thanks again for the help!
Alexander
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I thoughts that might be the reason. Cool, well if you don't have the models then I'd suggest giving the other 4 models pikes rather than shields. In your army your front line will be all the 2 attack models so pikes supporting them will be more useful than a few shield models weakening your front line.

Definitely swap the banner for Grima though, he's readily available on ebay and will win you games.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'll definitely do that until I get more Berserkers, and I'll buy Grima on Ebay. I just don't know how to use Grima to get in the way of opposing heroes, and other models properly, since I can't use him to voluntarily charge.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You don't need him to be in the way or charge, just be near them. The common tactic to stop Grima is to surround him with 3/4 enemy models so he can't move and leave him behind (but even then your opponent has lost 3/4 models from the game.

You have to deploy him within 6" of the warband's captain so be sure to put him 6" in front (i.e. closer to your army) that way your enemy won't be able to trap him behind his lines.

Then just move him forward 6" every turn, ensuring he ends his move within 6" of the enemy hero. Once those crucial Heroic Move-offs and combats start happening he'll be worth his weight in gold, turning all 3 Might heroes into 1 Might heroes! He's absolutely incredible against Aragorn - bye bye Mighty hero!

Just watch out for Sorcerous Blast and Black Dart which'll deal with him pretty quick!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That seems pretty simple! Thank you for the further explanation! I'm assuming magic can be used against Grima, even with Saruman present. However, that still wastes will points on him, instead of my fighting army. I'll be sure to pick him up on Ebay shortly!

Alexander
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with Dr. Grant. Grinma would be a great addition. I suggest to drop mauhur a get a shaman. Like Grima, he will be his worth his weight in gold. Fury saves on 5+.