All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:25 pm

Post subject: 'High quality resin'
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quick question for those that have purchased figures from GW recently.

The figures no longer mention Finecast, but 'high quality resin' instead. Have they actually started casting the figures in something that doesn't look like it belongs on the top of a Latte because it's so bubbly? :wink:

I've asked the question of customer service, but they have not deigned to respond. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more of the GW exclusive figures if the medium they are using now gives better finished product.

Anybody else notice that all 5 army books for LotR have disappeared from the website?

Post subject: Re: 'High quality resin'
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

AFAIK it`s still finecast resin but with marginally better quality control.

And all LotRs books are still there for me - although IIRC didn`t they used to have their own tab as opposed to being a sub category of the hobbit?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:13 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Athelas wrote:
Quick question for those that have purchased figures from GW recently.

The figures no longer mention Finecast, but 'high quality resin' instead. Have they actually started casting the figures in something that doesn't look like it belongs on the top of a Latte because it's so bubbly? :wink:

I've asked the question of customer service, but they have not deigned to respond. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more of the GW exclusive figures if the medium they are using now gives better finished product.

Anybody else notice that all 5 army books for LotR have disappeared from the website?

That is a good question. I asked about the new material about a year ago. The resin material I asked about was not the same type of resin as the original fine cast resin. I have not seen anything lately. I wont repeat what I heard. I had a nice conversation with some Forgeworld guys at Gen Con. Nice to meet them in person. They have no plans to make anything that I am interested in. Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

about the books, the free peoples are gone for 2 months for me know, but the other four are still listed under the hobbit books..

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There is the odd description here and there that still mentions finecast. All other products have lost the corresponding logo and are only described as 'high quality resin' or somesorts nowadays, but all of that only changed with the new website. Although the material was changed a bit in the beginning, I'm fairly certain there is no difference in material from just before and after the website changed, only the descriptions. Reckon the finecast brand simply got a bad reputation, so they stopped using it (the name, that is). The (lack of) quality is unchanged.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The newest resin I have is Beorn and Bear. Which is certainly a different consistency from early fine cast (like the Warg Marauders). It seems much harder and less bendy. The quality is also much better, certainly nothing like the 4 boxes of Rohan Command we had to open in a GW to get a human looking King’s Huntsman.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I never had much of the LOTR resin, since I bought most of that when it came out. But 99% of that (easterling mounted heroes, Beast of Gorgoroth, Newer Goblin heroes) were fine for model standards and I never returned a single mini for quality. I have had a ton of metals that were off set molded with mold lines a mm thick of metal that had to be filed for ever. And I had a lot of metals with that super rough texture on it that needed filing, and tons of flash on them. I expect they had bubble issues with those models many years ago but since they were making metal all the time they got really good and eventually they were all fairly good metal models they made. Resin I think they had a learning curve as well since the newer models (of which I have plenty) have almost no bubbles or shorts and I have not had any of the off set molding issues I had with metals I have bought. I still like the strength and feel of a metal model, but resin has not been a problem for me at all. I feel that I have had more issues with metal models not fitting, being bent badly, bad mold lines and poor quality then I have with resin models to date.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sithious, I looked through your page again. Really nice work.

I was not trying to open up the fine cast issue again. I was wondering if there had been another change.
GW plastic and metal quality is another issue. Poor fit and bad cast are or may be two different issues. Poor design or poor quality control. GW is not what it once was.

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Michaelc wrote:
And all LotRs books are still there for me - although IIRC didn`t they used to have their own tab as opposed to being a sub category of the hobbit?

I should have qualified my statement; All the Army books are missing on the Australian website along with the DoS sourcebook being NLA. :?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just received a reply from GW customer service regarding the absence of the books and the casting material being used for the models.

Quote:
These books are no longer in production and we have sold through our quantities here in Australia, and will not be getting more stock.

We would be happy to let you know that the Resin miniatures we use are made of Citadel finecast and this has not changed. Hope that this helps and if you have any other questions please contact us again.

Not much news there to get me turning cartwheels. In fact, it's pretty much all bad... :o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The finecast definately is getting better.
I have 2 boxes of galadhrim command, an old one and a new one.
It is obvious the resin has changed its consistency.
Much less flash, bubbles and weak spots.
The new ones all look good.