All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:26 am

Post subject: Help Numenor 500pts/750pts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I just picked up Isildur, Elendil, 2 Spearmen and 28 Swordsmen and was wondering how to make a nice little list out of them. I haven't got the Kingdoms of Men book yet but am planning on getting it, some more spears, bows and maybe a mounted Isildur if I can find one. I will be converting some captains as well as maybe some mounted Numenoreans (Btw is it 6pts or 10pts to give a Warrior a horse) for home games only of course! Also how do these guys normally fair on the field? I've heard some bad things but the models do look cool in my opinion... Thanks! :)

Post subject: Re: Help Numenor 500pts/750pts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here's a nice little something you can put together for 500pts

Warband 1 - 194
Isildur
5 Warriors of Numenor
Shields
6 Warriors of Numenor
Shields and Spears

Warband 2 - 128
Captain of Numenor
Heavy Armour
Shield
4 Warriors of Numenor
Shield
4 Warriors of Numenor
Shield and Spear

Warband 3 - 174pts
King of Men (Arnorian, Isildur's brother)
Armoured Horse
Heavy Armour
Shield
Lance
6 Knights of Minas Tirith (Could use these profiles to represent the mounted Numenoreans you want to include. Lower fight value but higher defence and lances should offset that).
Shields

To take it up to 750 points I'd put Isildur in to warband two, replacing the captain, and then bring it up to a full warband of twelve (and add the last warrior in to warband one). Then I'd put Elendil in to warband one as your army general. If there are any points left over after that I'd put some Guards of the Fountain Court or maybe Citadel Guard in to Warband 3 to represent some more elite guard of the King.

How does that work?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Definitely get some more spear men. Whether via buying or converting. A nice unit of archers too. Also look into getting Elendil mounted, With his free heroic combats you get even more out of him.

For warriors and heroes when you add their attacks and wounds together and the sum is less than 3, then a horse/warg/etc. costs 6pts. If greater than 3, it's 10pts.

One thing I would change in that list is to shift your points around and give Isildur a horse. For heroes like him, they just get so much more out of being mounted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

not to mention he can use the ring on horse and make an entire model invisible lol
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree about Isildur on horse, only used him on it a few times but thoe times he has done far better then without. At 750pts I'd start thinking of using Elendil if you are going pure/heavy on Numenor, as Fight 7 and free heroic combats is pretty powerfull.
One thing I'd maybe do is use rivendell knights rather then minas tirith ones, as it is fluffy (the numenorians being the majority of the army with a small support from the elves) and I think better.
Numenorian bowmen need to be maxed out to be effecitve, they are not as bad as everyone says, but don't expect wonders and you wont be disappointed and get the odd pleasant surprise.
Get more spearmen whilst you can, and make sheild walls, using your heroes to deal with monsters/heroes or breaking the enemy walls, also think about giving some of those guys axes ^^.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies everyone! Gwaryan I really appreciate the list but I have decided to up the list to 1000pts. I managed to get a look at the book today and have made a 1000pts list. As for the others I do plan on getting Isildur and Elendil mounted! So I do apologise if the points are a bit off as I'm going on memory here!

Numenor 1000pts

Warband 1 - 280pts
Elendil with Shield and Horse
X12 Warriors of Numenor with X4 Spears and Shields, X4 Bows and X4 Shields

Warband 2 - 215pts
Isildur with Shield and Horse

Warband 3 - 175pts
Numenorean Captain with Heavy Armour, Lance and Horse

Warband 4 - 165pts
Numenorean Captain with Heavy Armour and Shield

Warband 5 - 165pts
Numenorean Captain with Heavy Armour and Bow

Total - 1000pts, 65 Models, 33 Break Point, 21 Bows

So what do you guys think? All comments and criticisms welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd try and mix some banners in there, especially at 1000 pts. Your survivability is pretty low so the banner usually pays off more. It makes the list less crisp but will improve your chances.

I personally wouldn't give the captain a bow, he is more suited to having a shield, unless of course you move all the archers to 1 warband, which you might be better off doing after some playtesting.

My 500pt list is 12 Shield, 12 Spear & Shield, 12 Bow, Isildur, 2 Captains then modify as you like with horses and armour etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well to add some Banners I could remove 3 Models from the last 2 Warbands and have a Banner in each... I'll show what I mean below. I would rather give the Captain a Bow as it gives the Captains variety and should the Warbands be rearranged he can still lead an Archer Warband. The idea behind the Warbands was to have Phalanxes with a Shieldwall of 4 with 2 Axes and 2 Swords, followed by 4 Bowmen and supported by 4 spears. The first 3 Warbands would take centre and the last 2 Warbands take the Flanks. That's why the last 2 Warbands have the Banners, so they can join the centre when they hit the enemy and give their bonuses!

Numenor 1000pts

Warband 1 - 280pts
Elendil with Shield and Horse

Warband 2 - 215pts
Isildur with Shield and Horse

Warband 3 - 175pts
Numenorean Captain with Heavy Armour, Lance and Horse

Warband 4 - 165pts
Numenorean Captain with Heavy Armour and Shield
X9 Warriors of Numenor with X3 Spears and Shields, X3 Bows, X3 Shields and a Banner

Warband 5 - 165pts
Numenorean Captain with Heavy Armour and Bow
X9 Warriors of Numenor with X3 Spears and Shields, X3 Bows, X3 Shields and a Banner

Total - 1000pts, 59 Models, 30 Break Point, 21 Bows

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks good, your going to have serious trouble against the multiple monsters and casters you'll face at this points level but there is not much you can do against it with any kingdom of men faction, so your best bet may be to ally in some elves or something.
Keeping pure men, your going to have to focus on trying to protect elendil and Isildur from magic, whilst using them and the captians to try and take out monsters as quick as possible, the problem is that evil can get so many casters and monsters in at this points level you'll have to play elendil and Isildur very well to handle it.
Must admit it is nice to see someone else using Numenor other then me :P Got me thinking of even maybe using pure Numenor to the next throne of skulls.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah I know what you mean! GW discontinuing them doesn't help either but I think that's why I like them, because they're so uncommon. Anyhow as regards to the Monster/Caster thing I have just received the models in the post so I will have to get some practice in :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If your willing to convert or bend it a bit, it could be an idea to include things like swann knights, fountain court guard and citidel guard as these seem to have been established early on in the last two cases, and in the former is either likewise, or you could convert some Numenorian knights to be led by a captain or maybe prince Imrahil counting as Isildur's brother? A list using this is:
Elendil on horse with shield
12 Warriors of Numenor, 4 with bows, 4 with sheilds, 4 with spears and shields
Beregond (I'd headswap him with a numenorian and say he is the first captain/leader amoung the citidel guard) 4 citidel guard with longbows, 8 guard of the fountain court
Captain of Dol Amoth on armoured horse with lance
5 Knights of Dol armoth on armoured horses with lances (Numenorian Knights)
Would prefer more Numenor, but this could be a way to do it in a roundabout way :P