All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:34 pm

Post subject: Dwarf Help, models for conversion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all!

I have an all mounted Rohan Army that I like...a lot, but I want to delve (see what I did there?) into the Dwarves!

I have looked at the troop types as well as the heroes. I am looking to get Dain II Ironfoot, Thror, and Thrain as my three heroes for my 700 point warband. I am planning on using Dwarf(Erebor) warriors, three with shields another three with spears. I also plan on using two Iron guard and two Khazad guard. That combination of 10 dwarves would be my standard warband, one each for each of the leaders I mentioned above.

My concern is the great disparity between the older dwarf figures and the newer ones, specifically the Grim Hammers. I love those figures so much and will be converting them into my Khazad guard using the two handed axes in the Dwarf warrior plastic box. However, and this is the crux of my post, what or how should I go about converting the Iron guard and warriors?

I really want the Iron guard to have more "iron" showing and not tunics. I also want all the figures to have helms, preferably with face masks as I hate painting faces.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
 Post subject: Re: Dwarf Help, models for conversion
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The problem with your warband is, Thror and Thrain are not allowed to have Khazadguards in their warband and Dain is not allowed to lead Erebor warriors, so you have to think about something different.
Besides in friendly games you are allowed to do everything you and your opponent is ok with.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, that is definitely important.....back to the drawing board, thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:09 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I see what you did there :)

Frerin is right, you would just need to swap troops for each warband when not playing friendlies, but that is not the purpose of this topic.

Yes, the Grimhammers profile is a little disappointing, hopefully they will be reviewed shortly after the last film. They are actually worth the same points as Khazad Guard as they have -2 stats (2pts) but have throwing weapons (+2 pts) so they are actually on par. Throwing weapons are quite underrated, so I wouldn't discount them but do some playtesting first.

The Iron Guard i think look good already, they are only "Iron" guard not mithril or steel guard though, so are actually not that highly ranked "lore" wise. If you wanted to add something to them, my suggestion would be to use green stuff/putty to sculpt some leg plates over the cloth. Most of the other dwarves have these leg plates but they are basically built into the suit of armour. In the case of the Iron Warriors, they would need to be a loose attachment starting around the waist and covering to the top of the knee, but no further down. I would suggest using a chevron or ^ style armour for this case.
Look at the grim hammers/GH captain. You will see around their hips what I am talking about. Just move that style armour to be covering the top of the leg more, not the hip. This could be "strapped" on at the top of the knee and through the waist belt if you are concerned to that degree of things.

I don't know what you mean about having helms, the Iron guard already have them. I would leave them as is. To give them a more "iron" feel, you could just not have any gold on the armour, but differentiate the metals by darkening some and only making it like bright steel on the edges of things like swords and maybe a faint line of it on the chainmail.

You can't do much with the warriors - swap an axe here or there, the difference here is mostly how you paint them, so just give them a bit of a different colour and you won't notice the same sculpts being used.
If you were referring to warriors of erebor, I think the easiest thing to do would be to add the ^ armour again over the cloth on their legs and even on the shoulders of some you might think are a bit too bare.
Good luck!