All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP - Updated 13/7/2014 - Thranduil, Legolas & Tau
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you both. Yes, I've noticed that my thinking has changed too and I feel this has helped my models to look a little better. Working on the last of the 10 Mirkwood rangers today! I feel it really helped to get a couple of single models painted, as it has helped with that inspiration factor, I felt the batch painting of the last 10 elves to be a bit of a drag but now I'm enjoying it to see them all together :)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Amy, the painting is looking great, you are making progress. The eyes are good start, thye are looking a bit surprised at the moment due to these being fair skin lads. I would suggest on future models to hit the area with a darker color so that when you paint the white of the eye you create a eyeliner or outline, just enough to control the expression a bit with where you place your dots afterward.
Looking great, as long as you are enjoying the models then the 8-10 figure batches can pay off (well after you get past a few stages anyway).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you for the tips Sithious, I agree sometimes the eyes can be difficult to make look ok especially when the model's eyes are so small as is on the elves.

Here are some progress photos of today's work on the 10 remaining Mirkwood Rangers, and also in the last photo of all 20 of them as I've decided to improve the last batch by adding some more shading and also doing the faces and eyes.

The elves have been sitting like this on a shelf next to my desk for a good few weeks now, looking all green and waiting to be painted. To start off the elves were all sprayed a basecoat of green.

This time, I began by painting their faces all with multiple thin layers of Kislev Flesh, I decided to use the one step up flesh colour because I felt it made their faces lighter which might make sense, given that they are elves.

I then began by painting all of the basecoats on the models, when I first started painting I would paint one thing for example all of the face and then paint the whole of another thing, which often meant that I'd redo a lot of things because I've not managed to perfect my steady hand yet! I recently started painting all basecoats together, which I suppose is a pretty standard technique! :P

Between the last and next photo I did most of the models, but didn't take any photos! This mainly involved finishing the basecoats, highlighting, washing and touching up bits. I then did the main basecoat for the bases.

Next came the details on the base!

Here is a close up photo of one of them, where you can see the detail on the base a little better, not a great photo at all, mainly because the window is directly near to the desk!

Then finally I got out the last batch of 10 rangers and begun adding some more shading, and also prepping the faces for the eyes.

Still left to complete on them are finishing off the faces, including the eyes mainly and then perhaps general tidying up on all of them. I also want to improve all of the bases by adding some flower tufts Tim and I recently got to match the bases of Thranduil, Legolas and Tauriel, and I think I also want to add a mushroom or two to a few bases to vary them. These will get more work done at the end of the week now as I am now back home getting ready for my graduation! :)

As always, any hints/tips or suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks everyone :)
 Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP - Mirkwood Rangers WIP (14/7/14)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:56 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Funny how people work differently.
I like to do the eyes first, then the face. My theory is to get the diddly bits out the way as soon as I can, but then again I'm probably a lot older than you.
These are looking nice, a few close ups on completion if you please.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
I like to do the eyes first, then the face. My theory is to get the diddly bits out the way as soon as I can, but then again I'm probably a lot older than you.

To be honest I was going to do the eyes first to get them out of the way but then for some reason I changed my mind! Haven't done any highlighting of the faces either, left them at base coat for now perhaps so that I didn't ruin the face when painting other parts such as the hair.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Amy wrote:
Gandlaf the Grey wrote:

To be honest I was going to do the eyes first to get them out of the way but then for some reason I changed my mind! Haven't done any highlighting of the faces either, left them at base coat for now perhaps so that I didn't ruin the face when painting other parts such as the hair.

Like I say, everyone is different.
For me though it is like working inside out. The smallest areas first, then the surround of that and so on. I find I never mess up the face when it comes to the hair, probably because your brush control gets better with practise.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
Amy wrote:
Gandlaf the Grey wrote:

Like I say, everyone is different.
For me though it is like working inside out. The smallest areas first, then the surround of that and so on. I find I never mess up the face when it comes to the hair, probably because your brush control gets better with practise.

Yeah it's all from practice. I paint quite fast due to commission time constraints which doesn't help as she feels like she takes too long.

As tree beard would say, don't be hasty!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm the complete opposite of you.
For example I've been working on the cloth on my troll for about 2-3 hours and I'm still not happy. In fact I will be re doing it and starting again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
I'm the complete opposite of you.
For example I've been working on the cloth on my troll for about 2-3 hours and I'm still not happy. In fact I will be re doing it and starting again.

It's not how fast you paint, it's how you paint fast ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great looking Mirkwood rangers. I got the WETA Chronicles: Cloaks and Daggers book delivered this week and have spent hours salivating over the photos and artwork. There is a lot more detail in the clothing and gear than meets the eye, even on bluray.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP - Mirkwood Rangers Finished (18/7/14)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well I am back, I graduated on Wednesday from Hull Uni with a 1st class degree and then found out that I have been accepted on to a Clinical Psychology Doctorate to begin this September, so I've been on cloud nine the past few days! Finally came back to finishing these today after returning to normality from all of the celebrations, I managed to finish the Mirkwood Rangers yesterday. I don't think they are all that good, however I have been working on these as a collection for quite a while now so it was getting to the point where I just wanted them all done to use in games. Here are some finished photos with their two leaders; Legolas and Tauriel, and also with Thranduil who by the way has a set of Palace Guard built and waiting to be done for him!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly, many congratulations to you. I hope your future is bright.
As for the rangers, don't put yourself down too much, talented as you are you have only been painting a short while and your comparing your work with Tim who has been painting a long while.
You should be pleased with your work but keep them and see what you think in a year or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
Firstly, many congratulations to you. I hope your future is bright.
As for the rangers, don't put yourself down too much, talented as you are you have only been painting a short while and your comparing your work with Tim who has been painting a long while.
You should be pleased with your work but keep them and see what you think in a year or so.

Thank you Gandlaf! :)
I know but I am a self critical person in a lot of areas of my life anyway, so even though to others they may look fine, to me I think they don't. I am happy with them though and it was good to get them done! :)
 Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP:Rangers,Legolas,Thranduil,Tauriel: DONE! (18/7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I painted this finecast Radagast yesterday which I will enter into this months painting competition. This is probably one of my favourite poses of Radagast, so detailed and looks just like him! It was really fun painting him!

Post subject: Re: Amy's WIP: Radagast the Brown with Sebastian: Done (19/7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice, you have captured the sentimental look of Sylvester McCoy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice job!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really nice job on Radagast, his face,eyes and expression are just like in the movie. Also very nice touch on the details, great piece!

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you everyone! Tim and I have been testing out the photo set up today, here is another photo of Radagast on a darker background.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Impressive work Amy! I love the bases for your mirkwood rangers, they are awesome! 8)
And your work on Radagast is really good. The face is very realistic. I also love that miniature because Sebastian is just so cute.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I find it difficult to get photos right and yours is a good effort but there is a bit too much light saturation in the face.
Please don't ask how to solve it as I would be hopeless.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next