All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:36 pm

Post subject: Re: Will you follow me? One last time?!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have them saved, I'll find a way of uploading them all.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
I think people take this book vs movie debate way too seriously. Especially with this. Im just happy to have them work on a middle earth project as often as possible. I hope they continue to do more in the future as well. We all know there was never supposed to be a Star Wars 7.....well, here we are.

I won't speak for everyone, but at least for me, it has very little to do with being a book purist, and very much to do with over-reliance on silly CGI antics and completely suspenseless action sequences at the expense of decent editing and narrative flow. Peter Jackson clearly isn't being told "no" by anybody this time, and I think the movies suffer for it, to the point that they're just not really good movies anymore. Sure, book purists had gripes with The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, but for the most part those movies were very well regarded because, faithfulness to the source material or not, they were just well made.

Star Wars Episodes I-III were a different case, in my opinion. They were bad movies, don't get me wrong, but they did tell a completely new story, and illustrated parts of the Star Wars universe that we had never seen before. While the movies themselves were poor, what they did in terms of world-building in the Star Wars fictional setting was a big deal. The Hobbit movies are just a poor rendition of a story that's already out there.

I most definitely wouldn't hold my breath for more after this, though. Whereas George Lucas is all too happy to license out all manner of work for Star Wars, the Tolkiens have been pretty tight-fisted with the rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's additional writings on Middle-Earth, and to my knowledge the only material that is available is from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Until it becomes public domain, which to my knowledge will be quite a long time, we won't likely be seeing anything new, at least in the way of big budget movies.

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Either way, this release will either forever restore my respect in GW or smash it under the last bit of their boots.

Im excited and I just hope we get more Hunter orc on warg size ram packages and warrior of erebor sized foot soldier packages. No finecast 3 packs. That is all.

I suspect this depends a lot on GW's development timeline. If their work on these figures began any time after the Hobbit franchise was well under way, then I would suspect we'll only be seeing finecast releases for the last film. This is pure speculation on my part, but I don't get the impression that The Hobbit has done terribly well for them, and I doubt they would invest in the molds for plastic miniatures if they didn't feel like they were going to sell well enough.

On the flipside, other rumors of GW giving up finecast seem to float around here and there, so that may be a point in favor of more plastic minis.

Who knows? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
completely suspenseless action sequences at the expense of decent editing and narrative flow.

Yet he puts way too much senseless suspense in the narrative.

Gandalf talking about the which king without ever saying his name..."known only as a servant of evil, one of a number....one of nine." Oh...one of the nine, really?

And when Bard is hunting down the tapestry to remember who Thorin is but as he is learning the great secret that we already know the answer too, suddenly he is telling the Master who he is anyway so the build up was for nothing. Secret was let out without any digging or verse of song.

Of course he did this to grand effect with the Goblin King... "some one wants your head, a pale orc, riding a white warg" Oh please don't let us learn that azog is alive, we have only seen him 5 times up until now so please keep us in suspense some more as to who is after the dwarves.

I do hope that with the shorter last film that we get a good pace and there is no longer any reason to play guessing games with the dialog, we should all know who all the characters are now. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sithious wrote:
Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
completely suspenseless action sequences at the expense of decent editing and narrative flow.

Yet he puts way too much senseless suspense in the narrative.

Gandalf talking about the which king without ever saying his name..."known only as a servant of evil, one of a number....one of nine." Oh...one of the nine, really?

And when Bard is hunting down the tapestry to remember who Thorin is but as he is learning the great secret that we already know the answer too, suddenly he is telling the Master who he is anyway so the build up was for nothing. Secret was let out without any digging or verse of song.

Of course he did this to grand effect with the Goblin King... "some one wants your head, a pale orc, riding a white warg" Oh please don't let us learn that azog is alive, we have only seen him 5 times up until now so please keep us in suspense some more as to who is after the dwarves.

I do hope that with the shorter last film that we get a good pace and there is no longer any reason to play guessing games with the dialog, we should all know who all the characters are now. :)

youre kinda silly on those comments unless you havent realized,
1st on entire gandalf sequence during all the movie he talk on riddle like thing so he kept his character, for example the good morning riddle making talk with bilbo at the beginning of the movie or:

when he get angry with the dwarves, more riddle like talking ( he could tewll em directly but thats not like him)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5bKrvqxvw

about bard, did thorin ever mentioned his name to him? i dont think so thats why he got surprised by the name, people there are used to see dwarves but none with the name of thorin...

and keep in mind they are not speaking to you, they are speaking amongst themselves (there not god that see it all on screen) and thorin only saw azog "reborn" after they escaped the goblin town...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Going to be a LOT of good stuff, I hope! Prices be damned, it's just too cool to resist!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't care so much about prices as long as they release some plastic sets of 10-12 minis of Lakemen or Mirkwood warriors. If that been the case with the Gundabad Orcs I would definitely had bought them. Can't wait for the releases though...or some sort of sneek peak..
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galanur wrote:
youre kinda silly on those comments unless you havent realized, 1st on entire gandalf sequence during all the movie he talk on riddle like thing so he kept his character, for example the good morning riddle making talk with bilbo at the beginning of the movie or:when he get angry with the dwarves, more riddle like talking ( he could tewll em directly but thats not like him)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5bKrvqxvwabout bard, did thorin ever mentioned his name to him? i dont think so thats why he got surprised by the name, people there are used to see dwarves but none with the name of thorin...

I admit I can be silly, but not in my thought of these exchanges.

I don't have a problem with characters being themselves. It is when the great dialog and suspense is built for nothing that I have an issue with. The Bard hunting down the tapestry and then remembering the old poem, I thought this was awesome. He is supposed to lead his people and should have had some insight into the days of old. But all the work was let down when suddenly Dwalin just tells everyone who Thorin is. It would serve well to have Bard be the one to have pushed his way through to say "you know who this is, it is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror...yadda yadda. What was the point of Bard learning the info if it served him not at all?

Gandalf's one was just funny since he was talking to Radaghast who should have had some knowledge of who he was talking about. Either way, he took his time saying it for our amusement.

Goblin King though was very annoying. I know Thorin was not yet aware that Azog was alive. But the "guess who I am thinking of" game of words doesn't play well becase we the audience are the ones that all the dialog is for, we are the paying customers and are watching the film and we all know fully that Azog is alive. So to listen to the whole transaction seams a bit much when it is only thorin who cares about azog being alive. Now again, this would have been better served had Azog not been alive and the pale orc 'guessing game' was actually referring to Bolg. That would have been awesome... and the sentence, "you think his defiling days are done do you?" in reference to Azog being Dead... well His defiling days could be carried on in his blood line through Bolg right and then this entire exchange would be suspenseful and well written. instead it is very narrowly aimed at the single character and not for the audience benefit at all.
Who did Thorin think the Gblin king was think of?
Who did the Scribe go to tell when he went to send word to the pale orc? The pale orc is right outside, so is the scribe going to show up to an empty Gundabad cave and take over as ruler? all a waste of story fragments not used. And in the end after full speed, balls out, running through Goblin Town by the dwarves, the fat Goblin King who fell off the platform was able to get well ahead of them to be waiting and didn't bring anyone with him to help fight.
I love the films, from a fantasy standpoint there is a lot of great visual stuff, but it is written like a B movie full of wasted moments, and idea's that were not fleshed out well.