All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Beginner's WIP Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Rangers look great - awesome work! Can't believe you've only been into the hobby for a couple of months, clearly you've got something of a natural gift! Really lovely details on the bases and the bow strings, streets ahead of what I was doing when I started out - bravo!

Can't wait to see what you come up with for Leggy, Tauriel and the rest of the elves!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
 Post subject: Re: A Beginner's WIP Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you Dr. Grant! :)

Quick update, I have had the rest of the elves on hold as I have been working on painting Durthu from Warhammer Fantasy (if you are interested in seeing that progression I have posted a thread in the WHF & 40K project log forum). Although, whilst I was waiting for some parts to dry on Durthu today, I did the finishing touches on the other couple that I had started a week ago which only included the bases. I have another warband, Legolas, Tauriel, Thranduil and 10 Palace Guard sitting on the to do shelf. I found the batch painting of the rangers slightly frustrating but perhaps as I felt like they didn't look very good, so I thought it was good to have a change and paint a model I've had my eye on for a while now (Durthu). Looking forward to getting back to painting some Hobbit though, I may do a couple of individual models before doing the rest of the 10 rangers though. :)
 Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lovely work. I have been painting on and off for longer than I care to admit and I could learn a thing or two from you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

rumtap wrote:
Lovely work. I have been painting on and off for longer than I care to admit and I could learn a thing or two from you!

That is very flattering. Thank you :)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well Amy, I really like the greens and the bow strings. I would also be on board the painting the eyes committee if you are counting votes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:35 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

We have a committee? :lol:

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I am not a committee!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Haha thanks for your comments guys, I know I do feel like the eyes do add something to the model. I'll definitely attempt to do some for my next batch of elves.

Also, if anyone is interested I have posted completed photos of my Wood Elves Durthu over on the WH&40K project log forums, would be good to get any comments on that too :)

As for what's next on my Hobbit list, as I mentioned I think I will paint a single model next probably Thranduil, although my car decided it is probably time to die so therefore I can't get up to Tim's where I do the painting, so no painting for me for the next week or so! :(
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Poor Han Solo. You go to take the old bird for a spin after thirty years and the boarding ramp crashes down on your foot.
(I'll wager it was designed by a committee).
Painting comes under that category of things Robbie Burns was referring to when he said:
Quote:
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley

I have no idea what mouse plans are... more cheese probably. The plans of men (humankind - includes the ladies) may refer to things like the Backlog Reduction Oath. So missing out on a little painting is just one of those unfortunate occurrences that life throws at you.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Today I painted the old metal Saruman from the White Council set. I did it over a few hours and it was my first time painting metal.

Here are two WIP photos I took.

And then two finished photos:

However, in all honesty I'm really disappointed with the way it turned out. I feel like the paint looks terrible on the cloak especially, and looking back at the two WIP photos I took I think I've messed up somewhere after that. I used Screaming Skull as a basecoat, and then highlighted it with multiple thin layers of white. I used Sepia for the recesses and then a bit of Agrax to darken up the recesses, which I think may have ruined it. However, I'm not sure if the metal may have been the reason for the paint not looking as smooth, I noticed a lot of bits of black spots over the model, I'm not sure what they are?

I decided to post these photos to try and get some advice on how to improve it, as I think the best thing is to strip the model and start over!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi Amy, Nothing to be disappointed about here I think it looks great. Using Sepia to shade white is an interesting idea, one that i had not thought of doing but quite like the look you have there.

I think what the cloak is missing if anything is more of a mid tone between the darker sepia shade and the lighter white colours. Maybe some watered down snakebite leather will help this. I 100% would not strip the model as what you have there is already excellent painting. Try using an extremely watered down mid tone which can be applied to the entire cloak. If you do choose to go with snakebite leather water it down to almost transparent and once dry add the tinyest bit of black and a little more water to the mix and shade the model into the recess's of the cloak. This step can be repeated as many times as you like although wouldn't need to be done too many times on this model as the recess shading you have done is excellent. Once you are happy with the snakebite mid tone begin to rehighlight with your lighter colours again watering the paint down to keep the transition smooth. Try something like bleached bone or a similar creamy colour before moving to the final pure white highlight. White is notoriously difficult to highlight and shade and you have done a great job here. Don't be downhearted and keep it up!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very nice! I agree with DMS, not necessary to strip and those few tips might be what you are after.

Well done on the beard and eyebrows - they are almost identical to the movies :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:54 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would like to add that you have proven yourself very adept at painting eyes, well done and I hope you agree it has made a difference with this figure.
I like DMS advice but I would also consider some very thin glazes of purple and blue in the recesses. The cold colours will help set a contrast and Sarumans cloak was regarded as white overall but with many colours in it.
A dark glaze over the hair will also add some transition.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Amy, Tell you what, your right it's terrible. Send it to me and I'll send you a new one in a blister and save you the trouble of stripping it.

Because it's better that anything I have!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you all very much for the comments and tips. I can be very self critical and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it think sometimes I want things to look the best they can! ;)
I tried to add some mid tone to the cloak but it didn't really do much difference, to me anyway, I feel it still looks streaky and messy. I've decided to move on from it as Tim said he thinks it looks good as it is, so I'll believe him!

I spent today doing Thranduil, he is nearly finished and I found the cloak on him easier to do but with it being so small and Finecast I have had a few issues with the model looking detailed but hopefully it looks ok. I will post some finished photos of it tomorrow perhaps.

Although here is a photo I took of where I left him off tonight. I decided to go for a different scheme as to the box art, and decided with a red cloak after looking through the Weta Cloaks and Daggers book, and also taking some inspiration from Dr. Grant on the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:49 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks nice and smooth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the red.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I finished Thranduil today and I also made a start and finished my Legolas and Tauriel. Here are some individual photos and the group photo, taken on our gaming board with the trees for scenery as a change to the usual photo set up. I am happy with the way they turned out, especially Legolas. Thranduil I'm not 100% happy with as I feel his face doesn't look great. Happy to get them done and ready for games though!

Photos are taken on my iPhone so they aren't the best quality, we were having trouble using the main camera as it tended to not focus on them, and also it tended to wash out the colour and definition, although not sure if this is due to the painting or the model itself. Anyway, here are the individual photos:

And a final group shot:

Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP - Updated 13/7/2014 - Thranduil, Legolas & Tau
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Coming along nicely Amy, I beginning to wonder how good you will be in a year !!!
I've noted you've started to add some subtle shading which I feel is your way forward from here. Your eyes are developing and I believe your figures are the better for this attention.

Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP - Updated 13/7/2014 - Thranduil, Legolas & Tau
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The face on Leggy is superb. Very well done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next