All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:29 pm

Post subject: Re: 350 pts tournament armies
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gondorian Captain wrote:
Not quite true. Sometimes with all cav you need to know when its time to dismount and win the day on foot. I once had to do this with all mounted rohan to win seize the prize.

But 12 Sons of Eorl an foot are less dangerous than 12 Sons of Eorls on their super horses ;)

Gondorian Captain wrote:
Yeah one thing that's often forgotten is that its knowing how to use a list to its fullest that makes a great player, not the list itself.

You are right! But at 350 points there are a few lists even a good player with rhe wrong army (it does not have to be a weak army) does not stand a chance. And I want an army, which is able to win against anything, if a play it right and with a bit luck. And at the moment I'm not relly happy with army...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:38 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Elves and Dwarves usually work pretty well. Your list with Thranduil and Thorin looks pretty good. Here's my 350 list:
W1:
Suladan with Horse
6 Half Trolls

W2:
Ringwraith 2/8/1
6 Orcs with Spear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

NarsilReforged wrote:
Elves and Dwarves usually work pretty well. Your list with Thranduil and Thorin looks pretty good. Here's my 350 list:
W1:
Suladan with Horse
6 Half Trolls

W2:
Ringwraith 2/8/1
6 Orcs with Spear
Your list is straight forward into close combat, but I don't think it'd work at a tournament, because you are low on models and can loose to may to range weapons, but if there is many terrain and you don't play against elves or uruks with crossbows, it could work.

I made up my mind again and realized I'd really like to play a ringwraith on felbeast, because its good against everything I will face (big heros, high model count, monsters and magic) but I don't have a list written yet.
Absolutly cool would be the undying and the knight of umbar both on fellbeasts, but the problem is they are not allowed to move into woodland terrain and similiar so it would be a really high risk.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I got a fun list that even gives troubles to horde army for some reasons

Warband 1

Erkenbrand
7 Outriders

Warband 2
Grimbold
10 helmingas with axes

Warband 3
Eowyn with shield and armour
10 helmingas with axes

total: 349pts

models: 30
might: 7

Why no shields on the helmingas? well lets see
a guy with a low defence, beneath defence 3 wont matter cause you wont wound on less than 3+, just like goblins, they go gain however minimum S5 if they win combat up to S7 and of course while erkenbrand is alive they are as courageous as elves so combined being cheap for 7pts high S and high courage and numbers... this should be a rather interesting list..

I had no point for horse options else woudl had mounted up the heroes, and I also included a decent group of outriders for a good shooting round.

What you think?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This list could work, but in my opinion it is too straight forward. There is nothing that will suprise the opponent. But I'll keep it in mind.
Another problem is you have only f3 and no spears supporting and no banner. It will be difficult to move all helmingas into base to base contact. So you could loose many models in the first combat rounds.

I thought about an all hero army leaded by aragorn using is free might point:
Aragorn on horse
Legolas on horse
2 Rangers of the North with spears on horses

The problem is, hat I have not enough bows to use aragorns might in the shout phase and I need luck to kill important targetd at the beginning.

Another idea:
Aragorn on horse or with elvencloak
1 Ranger of Anor with spear

Legolas with elvencloak
4 Mirkwood Ranger

The elven cloaks are nice against armies based on range weapons. I think it would be fun to play this list, even if it may won't work.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

you got the battle report I´ve sent you and tried out the previous list and helmigas worked cause they were so many bs so few so its easy to trap and overwhelm...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, thank you again! The problem is, I don't have many of the models (and even less axes).

But I'm back to the roots and wrote a new list with a monster, because it is so much fun to play monsters!

Ringwraith 2/0/2
4 Orcs with shields
2 Orcs with spears
2 Orcs with spears and two handed weapons
4 Orctracker

Buhrdur
4 Orcs with shields
4 Orcs with spears
4 Orctracker

3x1 Fell Warg

I heard there will be at least or two Isengard armies but I think there will be everything you can imagine from shire to fiefdoms.